Ohio State v. EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohio state or EVMS?

• Ohio State

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • EVMS

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

herropanda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was recently accepted off the waitlist at Ohio State and I'm currently holding a seat at Eastern Virginia Medical School. I was hoping for some input because there is so much to consider. Here is what I'm thinking:

Ohio:
- Larger school, more opportunities, more well-known
- Becoming eligible for in-state tuition (saving ~$75000 over four years), but I have to pay for all of it in loans with interest starting to accrue immediately. I have no idea how much that will add up to over time.

EVMS:
- Better lifestyle, weather
- I have connections in Norfolk where I would live in a condo rent free, only paying utilities
- Able to receive financial help from my parents instead of taking out all loans, but I would be paying out of state tuition for all four years. It's pretty expensive.

Both schools have not given me scholarship/financial aid info, but there is little to no chance of money at Ohio, some chance at EVMS. EVMS financial aid packages are scheduled to go out on Friday.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd see if I could postpone giving OSU a decision until Friday, so you can take a peak at EVMS's fin aid package. One thing about living at OSU-- it's going to cost you around 650-1100 in rent + utilities per month depending on if you get a roommate (I just looked at housing there). I would also add that housing isn't that great-- you can live on campus and deal with noisy undergrads, or off campus and pay bookoo bucks for housing with bad reviews. I'm a girl, though, so safe and comfortable housing is a big issue for me.

Otherwise, just given the huge savings, I'd go with OSU.

If I were in your position, I would probably choose Ohio state because of its in state tuition and the reputation of the school. The loan that you save can help you save another huge sum from interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd see if I could postpone giving OSU a decision until Friday, so you can take a peak at EVMS's fin aid package. One thing about living at OSU-- it's going to cost you around 650-1100 in rent + utilities per month depending on if you get a roommate (I just looked at housing there). I would also add that housing isn't that great-- you can live on campus and deal with noisy undergrads, or off campus and pay bookoo bucks for housing with bad reviews. I'm a girl, though, so safe and comfortable housing is a big issue for me.

Otherwise, just given the huge savings, I'd go with OSU.

I'm an undergrad at OSU. I live in a 3 bedroom house (house, not apartment) two blocks away from the med center and pay about 500 a month including utilities and this is considered high for the area. I'm not sure what poster above me is talking about. I'm assuming you are looking at places for this upcoming fall? Thus the costs will be higher since there aren't many places left to live? Also, FYI, since my roommates and I think we're paying too much, we're moving to an apartment next year that will save us about 50-70 bucks a month on rent.

What sites have you guys been using to look for living at OSU?

It would be great if you have any suggestions on how I should go about looking. I have only browsed on craistlist and university housing and it didn't look very promising. I'm planning on living with my SO who has long been out of the university housing atmosphere so ideally we are looking for a nice (grown up? hah.) one or two bedroom apartment for about $1000.

When you say "university housing" i'm assuming you mean dorms?

I would look at realtors such as:
University Apartments
Buckeye Real Estate
North Steppe Realty

Olentangy Commons (this is just down the street from OSU and has less of an undergrad feel. many graduate students live here. a postdoc in my lab actually lives here)
University Village (This is very, very similar to Olentangy Commons. It even has its own bus service to and from campus).

After skimming through the prices for Olentangy Commons, you shouldn't have any problem finding something in your price range.

Link for some floor plans/prices for the OC: http://2203205.leaseheretoday.com/Floor-Plans.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.