Ohio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2caps

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who knows a little bit about Ohio, I am in need of assistance. I have paid my AADSAS application for both Case Western and Ohio State among others, but am realizing that I will need to narrow down my choice of schools if I want to feed myself this year. I have heard good things about both schools. I especially like the pricing for Ohio State, and wonder if there is anything in the location, school, etc. that makes Case Western worth so much extra money? How do these schools compare? Thankyou for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm assuming there aren't a lot of pre-dents who know about these two schools. It's o.k., I decided to apply to Ohio State and take my chances with getting one of the out of state positions. I talked to a few friends from Ohio, and they had nothing but good things to say about Columbus. Anyway, I figure the tuition difference would more than compensate for any differences between the school. Thanks.

I am also applying to Case and OSU. I heard that OSU students don't do very well on the boards the first couple of times. That is kind of a big deal to me. Case has an excellent reputation and has a higher percentage of students passing the boards the first time than OSU. Case does cost a lot more which is the only drawback but if it comes to board scores, it may be worth it. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
most of the dentists i have talked to swear that saving money is more important than the school u go to. if i were u, i would minimize my loans. nothing against Case, but just a fact of life. less loan, more dough. ;)

I'm suprised that OSU dental students do poorly on the boards- in optometry, it's the opposite- OSU students perform the best of all the optometry school students in the country. My brother went to Case as an undergrad & law school, and I went to OSU. Case is not located in a very good section of Cleveland, but OSU isn't in the best area either. Cleveland gets more snow & is colder. Columbus has many new home developments and is growing more than Cleveland. Both Case & OSU law schools have good reputations, with Case being ranked higher, but my brother says that he wishes that he went to OSU or Cleveland State instead so he wouldn't have as many loans. OSU as a whole is ranked high in most of the health professions (med school is good, pharmacy top ten, optometry 1 or 2), so I'm sure that the dental school can't be too bad. Hope this helps even though I'm not a dental student.

Thanks for the info guys, it does help. I agree that in the end the amount of debt is the most important factor for me. OSU here I come. Besides, you can't beat the football season can you? :)

Ohio State is on the competitive side (good students).. yet, as it was previously mentioned, the students haven't been reaching their potential on the NBDEs (does that mean poor teaching?).
I actually asked about this on my interview…

I attended OSU for undergrad… I ended up choosing an out-of-state "clinical-oriented" school (and still got a better Financial Aid Deal).
My girlfriend and several of my close friends are currently attending dental school there(ohio state).. so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to private message.

I don't think there really is such a thing as a "bad" dental school in the US. Most dentists and dental students will tell you to go to the program that gives you the best financial aid package. Personally, I didn't consider Case because of the cost (and weather). I would look at Michigan before CWRU.
I can tell you that Columbus is a wonderful city to attend university (esp. if you love football).
I think if you are an out-of state(ie cali/states with no dental schools) students.. you should apply to ohio state. (~25 accepted)
they pay travel expenses for out-of-state applicants.
I remember the cut-off for interviews being 2.9ish(plus higher DATs) for in-state applicants…and 3.5ish for out of state folks.
..and it's important to OBSERVE a few dentists BEFORE interviewing (you WILL be asked)

osu stresses gpa over dat scores.

just a few unorganized thoughts.

go bucks!

:D