Ohio State vs. AECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtonatedAlchy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both good schools. Out of state for OSU so tuition is very comparable, especially with cheap housing at AECOM. Not really sure how to decide, I feel I'm unfairly placing a biased emphasis on location...

Members don't see this ad.

It's allegedly pretty easy to switch to in-state after the first year at OSU, so there's a possibility that that could have a huge impact on the cost comparison

Also location, it's Columbus vs NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most out-of-state students are able to qualify as in-state for tuition purposes after the first year, so that really shouldn't be too much of an issue.

AE has cheaper housing than columbus? The cost of living in Columbus is extremely reasonable. Obviously, NYC is much cooler than Columbus, though. ;)

Wow. Congrats on getting off the deferred list at Ohio State!

I agree with the above posters. Location seems like the one reason to choose Einstein over Ohio State. Cheap housing combined with a great public transportation system (within NYC) is a big plus. Columbus is a fairly large city, but a car is probably necessary. Also, for culture. AECOM has a diverse class, but is part of traditionally Jewish university if you are Jewish or are interested in immersing yourself in that culture.

I say go with Ohio State for the program, facilities, prestige, and cost. I think a degree at Ohio State can take you farther, but that's also dependent on the person.

If you have time, I would wait for Einstein's financial aid, they seem pretty generous in their merit and need based scholarships

and as far as einstein's location, it seems like theres not that much going on in the bronx as far as night life, my tour guides were complaining that the 30-40min shuttle ride to manhattan was a hassle

I liked einstein a lot though because its block scheduling and pass/fail the students seemed very happy and chill

thanks all,
yea pass fail is another huge factor I was considering, Einstein gets the edge there

and somehow AECOM pulled off apartments for less than 500 a month
can't remember what columbus was but it seemed like most people rented a house in the city or close by OSU

I vote for OHSU.

I am working at Einstein now, and I did not even apply here. I can't say much about specifics of the MD program here because I'm not a student, but I live here and it's pretty depressing. It's at least an hour commute to Manhattan, and while housing is cheap, this neighborhood is completely deserted. Everything on campus closes on Friday for the sabbath (including vending machines), and the study space here is minimal (the library is tiny).

I interviewed at both. I liked OSU much, much more than AECOM. My "first impressions" from both (however accurate/inaccurate they may be):

Location: AECOM seemed kind of isolated to me - maybe because students said it's a 45 min-1 hr bus drive away from Manhattan. I walked from the subway station (Pelham Bay Park station, I think) to the school...and encountered one too many car chop shops for my liking. There's a McDonald's and Starbucks within walking distance to the school. OSU has High Street with tons of restaurants, shops - has more of an undergrad campus feel.

Housing: AECOM has cheap on-campus housing, but I'm not a fan of dorm style living. At OSU, you'd most likely rent an apartment off-campus, within walking distance...living expenses are not bad either.

Other pluses about OSU: Libraries - huge, gigantic, many. I like having places to study at. Rec center - awesome gym facilities. My friend treated me to a guest pass...really enjoyed it. School spirit - tons of Buckeye pride, football games at the stadium, paint your face...if you're into that sort of thing. Unique curriculum - option of independent study, which you decide a couple of months into year 1. I don't know if I'd necessary pick independent study, but I like having the option.

I really like OSU, in case you couldn't tell.

Most out-of-state students are able to qualify as in-state for tuition purposes after the first year, so that really shouldn't be too much of an issue.

AE has cheaper housing than columbus? The cost of living in Columbus is extremely reasonable. Obviously, NYC is much cooler than Columbus, though. ;)
Are there people who have not been able to?

I'm the opposite, I LOVED aecom, large city with weekend access to manhattan but don't have to pay the same cost of living. GREAT inner city hospitals which is my favorite! I actually like the jewish feel, which is not overpowering imo and im not jewish. Housing at Einstein seemed awesome, it is RIGHT across the street from the school, they have shuttle service and taxi service to the hospitals so you definitely don't need a car which is a super plus for me. And the housing is not dorm style ie you have your own bedroom and at max share a 3 bedroom apartments but they do have 2 bdrooms and to a lesser amount some single studios. I like the cirriculum the only thing im not super excited about is that i wish they had a better anesthesia program as that is what i think im interested in. Cost is definitely one of the cheapest of the private schools ~39k with health insurance it is around 42.5k (NY health insurance seems pricey if you look at all the NY schools). Including the cheap housing and good reputation einstein is a great deal. In all I definitely think Einstein is :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. I stopped going to a lot of interviews after i got in.

Also location, it's Columbus vs NYC.

buuuut it's really columbus vs. the bronx (more specifically).

Wow. Congrats on getting off the deferred list at Ohio State!

I agree with the above posters. Location seems like the one reason to choose Einstein over Ohio State. Cheap housing combined with a great public transportation system (within NYC) is a big plus. Columbus is a fairly large city, but a car is probably necessary. Also, for culture. AECOM has a diverse class, but is part of traditionally Jewish university if you are Jewish or are interested in immersing yourself in that culture.

I say go with Ohio State for the program, facilities, prestige, and cost. I think a degree at Ohio State can take you farther, but that's also dependent on the person.

nah, at einstein you're a bus ride or a hefty walk away from the closest subway... which, in NYC, classifies you as being in a pretty isolated area. NYC's amazing public transportation doesn't extend to all areas in all boroughs-- one of the many interesting sociological observations you can make if you're here. (usually it's low-income neighborhoods that end up relying on buses instead of subways, or if they do have a subway, it's elevated instead of underground. not always, but usually. just a fun fact.)

thanks for the responses everyone, as you can tell I'm still really divided. And even though its isolated, I have every intention of going into the city often. The one thing I think I'll really miss at AECOM is the undergrad feel and amazing gym at OSU haha

thanks for the responses everyone, as you can tell I'm still really divided. And even though its isolated, I have every intention of going into the city often. The one thing I think I'll really miss at AECOM is the undergrad feel and amazing gym at OSU haha

And OSU football.

Status
Not open for further replies.