Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeaparker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is up with the contract from Ohio.. requiring you to stay there for 5 years.. after graduating...

If I am forced to stay somewhere for 5 years.. I'd rater join the military (Navy) and get free tuition and stipend and then give only 4 years.. of semi-freedom....

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone here applying to Ohio that does not live there??

TIA

Mike

Hi Mike,
I am applying there from NJ. The school was highly recommended to me by several physicians I work with. They also applied from out of state. The good thing is that your residency DOES count towards the 5 years. You have to do a residency anyway so it doesn't really matter. The military is different altogether. You owe them 2 years for every year of school they pay for... and residency DOESN'T count. So that's a much bigger commitment. I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info...
I've heard that through the Navy, you only have to give 1 year for each year of study, and residency does not count for them as you stated....

So, 4 years of medical school at no charge, + no charge for books.... and other student fees, Plus they pay you about $950 per month for those 4 years while in school, then when you get out you owe them nothing but time.. 4 years... A much better deal if you ask me..

Mike

Well, I'm doing both -- I'm an MS-1 at OUCOM and I'm on Navy scholarship. I'll owe the Navy first, then I'll have to do my five years in Ohio. That five year thing isn't set in stone, either. If you elect to do family practice, I think you only have to do 3.5 years (you get 1.5 years of credit for each year in family practice). Plus, like a previous poster stated, your residency counts towards your obligation. If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly.