Ohio State vs. Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spl251

Reaction score
I am super excited to have a couple acceptances to choose from, but I am having a hard time deciding between the two: Ohio State vs. Drexel. Thank you!

Ohio State pros:
  • I did my undergrad at Ohio State and am very familiar with the school and surrounding area
  • In-state tuition, ~30K
  • I loved the sound of their curriculum and they offer some pretty cool things, such as learning ultrasound
  • The medical school seems to be very well structured and supportive of students

Ohio State cons:
  • Although I did my undergrad at OSU, for some reason I did not feel that I really connected with the current students or the other interviewees during my interview – I feel that I fit in a bit better at Drexel
  • No support system here – I am an Ohio resident, but my family lives roughly 2 hours away, and many of my close friends from OSU have moved away, so I would somewhat feel that I am starting over in the same city

Drexel Pros
  • Loved my interview and I got a really good feel from the current students
  • My significant other will be starting a graduate program in Philadelphia, plus I have a couple close friends who have recently moved to Philadelphia, so I’ll have a strong support system there
  • Philadelphia seems like a very exciting city, and a great place to learn medicine

Drexel Cons
  • Double the tuition, almost 60K
  • Seemed a bit disorganized and I wasn’t as excited about the curriculum or the opportunities offered as I was for Ohio State
  • Lottery system for rotations
  • 3 other med schools in Philadelphia? Not too sure if this is a pro or a con? Any insight on this would be great.

Overall, I was not expecting to get into Ohio State and was set on Drexel prior to being accepted. I feel that Ohio State will provide me with the better opportunities and it is extremely hard to turn down, however, I’m not sure if I’d be happier there or at Drexel under the circumstances. At this point, ranking doesn’t matter a ton to me.

Members don't see this ad.

If ranking does not matter to you then go wherever you will be the happiest and mentally at ease. If you work hard at Drexel and score well on STEP, you will get to where you want to be.

I would easily say Ohio State if you're ok being away from your significant other. Half the cost is a big difference in this case. 120k vs 240k (not considering moving costs which may be a little higher in Philadelphia).

Ohio state. Honestly, with Drexel's main hospital (Hahnemann) facing financial difficulties, and being on the verge of bankruptcy, it makes me nervous....

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio state. Honestly, with Drexel's main hospital (Hahnemann) facing financial difficulties, and being on the verge of bankruptcy, it makes me nervous....

Verge of bankruptcy? That’s quite the extrapolation for an established institution that is completely capable of reallocating funds to prevent a complete catastrophe. They may be dealing with some hardship at the moment but I’m sure it will be dealt with.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
they also have to share FCCC w/ Jeff now.

Reactions: 1 user
they also have to share FCCC w/ Jeff now.
didnt know that... but yeah.... all of this doesnt look good. Honestly, i put Drexel as my number one, but when all this started happening, i chose a different school. Still dont want to drop acceptance till financial packages arrive, but still

Verge of bankruptcy? That’s quite the extrapolation for an established institution that is completely capable of reallocating funds to prevent a complete catastrophe. They may be dealing with some hardship at the moment but I’m sure it will be dealt with.
these are not my words... these are from news articles on the topic.

Oh yeah you're right. I honestly get those two schools mixed up. I do this with Georgetown and George Washington. I also do this with Mt. Sinai and Enstein.
That would be Temple.

I didn't connect with anyone during my interview day (too stressed) but second look was what truly convinced me to choose OSU. I met a bunch of my friends there and taking with the M1s and all the other students that made it out was so nice and they were all honest about why they chose to come there.

Also, I'm sure you've seen all the construction going on and how OSU is aggressively expanding and building a brand new hospital right next to the James. There's also a lot of buildings going up on the Short North, with a lot of people moving in from all over, so plenty of chances to meet people outside of the med school too.

Finally, a 2 hour drive is not that bad at all, given how flexible our curriculum is. My family lives 4 hours away and I was able to make it back at least once a month if I wanted to. Let me know if you have any questions!

This didn’t age well :lol:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users