1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ohio State University vs. NOVA Dental

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by asmith15, Dec 8, 2008.

1. asmith15

Pre-Dental
    Fortunately I have been blessed with the opportunity to choose between two great dental schools, OSU and NOVA. I am still extremely torn on deciding which offer of admissions I should accept...

If anyone has any feedback on their time spent at either of the two schools it would be greatly appreciated.

2. TJNova2011

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Since it looks like you're from Ohio, take you state school and save your arm and leg! Nova is nice, but not worth the ~100k more you'll gain in debt. (However, if the Buckeyes loose in Glendale, vs. Texas, then it might be worth it)

3. War Eagle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Just my two cents, but I have heard nothing really bad about tOSU and have heard nothing really good about Nova. That's why I'm highly considering attending tOSU and didn't apply to Nova.

4. TJNova2011

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I love the t in the OSU. The Ohio State is a really good school. I have a few friends that attend and love it...

5. TJNova2011

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Maybe it's because they get T.P. for 3 more years at QB?

6. Oralfixation

Oralfixation Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ohio, the deer hunting there is wonderful.

7. asmith15

Pre-Dental
    I am from Oregon (not Ohio haha), and I am going Air Force so finance is definitely not the largest issue. I also have heard nothing but great things about tOSU (I like that), but being from Oregon I am feeling like flippin up the weather scene a little bit and the state of Ohio is pretty similar to Oregon (but just not quite as cool :D).

I feel like tOSU has a great reputation which would help with future job security, however, I have heard that NOVA's alumni are also highly respected, and job security won't be much of an issue as I'll be in the Air Force clinics for for years post-d-school.

Anything else?

8. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Which school you attended will have very little to do with your future job prospects as long as you graduate. Especially since you will be training with the Air Force for 3 years before going out to look for a real world job, employer dentists will more likely be interested in your skills and personality than the name of the school on your diploma.

9. jp370

5+ Year Member

Ohio!!!!!

10. nydds25

2+ Year Member

11. TJNova2011

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    My bad, dental school does that to you :D!

12. leoele

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'd vote for Ohio. I thought the community there was pretty fantastic.

13. DDSjunior

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    As an OSU dent student, I'd say go where you feel comfortable. Ive been to Nova and checked it out and here are some differences that were important to me.
    -Nova is a building on a very busy street, OSU is a beautiful campus.
    -Nova has tons of mixed professional students, where OSU just incorporates dental students with dental students.
    -It's nice just being separate and you get real close with your classmates.
    -Nova obviously has the weather.
    -I have heard shady things about Nova like other people, but I have friends that go there and love it.
    -Not that OSU is a perfect school, but I think that it gets the job done and tries to meet the students needs and happiness level.
    -I also think the professors are hysterical.

Bottom line. Dental school sucks. Lots of work, lots of stress. All schools are the same. However, what makes it easier is you being in a place you feel comfortable in. I really liked OSU when I interviewed and just felt like it was for me. So far its panned out.

Good Luck