Ohio State vs. Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been accepted to Ohio State off of their alternate list. Within 24 hours, I have to decide whether I want to go to OSU or to Cincinnati, where I was accepted in November. I have a strong feeling about both schools, but am still undecided. I would appreciate thoughts, opinions, feelings, etc. from anyone that will be attending either of these schools or interviewed at either of them. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to both of these schools, and did not choose either one of them, so I have a pretty good unbiased opinion. I would say go with OSU all the way, unless you have a strong interest in pediatrics. OSU has a much stronger name (in my opinion) and seemed to match better than Cincy--most Ohio physicians I spoke with (and some outside of Ohio) believe OSU is a higher caliber school than Cincy. OSU also has a nicer campus and location. The students I met at OSU also impressed me a lot more. I also think OSU is "on the rise" and Cincy is pretty stagnant. They are both good schools though, so you can't go wrong either way. If you have any more specific questions you can pm me. Good luck with your decision.

I don't know about Cinci, but I got into OSU and would gladly go. I thought they had a great program and reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State!!! (DNMD, I pmed you too)

J33 said:
I also think OSU is "on the rise" and Cincy is pretty stagnant. They are both good schools though, so you can't go wrong either way. If you have any more specific questions you can pm me. Good luck with your decision.

I don't agree that Cinci is stagnant...if you are going purely by us news criteria, osu actually dropped this year, while cinci made a big jump (6 or 7 places as i recall). plus cinci is in the process of undertaking an ambitious building project which includes a new medical building.

that said, I probably would have picked osu for purely personal reasons, but that's not to say that i think that cinci is "stagnant" or that its reputation isn't as good as osu.
btw i am aware of osu's building projects as well...i simply brought up cinci's to dispel the idea that the school is somehow "stagnant.

I didn't apply to Cinci, so I don't know much about it, but I was accepted to OSU and although I've decided not to attend, I really got a good vibe from the school. If I hadn't gotten in to my first choice, I would have went there.

Good luck with your choice.

For me, the biggest difference is the style of curriculum. I interviewed at UC and OSU, and I think both highlighted their approach: systems with multiple classes/ block (cincy/OSU respectively) that they use in first and second year. My choice had a lot to do with how much class time is scheduled per week, as well as how many classes a student has to concentrate on at one time. UC has lots of scheduled classes, discussions and reviews (many of the students I?ve talked to say that nobody goes to all of them), like a college on quarters, with all the classes focused on one system at a time, and the students describe test weeks like midterms and finals. OSU, on the other hand, has 12 weeks of gross for the first block, and the other blocks are The Cell, Host Defense, and Neural Science (each block contains 3 to 4 week long divisions), with clinical and small group classes that run the whole year. The city made a difference for me too. My parents live in Cincinnati, but my boyfriend and brother will be living in Columbus, paralleling the younger, bigger city feel of Columbus vs. Cincinnati. I had a REALLY hard time deciding between these schools, so if there?s anything else I can offer, let me know. Good luck. :)

go for OSU buddy.....buckeye for life...

I'd go to OSU. I got in, it was hard to turn down. That school is going places, especially with their new initiatives.

i'd go to osu. i have visited friends several times at both, and believe me, columbus feels way safer/cleaner than cinci. unless you like constant racial strife and having your car burglarized, i'd pick ohio state.

Also, I forgot to mention. I have been invited to the Dean's Scholar's Program at UC. Does anyone know anything about this program?

Pick whatever school you liked the best. If you are meant to be a neurosurgeon you will do so from either school. If it were me I'd go to the cheaper school(does Cinci have in-state tuition like OSU). If they cost the same I'd base the decision on whether I wanted to live in columbus or cincinatti. I'd probably pick OSU because I love college football!!

I've read that OSU is planning on reducing the preferance given to state residents. If I was an Ohio lawmaker, I would be somewhat puzzled by this statement. I'm sure OSU accepts a lot of state money, and I'm not sure why they would continue to recieve this money if they weren't training a high # of Ohio residents.

Ok, well I did some growing up in cincy and did my undergrad and currently grad here at OSU, so I know both campuses.

If I had to choose, it would be OSU without a question. The UC campus is not in the greatest part of town and its a concrete jungle. Though Ohio State is just outside of downtown, the campus is a city within itself and its a really great experience. I know many Med I's and II's and none of them have complaints. The housing is plentiful and in my opinion, OSU is a much stronger school.

Adrian

"Cincy as being stagnant", I have no clue as how one could come up w/this. UC is spending over $1billion over the next 9 years including a brand new medical arts building. UC is at around $175million in NIH funding, while OSU is at $140ish (I might be off). There is already a lot of construction here, so if that isn't you pie OSU may be better. Stagnant?!?!

Both are very good schools, but to say that Cincy is going south is just plain nonsense. If you like football, yes, OSU has a good team (but their fans ruin it for them), but don't forget that Cincy has the Red's, and has the Bengals, and UC Basketball. Both are different in curriculum, and both are in very different locals, but I would never say that school X is better, unless you are pointing a a certain area, (e.g. pediatrics, or EM at Cincy). Cost, family, and specific fields are reasons to choose a school, not sports teams, or word of mouth.

Cincy is an old city with history, while Columbus is new. I live a few blocks from the school and I say time and time again, crime here is not that bad. If you have grown up anywhere near a large city or gone to an urban campus, it is pretty much norm. The school has also bought out many of the neighboring areas and has demolished them and started building new apt complexes and condos etc. I personally have seen 80-100 buildings torn down this year alone. If you haven't been to UC in the last year, I encourage people to come see it. I can guarantee that it has changed so much that you wouldn't recognize it.

Cincy as well as both OSU are public schools, so both are under the same govt. rules for funding and tuition etc. UC's new president was inaugurated a few days ago, and she stated that they are going to pull away from state funding as well (same as OSU from what I gather).

MD2Be said:
what did you decide? Not that you could have gone wrong either way, both great schools. Congrats.
I haven't decided yet. I was mistaken with the 24 hours to decide. I have until Friday to decide, and when I do, I'll let you all know what I picked. Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming.

After visiting both schools again on Wednesday and much, much thought, I have decided that OSU is where I want to be. Thank you all for your input. It was helpful as I reached my decision. Good luck to all of you.

DNMD said:
After visiting both schools again on Wednesday and much, much thought, I have decided that OSU is where I want to be. Thank you all for your input. It was helpful as I reached my decision. Good luck to all of you.

Good choice! :thumbup:

Cincinnati is an older and larger city. It has established places and history.

Columbus is a newer city, it's actually the fastest growing city in the Northeastern part of the U.S. (North of Mason-Dixon, East of Mississippi). So you always have things to look forward to Columbus.

Columbus looks much nicer than Cincinnati. The buildings look new, the landscaping is very modern. Columbus is definitely more style concious.

Then again, Cincinnati has its positives too. Cincinnati has really nice hills and also the Ohio River, which makes for much more interesting topography than Columbus's largely flat and featureless natural terrain.

Although I ended up picking Case Western in CLeveland, I wouldve much much much rather lived in Columbus. It seemed like a much more progressive and lively city. Damn 1st year out of state tuition!