1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ohio State status change TOMORROW

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drhouse, Dec 7, 2005.

1. drhouse

drhouse Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have been complete at Ohio State for a month and a half or so, with no word on an interview, and I just got an email that says that my application status has recently changed. The status page will be updated tomorrow. Seems like they could have sent me the email when it was TOMORROW, so I didn't have to stress about it. Anybody else get this before? Was it a rejection or an interview?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lynn42

lynn42 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just received the same email. However, I have been complete since August. I am assuming it is probably an interview because med schools typically send rejections via US mail. :luck:

4. happydays

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    most likely an interview. Congrats!

5. drhouse

drhouse Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Cool. Does anybody know anything about the school, other than its ranking. Any fun tidbits or criticisms? All I know about THE Ohio State University is that its football team perrenially kicks a$s, and thats its in Ohio, and that it has a medical school (b/c AMCAS said so).

6. FutureDrKt

FutureDrKt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You think this is bad? Wait until the email regards an admissions decision that won't be up until tomorrow. That was a tough night. Yep, they do your decision notification in the same way. It's cool if you get in though, the website cheers for you and plays music.
    I liked OSU alright when I was there. The directions from the website were good, and I thought the medical center area was quite pretty. Everyone in admissions was nice and the facilities seemed great. I was not a big fan of the student tour guides we had. They were all a bit outspoken and cocky. However the other students I interviewed with were really nice, and I think that would be more reflective of next year's class in any case. Good luck!

7. Emergency!

Emergency! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I posted this in the Ohio State thread that popped up a couple of days ago, but I will repeat it.

I asked in admissions what was up with the getting the e-mail about their has been a status change but it won't be posted until the next day, as it does seem a little cruel. Here is the deal . . . Ohio State is "live" with AMCAS. What all that means, I'm not sure, something to do with the fact that their database updates directly from AMCAS, rather than them maintaining a completely separate one. So, when your status changes at Ohio State (interview, rejection, deferred, etc), the admissions office enters this change into AMCAS. This generates an e-mail from AMCAS that your status has changed at Ohio State. However, Ohio State's system doesn't update this information from AMCAS until that night. This is why they included the phrase in there that it will be updated the next day.

As far as Ohio State . . . The Ohio State University is one of the largest institutions in the country with ~50,000 students. The medical school class is also large, with class sizes around 210. It has all the advantages and disadvantages you would expect of such a large institution. The OSU Medical Center is a world class institution with just about any specialty you could imagine. They have a wonderful dedicated cancer hospital, the Ross Heart Hospital just opened a year or so ago, the Heart/Lung Research Institute, and construction of the new biomedical research tower should be completed next year. Unfortunately, not something you will get to see a lot of on your tour, due to time constraints.

Check out all the stuff on the website. Obviously, its designed to give a good impression, but I think Ohio State's website gives a lot of information compared to the websites of most of the other schools I applied to.

One of the cooler things about Ohio State is the choice of curriculum pathways for your first two years. After the whole class does anatomy, you have the choice to do the more traditional Integrated Pathway or the Independent Study Pathway which has been around since about 1970. Ohio State also offers a number of combined degree programs: MD/JD, MD/MBA, MD/PhD, MD/MPH. They just got a grant from the NIH for training medical students in clinical research. The program offers a summer of research methods classes (paid stiped) during the summer after your first or second year, and then you can do your MPH between your 2nd and 3rd year (with a paid stiped).

If you have any specific questions about Ohio State, feel free to post them or PM me. Always happy to help.

I hope your change is for an interview. Good luck!

8. sandg

sandg Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

AmyBEMT seems to always be on top of answering questions about OSU. If, however, you want any second opinions about anything, drop me a PM.

9. pseudoknot

Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This appears to be true; the status change emails are sent by an aamc.org server.

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but my status page was updated at exactly 6am Eastern time (I work overnight, so I was obsessively refreshing the page).

For those who know, what does it mean to be deferred at OSU? Is this basically the waitlist, or is it possible to be admitted before the May movement starts?

10. Emergency!

Emergency! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, it's bascially the waitlist. I know a few people who have been changed from "deferred" to admitted before May, but there's very little change in the deferred list until interviews are done, and usually not until the May 15th deadline. Don't give up, though! A lot of people in my class were admitted off the deferred list - myself included (on May 18).

Good luck!

Amy
    fka AmyBEMt

11. FutureDocGL

FutureDocGL Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I suppose it could be either, but my bet is an interview. I got one like that too and got an interview. Good Luck!

12. godawgs39

godawgs39 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but just be prepared in the event that it is not an interview...I got the e-mail a couple weeks later, the next day, my status said that my file was closed. I hope you guys don't have the same result, but just be aware that it's not a guarenteed interview. Good luck!