Ohio State vs SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snickers1212

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted off the WL at SUNY Downstate and need help deciding.

Ohio State:
Pros:
-Higher rank/more established school/more funding for research and other things
-Received a half tuition scholarship
-Enjoyed the interview day

Cons:
-Far from home
-Match list is heavy in the Midwest and I would like to match back in NYC
-Quartile ranked (not true P/F)

SUNY Downstate:
Pros:
-Close to home and will allow me to be near my family
-AMAZING match list and very NYC heavy
-Awesome clinical experience

Cons:
-Unranked/less established — normally would not care about this but with the change to p/f step 1, I am a little concerned
-Have not received financial aid yet but I’ve heard that Downstate does not have much money to give

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming all loans at Downstate (which from what I hear is likely) what will the cost difference be? I think that is the deciding factor. It’s clear you prefer Downstates location and you should be able to match in nyc just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Ohio State having a heavy Midwest match list is most likely due to more students from the midwest attending Ohio State who then want to stay in the Midwest. You'll have no problem matching anywhere from Ohio.

If Ohio State is cheaper, I say go Ohio (take into account the cost of living as well, NYC is expensive af). If Downstate is cheaper overall, go Downstate.

EDIT: Just realized it said you got a half-tuition scholarship from Ohio. Sounds like they'll be substantially cheaper overall than Downstate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)