Ohio State University vs UChicago Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctortimer

Reaction score
OSU (50% tuition OOS student)
Pros:
- Robust and early clinical training
- so many resources; well funded institution
- strong SNMA chapter/emphasis on diversity
-large black student population
-I love college football (GO BUCKEYES)
-shorter preclinical curriculum
-opportunity to apply for in state tuition for 2nd/3rd/4th years
-amazing mentorship opportunities
-Ultrasound and simulation lab
-amazing facilities and clinical training sites
-better prep for residency in terms of clinical training
-cheaper cost of living?
-mentored research opportunities

I feel like this school will provide me with the best clinical training out of the two, which is really important to me as well. I want to be well prepared for residency but is it worth the extra debt?

Cons:
- Expensive (over $250k in debt even w scholarship)
- Don’t know much about the city of Columbus
- large class size (less opportunities for close meaningful relationships potentially)
- weather?
-overemphasis on rankings by the institution (Chicago has never mentioned their ranking and OSU mentions theirs constantly)
-hard to apply and establish residency

UChicago Pritzker (75% tuition scholarship)
Pros
- such positive and supportive admin/students throughout the application process (having supportive admin and peers is so important to me)
-Small class size, responsive administration, and closer to family/home than OSU
-Diverse student population
-emphasis on advocacy/service/health disparities which I am very passionate about (a huge part of my Why medicine? Is to reduce racial health disparities)
- large black student population; strong SNMA chapter
- community health and med education tracks that can help me with my advocacy goals and potentially pursue an academic medical career
-scholarship and discovery: individually mentored research project
-living in Chicago seems like a really cool city to be in
- students seem so friendly GroupMe is very lively
-ranking (Chicago seems to be ranked highly as a medical school so might be important moving forward with Step 1 becoming pass/fail but I like how they never overemphasize their rank)
- robust free clinic opportunities
- cheaper in terms of tuition ($150k in debt)
-I feel like I will be developed into an advocate for my patients here because this school fits my why medicine completely.

Cons
- Clinical: haven’t heard much about clinical training at Pritzker...worried about being prepared for residency since clinical training seems to be delayed in the traditional 18 month curriculum (if someone knows more please let me know)
- Curriculum: longer preclinical; not exposed to clinical training as quickly
AOA: Worried AOA might affect match
- Weather: born and raised in the south worried about surviving the winter

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cons
- Clinical: haven’t heard amazing things about clinical training at Pritzker...worried about being prepared for residency since clinical training seems to be delayed in the traditional 18 month curriculum (if someone knows more please let me know)
Bro what are you even talking about. This is textbook over-analysis...You will be equally "prepared" (really, unprepared) for residency from both of them.

Go to Pritzker, it's 100k cheaper...

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed don’t overthink this - clinical training will be equivalent at the two places (academic hospitals are *generally* equivalent for med students).

UChicago - it’s more affordable and it is much easier to match to both competitive specialties and to top programs from there.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone from Ohio and from OSU, I didn’t even have to read most of your post to recommend Pritzker immediately

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The quality of your clinical training is ultimately down to your own personal drive and the luck of the draw with attendings and residents. Take the money.

Reactions: 1 user
- Clinical: haven’t heard amazing things about clinical training at Pritzker...worried about being prepared for residency since clinical training seems to be delayed in the traditional 18 month curriculum (if someone knows more please let me know)
As a current student, I have no idea where this perception started..... have never heard any of the upperclassmen/alum I know ever complain about the quality of clinical training lmao??

Reactions: 1 users
As a current student, I have no idea where this perception started..... have never heard any of the upperclassmen/alum I know ever complain about the quality of clinical training lmao??

I don't know why pre-meds worry so much about this anyway. Clinical training at the medical school level is going to be pretty much the same at the vast majority of schools.

Is there a hospital associated? Do they offer the needed rotations? That's about the only consideration. I'm about to enter residency and know that I had a awesome clinical experience but also know that I am going to seem dumb as **** starting off regardless lol...

Reactions: 1 users
Bro what are you even talking about. This is textbook over-analysis...You will be equally "prepared" (really, unprepared) for residency from both of them.

Go to Pritzker, it's 100k cheaper...
Ok thank you for being so kind and taking the time to reply!

Agreed don’t overthink this - clinical training will be equivalent at the two places (academic hospitals are *generally* equivalent for med students).

UChicago - it’s more affordable and it is much easier to match to both competitive specialties and to top programs from there.
Thank you!