Ohio university q&a

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Thebeyonder, May 25, 2001.

1. Thebeyonder

Thebeyonder Senior Member

Medical Student
    Hello,
    Did anyone here go or are going to Athens, Ohio? How is the medical school? Is it difficult to obtain residencies? How is the town? Any other comments would be appreciated.
    Were you selected as an in or out of stater?
    Thanks,
    Tim.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Teufelhunden

Teufelhunden 1K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Hey Tim, I'm going to OUCOM this fall...Athens is quite rural; however, the OU campus is beautiful -- very quaint. Also, if you crave civilization, Columbus is only about an hour away. I was impressed with their curricula (they have two programs to choose from). Obtaining residencies within the CORE (Centers for Osteopathic Research and Education) should be relatively easy as an OUCOM graduate. Personally, I hope to rotate and internship at South Pointe -- a Cleveland Clinic affiliate, which is a CORE hospital. If you're unfamiliar with the CORE, check out CORE
    I was selected as an out-of-stater; however, I grew up in Ohio and that may have factored into my being granted an interview.
    Feel free to email me if you have any more questions about OUCOM.

4. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member

I had a college based internship with a surgeon from South Pointe ! It's a wonderful hospital and a very well run program. I would love to do my residency at South Pointe. All the interns/residents said to be prepared to work when you go to South Pointe!

5. AthensfromCols

I am also headed to OUCOM this fall. I grew up in Kentucky, but lived here in Columbus for the past 3.5 years. I'm sure residency helps, but is probably not necessary. Good luck. The OU campus is very nice and the people I met there were extremely friendly. I got the feeling that they cared about the students. I would recommend you visit the campus and talk with people there. You'll probably like it a lot. Columbus has lots to offer in the way of entertainment and ways to pass time. It is more like 1.5 hours from Athens, but worth the drive if you are craving something to do.