Ohio State vs. Minnesota vs. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellzie2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think I've got the search narrowed down to three schools: Minnesota, Ohio State, and Loyola.

In terms of location, Minnesota is ideal, because it's close to home/family and I love Minneapolis. I've been away from home for the past four years so I know I could deal with the distance, but it's been more and more of a pain being away as time goes on. I also really liked a lot of the opportunities Minnesota would offer in terms of service trips, research, etc. Minnesota would also end up being the least expensive with in-state tuition and I have a friend who will still be at the U of M for undergrad next year that I could live with.

I also really liked Ohio State. They seem really focused on their students and on making the school better, which is good. I also liked the idea of having afternoons free (Minnesota offers a bit less free time) and having the option of choosing between two different curriculum tracks. It would also end up being pretty much the same cost as attending Minnesota. However, it would be even further away from home than I am now.

I've sort of been leaning towards MN or OSU lately, but I can;t bring myself to completely rule out Loyola yet. The facilities there were amazing and I liked the idea of taking one class at a time. The environment also seems very supportive and similar to my undergrad institution which I like a lot. I don't think I'd mind living in Chicago and it wouldn't be terribly far from home. However, I am a bit concerned about their lackluster research opportunities. There doesn't seem to be much of a focus on research there, which would be a negative for me since that's something I want to be involved in.

Sorry for the long post... Does anyone have any additional thoughts on comparing the three schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I'd rule out Loyola. Research can help for making connections with faculty and for getting residencies. What is Loyola offering you that the other two are not? If it was me, the issue of being able to take one class at a time would pretty much be a non-issue, and UMN and Ohio also have great facilities.

Hi Shellzie,

I interviewed at each of these three schools. I hope to be in you're position soon (only yet gained acceptance to Minnesota). Congrats on your desirable predicament. :)

The majority of posters might tell you to go with Ohio State, but I feel these schools are very comparable. What does each have that the other does not have to offer? It's hard to answer that question. Ohio State has the more established curriculum, with the two pathways. Minnesota has perhaps a more flexible medical education (flexible m.d. program) as well as fixed tuition. What else? Both have quality extracurricular opportunities, faculty, and clinical facilities. Both prepare students extremely well for quality residency placements and careers in medicine.

I agree with the above poster; Loyola should not be in the discussion with acceptances at Minnesota and Ohio State. What Loyola has to offer, for example, with extracurricular opportunities (research, abroad medical work, free clinic), the other schools have to offer and much more.

Personally, I might go with Ohio State in your shoes (though that's not a given), mostly because I could see the benefit in a change of scenery. Although only slighter warmer, I would certainly welcome the more moderate temperatures in Columbus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses, guys. And congrats on your acceptance also, Golf Shoes! :)

Another thing I didn't mention before was that in order to get the in-state tuition cut at Ohio State I would have to establish residency, which would limit some of my options as far as international service trips, etc, which I am very interested in right now. In Ohio State's case, the monetary difference isn't huge, but since I'm borrowing the money from my parents, I would feel guilty putting additional financial demands on them (now) and myself (later) if it could be avoided. Also, I'm not even sure I could establish residency if I am borrowing the money from my parents instead of using federal student loans. Does anyone know how that would work?

I agree with what the two other posters said but you have a legitimate dilemma on your hands that should be a quick solve if you listen to the advice here.
I've attended U of MN for grad school and do not really fancy the med school. I also work at the teaching hospital that's affiliated with the U of MN and sadly, the medical students I rub shoulders with do not inspire camaraderie. The learning environment is very clique-y and I also think the attempt by the school to become the 'Harvard of the Midwest' makes for a very 'dry' and prototypical student body. I hate to knock down my 'home team' but I would not apply to or attend the U of MN...they are also one of, if not the outright most expensive State school in the US so the perceived savings of remaining in-state immediately vaporize into the cosmos!

I love Loyola (top choice for my plans) but Ohio State is undisputed favorite in my mind given your ambitions. You are a lucky cat to have folks you can borrow from...I'd say that if you are considering international stints during med school, you are better placed borrowing from your parents than from the unforgiving diabolical capitalism that the rest of us mortgage ourselves to...lol. Anyway, long as you do not pick MN you'll be fine. I personally plan to return to MN for residency for the same reasons you cite....Good Luck!!

Thanks for your responses, guys. And congrats on your acceptance also, Golf Shoes! :)

Another thing I didn't mention before was that in order to get the in-state tuition cut at Ohio State I would have to establish residency, which would limit some of my options as far as international service trips, etc, which I am very interested in right now. In Ohio State's case, the monetary difference isn't huge, but since I'm borrowing the money from my parents, I would feel guilty putting additional financial demands on them (now) and myself (later) if it could be avoided. Also, I'm not even sure I could establish residency if I am borrowing the money from my parents instead of using federal student loans. Does anyone know how that would work?

You're right, that may actually be an issue. It's something to look into.

I agree with what the two other posters said but you have a legitimate dilemma on your hands that should be a quick solve if you listen to the advice here.
I've attended U of MN for grad school and do not really fancy the med school. I also work at the teaching hospital that's affiliated with the U of MN and sadly, the medical students I rub shoulders with do not inspire camaraderie. The learning environment is very clique-y and I also think the attempt by the school to become the 'Harvard of the Midwest' makes for a very 'dry' and prototypical student body. I hate to knock down my 'home team' but I would not apply to or attend the U of MN...they are also one of, if not the outright most expensive State school in the US so the perceived savings of remaining in-state immediately vaporize into the cosmos!

I love Loyola (top choice for my plans) but Ohio State is undisputed favorite in my mind given your ambitions. You are a lucky cat to have folks you can borrow from...I'd say that if you are considering international stints during med school, you are better placed borrowing from your parents than from the unforgiving diabolical capitalism that the rest of us mortgage ourselves to...lol. Anyway, long as you do not pick MN you'll be fine. I personally plan to return to MN for residency for the same reasons you cite....Good Luck!!

I wouldn't go that far. The U of MN is a great school. I would say it is basically equivalent to Ohio State in terms of the quality of education and residency options. With any school, students are going to branch off and form groups. This is no different at Ohio State or Minnesota or Loyola. None of the students at these schools know all of their classmates (I make it a point to ask about the sense of community at my interviews).

That being said, Ohio State makes a clear effort to form a community environment. I believe they put students in groups of twelve that meet regularly with a physician mentor. They also have school-wide dinners with all of the faculty in attendance. Minnesota may have something similar in place, of which I am unaware. I did hear at my interview at Minnesota that they are in the process of making the education more interdisciplinary with the other health professions (classes/activities together on Fridays).

The schools are close to indistinguishable from my perspective. The OP must make a decision based on his or her tastes with these minor differences. In this example, that could be the likelihood of obtaining residency to ensure the cost between the two schools is negligible. Minnesota is expensive in-state, but it is about the same as Ohio State out-of state - if residency is established after the first year. (Loyola is about 8k more in tuition a year than Minnesota in-state.)

Hey Shellzie,

I looked through the Ohio State thread and found a link that may be helpful for you:

http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more//content/residency/FAQ_New.htm#22

With your plans to go abroad after the first year, it may be difficult for you to establish Ohio residency. Like I've said in my other posts, Minnesota is a great school too. You will not regret your decision with whatever school you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.