Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ohio tuition for OOS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yowhatup, Dec 30, 2008.

1. yowhatup

Removed

Hey guys,
    I am an out of state student from Arizona, and I have gotten a few medical school admission offers in Ohio. I know first year I will pay Out of state tuition, but I wanted to know how easy/hard is it to get in state tuition in Ohio for Out of state students for the remaining three years? It is ridicously expensive otherwise, if one has to pay OOS all 4 years.

I need honest, sincere advice since we are talking about a lot of money.

* I am a little concerned if you cant tell

2. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since you're "talking about a lot of money", I'm surprised you would seek the advice of some strangers over the internet. All I did was enter "become an ohio resident" in google, and boom!

-------------------------------------------

General Residency Rules

The following persons shall be classified as residents of Ohio for fee assessment purposes:
    A dependent student, at least one of whose parents or legal guardians has been a resident of the State of Ohio for all other legal purposes for twelve (12) consecutive months or more immediately preceding the enrollment of such student in an institution of higher education.
    A person who has been a resident of Ohio for the purpose of this rule for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding his or her enrollment in an institution of higher education and who is not receiving, and has not directly or indirectly received in the preceding twelve (12) consecutive months, financial support from persons or entities who are not residents of Ohio for all other legal purposes.
    A person who is living in Ohio and is gainfully employed in Ohio on a full-time or part-time and self-sustaining basis and who is pursuing a part-time program of instruction at an institution of higher education.
    A person on active duty status in the United States military service who is stationed and resides in Ohio, and his or her dependents.
    A person who enters and currently remains upon active duty status in the United States military service while a resident of Ohio for all other legal purposes, and his or her dependents, as long as Ohio remains the state of such person's domicile. (Domicile for military personnel is the place a military person declares to be his or her home for voting and taxation purposes.)
    A dependent student of a parent, or the spouse of a person who, as of the first day of classes, has accepted full-time, self-sustaining employment and has established domicile in Ohio for reasons other than gaining the benefit of favorable tuition rate. Documentation will be required.

In considering residency, removal of the student or the student's parents or legal guardians from Ohio shall not, during a period of twelve (12) months following such removal, constitute relinquishment of Ohio residency status otherwise established under items 1.a or 1.b of these regulations.

A dependent student classified as a resident of Ohio for these purposes, and who is enrolled in an institution of higher education when his or her parents or legal guardian remove their residency from the State of Ohio, shall continue to be considered a resident of Ohio for fee assessment purposes during continuous full-time enrollment and until his or her completion of any one academic degree program.

A person who is transferred by his or her employer beyond the territorial limits of the fifty states of the United States and the District of Columbia while a resident of Ohio for all other legal purposes, and his or her dependents, shall be considered a resident of Ohio for these purposes as long as Ohio remains the state of such person's domicile, and as long as such person has fulfilled his or her tax liability to the State of Ohio for at least the tax year preceding enrollment.

A person who has been employed as a migrant worker in the State of Ohio and his or her dependents, shall be considered a resident for these purposes, provided such person has worked in Ohio for at least four months during each of the three years preceding the proposed enrollment.

Evidentiary determinations under this rule shall be made by the institution which may require, among other things, the submission of documentation regarding the sources of a student's actual financial support. Additional criteria which may be considered in determining residency may include, but are not limited to, the following:

Criteria evidencing residency:

If a person is subject to tax liability under Section 5747.02 of the Ohio Revised Code;
    If a person qualifies to vote in Ohio;
    If a person has an Ohio driver's license and/or car registration.

Criteria evidencing lack of residency:

If a person is a resident of, or intends to be resident of, another state or nation for the purpose of tax liability, voting, receipt of welfare benefits, or student loan benefits (if the student qualified for that loan program by being a resident of the state or nation);
    If a person is a resident of, or intends to be a resident of, another state or nation for any purposes other than tax liability, voting or receipt of welfare benefits (see above paragraph).

A student once classified as a nonresident, upon the completion of twelve (12) consecutive months of residency in Ohio for all other legal purposes, may apply to the institution he or she attends for reclassification as a resident of Ohio for fee assessment purposes. Should such student present clear and convincing proof that no part of his or her financial support is, or in the preceding twelve (12) consecutive months has been, provided directly or indirectly by persons or entities who are not residents of Ohio for all other legal purposes, such person shall be classified as an Ohio resident.

Any classification of a person who was once classified as a nonresident for these purposes shall have prospective application only from the date of such reclassification.

NOTE: Persons who hold the following visas are eligible for Ohio residency when all other residency requirements are met: A, E, G, H, I, L, TD, and TN. Call the Office of Student Records for details.

----------------------
    http://www.uc.edu/REGISTRAR/residency.html

3. yowhatup

Removed

Thank you phospo. I know the rules, but somehow I don't understand why medical schools in OH are saying it is very easy to get In state tuition 2nd year and beyond for out of staters.

How are students showing they are self-sufficient when they possibly cannot be working during med school due to the course load... and what taxes are they paying since they dont have an income...

the others... registering ohio drivers license, one year residence, etc... is easy to understand but i dont understand how someone can prove they are self sufficient?

4. suizyme09

suizyme09 I haz a flavor
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    The system was explained to me at my Cinci interview, it doesn't really apply for me since I'm instate but I listened anyways!

You need to look up details and actually email an admiss person to confirm but the way they explained it is this.
    You need to get an Ohio Driver's license
    All your money for your expenses has to come from instate (i.e. loans or some kinda job). You have to be able to prove you paid for it all. If for instance your parents in AZ paid for your rent or something then you are not considered independant and still a resident of AZ.
    You have to maintain a residence ( I think this means no Res halls you have to be in an apt)
    There are a couple little details he didn't mention but said those are big ones ppl mess up. They give you a list I guess when you apply and at most places apparently like 98% of OOS students has IS status by Year 2 and the ones who don't just made some mistake b/c they weren't paying attention.

Hope this helps. Just send an email to an admiss person at a school you applied to and ask for easy to understand details or like a list of steps towards residency.

5. yowhatup

Removed

thank you... other people please input helpful information like this... they did talk about this in my interviews presented by financial aid counselors... but rather than listening i was rehearsing answers in my mind about possible interview questions... haha

6. efitzpat

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I have questions about this as well. My aunt and uncle live in a giant house about 15 minutes from a school that I'm accepted to in Ohio (and so far the one I like the most). I was thinking about living with them for a while. Would this disqualify me? What if I paid rent and had rent receipts?

7. suizyme09

suizyme09 I haz a flavor
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Yeah I don't think that would hurt you much. What seemed the point to me was that you are financially independent from OOS sources. Like that if you receive money for tuition or books or rent or something it has to come from a resident of Ohio. This reminds me of another thing they said was a common mistake. You can't earn any money out of state either. For example if you go home for a month in your first summer that is fine, but if you get a job and earn any money outside Ohio you're attempt to get Ohio residency is null in that year so you will pay OOS tuition again come MS2.