Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ohio State University adcom meetings

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Messerschmitts, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Messerschmitts

Messerschmitts Mythic Dawn acolyte
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey guys, I interviewed at OSU on 11/14, a decision was made on 11/30. I was unfortunately deferred for now. I am wondering what the OSU adcom's meeting schedule is. In other words, when's the next chance I have of getting in? 12/30? Do they meet exactly once a month on the 30th? God I want to attend OSU so badly!

2. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think they said they form a waitlist around March or something. I'm not really sure.

3. Emergency!

Emergency! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The adcom actually meets every interview day, but I'm not sure how the process actually works for being "deferred". I have heard of some people who were originally deferred and then were rejected a few weeks later (sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear), but others don't hear anything until they form a waitlist (and I'm not even sure about that). I interviewed in February last year, was "deferred", and then never heard anything else from them until they called me in May to offer me a spot. There was an option last year on the status page to indicate whether you wished to remain in consideration for the waitlist.

I will add the "deferred" thing to my list of questions to ask the admissions office. I plan on stopping in tomorrow (when I'm on campus, I try and offer rides to the airport for interviewees if my schedule allows).

4. Messerschmitts

Messerschmitts Mythic Dawn acolyte
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh, if you could find out anything else about the deferred "timeframe" and process from the adcoms and post it here, I would be very grateful! Thank you AmyBEMT! I was so impressed with OSU when I went to interview, they sold me 10 times over. :p

5. Emergency!

Emergency! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Okay - I talked to ladies in Admissions. Hopefully, I get this right.

About "deferred" status.
    They review deferred files once a month until April. It is possible, although not likely, that your status could be changed to admitted at that time. It is based on a variety of factors, including (but not limited to) how many people have been accepted and what your adcom vote was. In April (after interviews are done for the year), you go on the "waitlist". They don't like to assign numbers to the waitlist, top half, bottom half, etc. As people who have been accepted withdraw and the class size drops below the maximum, they start calling people who were deferred. In the past few years, about 50% of those who were on the deferred list eventually end up getting accepted. Serious movement starts in May when people have to drop all but one acceptance.

Next question: If the adcom meets right after interviews, why does it take two weeks to post status changes?
    It's kind of a random thing. They used to only send out acceptances once a month, but decided that was unfair to people who interview early in the month. So, they changed it to every two weeks. However, there have been some changes in that, and the every two weeks thing is not set in stone either. The files do receive some additional review in the admissions office before they are finalized and handed over for uploading. The uploading process is also time consuming.

Why did I get an e-mail that my status has changed, but I can't view the changes until the next day?
    It has to do with the computer system(s). Ohio State is "live" with AMCAS. So, when they go in and change your status at Ohio State with AMCAS, it generates the e-mail you get that says your status has changed. The problem is, the e-mails go out as soon as they enter the change, but the updating to Ohio State's status page only takes place overnight. It COULD be done so that the e-mail isn't generated until after the page is updated, but it basically requires the info to be entered in twice. This doubles the amount of work and requires that the files sit out another day. I know this seems trivial to you guys, but if you take into consideration the volume of applications that the admissions ladies deal with, I think its understandable.

Btw - if there are those of you waiting for interview invites from OSU, READ YOUR EMAILS THOROUGHLY. There have been a few people this year who didn't read the part about the status change not being available until the next day who have missed their interviews because they went in immediately upon receiving the e-mail. They saw that the status page now had LOR's updated or something like that and assumed that was the status change. Had they checked the next day, they would have seen the interview invite.

Okay - that's it for this edition of my quest to provide truthful information and clear up misconceptions about Ohio State.

Hope that helps, and good luck to you all.

Amy

6. FutureDrKt

FutureDrKt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

AmyBEMT,
    How are you liking OSU? I was admitted there last month, and I liked the faculty and facilities, but I was unsure about the students that I met there. They all seemed like gunner, future-surgeon sort of people, and I don't think I would get along with them. Were these people an exception, or is your class fairly cuthroat and competetive? An insider's perspective would be appreciated!

7. Emergency!

Emergency! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think our class actually gets along very well. There are those, obviously, who you know are out to score as high as they can on everything, but even most of those people will help others out. During anatomy, people routinely e-mailed out things (flow charts, weblinks, etc) that they had made or found helpful to the entire class. I have been impressed with how much people are willing to help each other out.

I don't think that the students you meet with on interview day are necessarily representative of the class as a whole. And, each class tends to be different in its dynamics. Some would argue that you should pay more attention to the people you interview with rather than the current student, because your fellow interviewee's are the ones that will be your classmates.

Congrats on your acceptance! Maybe we'll see you here next year.

Amy