Ohio State Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Human_Genome

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who are applying to ohio state,

for their secondary question, "Please describe your motivation for a career in medicine and experiences you have had that helped confirm this desire," can we just use our personal statement or do we need to write a separate essay? I pretty much talked about my motivation and my experiences in my personal statement already.

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you could say "I really wanna help people. For the full story, see my AMCAS personal statement. Go Buckeyes!"

I wrote a separate essay along the same lines as my PS, but took a different approach. I think they want something different, but I could be wrong.

Don't just refer to the AMCAS essay -- surely you didn't say everything you possibly could there. The adcomm will read the essay and the secondary together, so the secondary gives you a chance to fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle and reveal more about your personality. View this question as an opportunity to fill in some gaps in the picture you're trying to create. If you discussed the most important aspect of your clinical experience in your AMCAS essay, for this question you can discuss some other aspects of that experience while reminding your reader briefly of the points made in the AMCAS essay. Alternatively, you can discuss a volunteer experience that you didn't have room to mention in the AMCAS essay and reinforce some of the points you made there using different anecdotes and examples. As always use specifics, but remember to reflect on those incidents so the reader will know why you considered them important enough to include.

For more advice on secondaries, check out http://www.accepted.com/medical/secondaryessay.aspx

Good luck!