Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how we go about doing the background check?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

From the administration: " DO NOT do the background check yet and do not do vaccines yet - because you will just have to do them again. The background check and certain immunizations/vaccines/titers can only be done in the Spring (but you will get more information on this)."

Basically just wait until March/April and they'll send us the info

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From the administration: " DO NOT do the background check yet and do not do vaccines yet - because you will just have to do them again. The background check and certain immunizations/vaccines/titers can only be done in the Spring (but you will get more information on this)."

Basically just wait until March/April and they'll send us the info
Gotcha thanks for the info!

Got accepted to OU-HCOM this week on Wednesday! :) This was my first choice :)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone submitted their FAFSA to this school yet? I know its super early but I was wondering if anyone has received a confirmation from financial aid that the FAFSA is received.

What do you all know about or think about the summer scholars program? I just finished my II application but one of the admissions professionals advised me to apply to the Summer scholars program.

What do you all know about or think about the summer scholars program? I just finished my II application but one of the admissions professionals advised me to apply to the Summer scholars program.
II = Interview invite. Do you mean you just submitted your secondary?

Oh lol yeah my secondary app is complete
It's pretty late in the game to be just completing secondaries but I've heard great things about their summer scholars program. If you've got lower mcat or GPA , it's a good way to prove to them that you can handle the rigor of medical school. If you're in that boat then I woukd definitely recommend it

It's pretty late in the game to be just completing secondaries but I've heard great things about their summer scholars program. If you've got lower mcat or GPA , it's a good way to prove to them that you can handle the rigor of medical school. If you're in that boat then I woukd definitely recommend it

Yeah that is probably why she said apply to that program. Are you a medical school student here?

Has anyone submitted their FAFSA to this school yet? I know its super early but I was wondering if anyone has received a confirmation from financial aid that the FAFSA is received.
I just filed my taxes, so I'm hoping to do my FAFSA soon, they said you still enter your parents info right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just filed my taxes, so I'm hoping to do my FAFSA soon, they said you still enter your parents info right?

I'm a non-trad independent so I didn't put my parents info. I also didn't make income in the US (work in Toronto and don't make enough to get taxed in US) so I checked the "don't plan on file taxes" on the FAFSA app. We'll see how all that goes...

I'm a non-trad independent so I didn't put my parents info. I also didn't make income in the US (work in Toronto and don't make enough to get taxed in US) so I checked the "don't plan on file taxes" on the FAFSA app. We'll see how all that goes...
ahhh okay! I just went on and it says "you are considered an independent student and do not have to include parent's information, but most professional schools like to have that info (ex. Medical, Dental)"

so i think ill put it in, but yours sounds a lot simpler than mine haha!

ahhh okay! I just went on and it says "you are considered an independent student and do not have to include parent's information, but most professional schools like to have that info (ex. Medical, Dental)"

If your parents are co-signing your loans then it is required. I saw that blurb about most schools requiring the information, which would be pretty difficult for me. If I were you I'd enter it anyway just to be safe.

You should also Put your parents info in if you're trying to prove you come from a lower income family so that you can be eligible for scholarships from the school itself!

Does this school issue rejections? I have been complete since about a century ago. Wondering if they over looked me or what.

Does this school issue rejections? I have been complete since about a century ago. Wondering if they over looked me or what.

This is an excellent question! I actually called them and asked and they said since they are rolling admission they wont send out denials until the very end which is in April.

Last edited:
You should also Put your parents info in if you're trying to prove you come from a lower income family so that you can be eligible for scholarships from the school itself!

Perfect that's definitely the option for me!!

As a previous response said, OU-HCOM is a rolling admission so they typically will not send a rejection until after all the interviews have been completed. The school to my knowledge has only ever issued post-interview rejections during the application cycle (previous statistics show that most interviewees will be either accepted or put on the waiting list though).

Last edited:
Would anyone happen to have any news on the waitlist as of now (or of previous years)? How many get put on, how many typically get accepted through waitlist, etc. ?

Would anyone happen to have any news on the waitlist as of now (or of previous years)? How many get put on, how many typically get accepted through waitlist, etc. ?
Hi,
So these statistics are from the 2015 Application Cycle admission report. I would expect the numbers to be a little higher, but not much:
The total applications received = 5088
Total amount of people interviewed = 448
Total number of acceptances offered = 342
Total number of people put on alternative list = 156
Final matriculation number = 240

By the numbers, ~76% of those who received an II, were accepted (either right away, or eventually). However, you will not get placed on the waiting list if you have not received an II. I know with our class, 2020, there was a lot of movement on the waitlist - including days before the first class started. The exact percentage of those who are waitlisted after the interview, and then come off the waitlist and matriculate I do not know.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I am an incoming med student at OU-HCOM for this fall. I was a participant in the summer scholars program last year. I absolutely loved it:)

For those accepted students, which day are most of you planning to attend second look day? Feb 18 or April 1?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those accepted students, which day are most of you planning to attend second look day? Feb 18 or April 1?

I have another interview on February 18th, so I'll be at the April 1st date! I wish I could go earlier though!

Has anyone applied for the RUSP program? Did you hear anything back?

No my friend just got hers like 2 weeks ago and interviewed today!

Was just put on the alternate list. Is it helpful to submit a Letter of Intent?

Random II today, can anyone shed any light on the interview process and/or if you chose OU, why did you?

Is there a current OU HCOM student in this forum?

Out of state applicant, LOR from MD and DO, worked in primary care as MA for 4 years, mission work, research, volunteer stuff, high GPA, avg MCAT, completed secondary in oct and submitted an update in beginning of jan. Also have family and significant other in NE ohio. Ultimate goal is work in underserved primary care which I discussed in secondary. Ranked CLE as first choice. I read the post about attending a tour of CLE campus which I will do. Any other advice? Really want an interview!!!!

Hey all! My interview is on the 24th and I was wondering if anyone who's already had their interview could maybe give me an idea of what to expect question-wise?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I've read above that they don't send out rejections till the end of April but I was curious if you think they're still sending out interviews?

Hey all! My interview is on the 24th and I was wondering if anyone who's already had their interview could maybe give me an idea of what to expect question-wise?

Thanks!
Hi! Hope you have a great interview! Interview-wise it is awesome, compared with other schools. The admissions department and the people who will interview you have looked at you application so many times they practically have it memorized. So in short, you should too. Anything that you have wrote in the application is fair game for them to ask you about. From my experience, and the experience of others, if you have made it this far the admissions team is not worried if you have the academic knowledge, or intellect to succeed in medical school. Instead, the admissions team is looking to make sure that you would be the best fit for the school, and that you could do great here. Make sure you have intently read the mission statement of OUHCOM! In total you will have three 30-minute interviews. The interviewers do not ask trick questions, and they never asked philosophical/moral lifeboat situation questions. Questions they do ask are "Why our school?" "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" "How would you incorporate Osteopathy as a future physcian?" If you have any interesting things in your application they might ask you to explain or talk about them. One interviewer I had asked about the current climate of healthcare, however, it was clear that he did not care about the politics but instead if I kept up on current, relevant topics in the healthcare field, and didn't live under a rock. The admissions dept. tries to set up your interviews as 1 person from faculty, 1 person clinician, and 1 person staff/faculty. I really did love the Interview Day they have here!
Everyone is super friendly and you can talk with current medical students at lunch that is provided. You will have a total of 20 other people interviewing that day as well. Because of the high percentage of acceptance/interviews, you will very likely have many of those people in your class if you are accepted.
Final things is: dress professional. In my interview cohort there was this student who wore a bright blue suit, (like I mean bright blue)...I didn't see him at orientation. Point being, your interview is not a time to show off the individuality of your closet. Men would fair best in a conservative suit: black, navy, gray, brown. If you want to have an expressive tie go for it, do NOT wear gym shoes. Women in pant suit, or conservative dress. If you want to have expressive shoes go for it, just remember to dress professional. Just my honest opinion.
Hope all of this helps!

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks!

Yeah I agree with DOC. I had no questions that were meant to throw me off or purposefully freak me out. They just want to know more about you so just be yourself! It's a cliche but really let your personally show and have a lot of passion for medicine and OU.

You'll do great!

Hi guys, I was wondering how long it took for your guys' letters to be matched after you submitted your secondary?

Hi! Hope you have a great interview! Interview-wise it is awesome, compared with other schools. The admissions department and the people who will interview you have looked at you application so many times they practically have it memorized. So in short, you should too. Anything that you have wrote in the application is fair game for them to ask you about. From my experience, and the experience of others, if you have made it this far the admissions team is not worried if you have the academic knowledge, or intellect to succeed in medical school. Instead, the admissions team is looking to make sure that you would be the best fit for the school, and that you could do great here. Make sure you have intently read the mission statement of OUHCOM! In total you will have three 30-minute interviews. The interviewers do not ask trick questions, and they never asked philosophical/moral lifeboat situation questions. Questions they do ask are "Why our school?" "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" "How would you incorporate Osteopathy as a future physcian?" If you have any interesting things in your application they might ask you to explain or talk about them. One interviewer I had asked about the current climate of healthcare, however, it was clear that he did not care about the politics but instead if I kept up on current, relevant topics in the healthcare field, and didn't live under a rock. The admissions dept. tries to set up your interviews as 1 person from faculty, 1 person clinician, and 1 person staff/faculty. I really did love the Interview Day they have here!
Everyone is super friendly and you can talk with current medical students at lunch that is provided. You will have a total of 20 other people interviewing that day as well. Because of the high percentage of acceptance/interviews, you will very likely have many of those people in your class if you are accepted.
Final things is: dress professional. In my interview cohort there was this student who wore a bright blue suit, (like I mean bright blue)...I didn't see him at orientation. Point being, your interview is not a time to show off the individuality of your closet. Men would fair best in a conservative suit: black, navy, gray, brown. If you want to have an expressive tie go for it, do NOT wear gym shoes. Women in pant suit, or conservative dress. If you want to have expressive shoes go for it, just remember to dress professional. Just my honest opinion.
Hope all of this helps!

Ah thank you for the detailed response! I went to OU for my undergrad studies and held a paid research position for the Heritage College my senior year, so I'm familiar with the school and the town. I feel that as long as I stay relaxed and confident, I'll be fine!