OHSU C/O 2009!!!!! Sweet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is with me? I just talked to Debbie Melton and they offered me a spot! I'm so excited, this process has been so hellish and uncertain and it's such a relief to know I'm in (first acceptance). I'm almost positive I'll go there, I think I'm just going to cancel my upcoming GW interview. Anyone else feel fairly certain they'll be going to OHSU this fall? Let's get to know each other! If anyone wants info about Portland, I've lived here for >10 years so I'm happy to answer questions too.
I'm so happy! :D :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, Mistress S!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is WONDERFUL NEWS! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what you have to do now?

Listen to "Portland, Oregon" by Loretta Lynn (and Jack White!) over and over and over and over again.

Good stuff.

Congrats M S !!!! You've been so stoked on OHSU it's great you got a spot!!! :)

Send some good vibes my way so I can join you in this forum as an acceptee not just a "When are they gonna let me know?"

Have you received anything in mail yet (I keep checking mine) and how did you get the guts to call Debbie Milton (PM me if ya want).

Congrats again! Now... Get up from your computer, leave work/school, and go celebrate with a beer somewhere outside on this beautiful sunny Portland day (And for those of you not here in pdx, I'm not kidding) :thumbup:

Great Job. I may see you there if I decide not to fork up the extra 10K/year for Case :eek:

At any rate, OHSU is a great school and I'm really happy for you.

Alright Mistress! I know you deserve this one. :clap: :hardy:

Mr. Seeds said:
Great Job. I may see you there if I decide not to fork up the extra 10K/year for Case :eek:

At any rate, OHSU is a great school and I'm really happy for you.

I have an interview lined up in March but already got into my state school, so I'm not sure if I should go. Did the financial aid people mention anything about tuition hikes over the next 4 yrs and does anyone have the match list info for previous years? Thx.

woooohooooo!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome - thrilled for you!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone! :D SDN has been such a great resource and supportive community all along. Now I've just got to put together celebration plans! Mr. Seeds, maybe I'll see you in the fall--c'mon, Cleveland over Portland? What are you thinking? :p

CrzyDoc--they did say at my interview that tuition hikes are limited to 2% (I think; may have been 4%) cost-of-living increases for enrolled students. However, out of state students can't gain residency as long as they are in school, basically no exceptions. So that's not so great. One good thing if you decide to go to your interview though is that they aren't really a rolling school, so your interview in March won't put you at a disadvantage--they only accept 5-10% of the class outright, the rest of the class gets in through a ranked hold list that they put together after interviews are over in late March and start accepting people from after that. Good luck if you decide to come!

Mistress S said:
Thanks everyone! :D SDN has been such a great resource and supportive community all along. Now I've just got to put together celebration plans! Mr. Seeds, maybe I'll see you in the fall--c'mon, Cleveland over Portland? What are you thinking? :p

CrzyDoc--they did say at my interview that tuition hikes are limited to 2% (I think; may have been 4%) cost-of-living increases for enrolled students. However, out of state students can't gain residency as long as they are in school, basically no exceptions. So that's not so great. One good thing if you decide to go to your interview though is that they aren't really a rolling school, so your interview in March won't put you at a disadvantage--they only accept 5-10% of the class outright, the rest of the class gets in through a ranked hold list that they put together after interviews are over in late March and start accepting people from after that. Good luck if you decide to come!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding March 15th. Don't medical schools have to "fill" their classes by this date, according to AAMC rules? Then what's up with OHSU? and the UCs that interview through the end of April? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ambs said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding March 15th. Don't medical schools have to "fill" their classes by this date, according to AAMC rules? Then what's up with OHSU? and the UCs that interview through the end of April? :confused:
I think they have to accept the number of people for a single class, but in most cases, probably AT LEAST twice as many will eventually have to be accepted to actually fill the class since not all will matriculate at a given school.

Hey mistress, I haven't really followed your travails on sdn so not much i can say but congrats! Do u mind saying when you interviewed (I interviewed in the first week of Jan and I still haven't heard). Thanks and congrats again. Portland is really an awesome city btw (and this is coming from a so cal boy, lol).

Mistress S said:

Thanks for the info and Congrats!!!

:thumbup: ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!

lakersfan said:
Hey mistress, I haven't really followed your travails on sdn so not much i can say but congrats! Do u mind saying when you interviewed (I interviewed in the first week of Jan and I still haven't heard). Thanks and congrats again. Portland is really an awesome city btw (and this is coming from a so cal boy, lol).

Hey lakersfan,

I interviewed the first week of Jan also (Jan 6th I believe), so you should be hearing back soon. Good luck! :luck:

Well it looks like I'll be hangin' around the shadow of Mt. Hood next year :) Got my OHSU acceptance letter in the mail after a 13 hour work day! Not a bad way to end such a long day, no?

Barring any craziness in my life, I'll be attending OHSU next year. Hope there will be more of you joining "Club OHSU" soon.

Good Luck and like Mistress S, I live here in Portland so if anyone needs any info, drop me a line.

Cheers,
bdt

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm so happy for you! Can I say it now?? I TOLD YOU!!!!!! :D

How many other people read those letters and immediately think of Ohio State?

Curious if the poster who mentioned Case was thinking the same thing, too.

Ah Mistress... as a soon to be leaving member of the OHSU Class of '05 may I say congratulations? :D :luck:

KiKat37 said:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm so happy for you! Can I say it now?? I TOLD YOU!!!!!! :D

Thanks KiKat! I know you'll be posting your own acceptance soon! :luck:

Hopefully some more folks will be joinin' in at OHSU soon... For all those interested about the goings on at OHSU, the SOM just appointed a new Vice Dean. From what I've heard, Dr. Hedges will be a good choice. He might not have a ton of interaction with us as students, but he'll hopefully bring some weight to recruitment and boost the faculty. He literally wrote the book on emergency medicine procedures . Here's the info from the OHSU SOM's website:

Jerris R. Hedges, M.D., M.S., appointed as School of Medicine Vice Dean

Jerris R. Hedges, M.D., M.S., has been named as Vice Dean in the School of Medicine at Oregon Health & Science University. Dr. Hedges has been serving as Chairperson of the OHSU Department of Emergency Medicine since 1997. He will begin his duties as Vice Dean in mid to late April 2005.

As Vice Dean, Dr. Hedges will be the primary contact for the School of Medicine in many of its facets and endeavors, and will act for the Dean in his absence. Dr. Hedges will oversee the daily administrative operations of the Dean’s Office; coordinate the clinical activities of the faculty; and play a prominent role in searches, departmental reviews, and on various committees. In addition, Dr. Hedges will oversee and supervise the offices of the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, Associate Dean for Basic Research, Associate Dean for Clinical Research, and Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs/Faculty Development.

Dr. Hedges brings to the Vice Dean position a wealth of experience in medical education and administration as well as a profound understanding of OHSU’s culture. Dr. Hedges is internationally recognized for his contributions to the development of emergency medicine as a scientific discipline. His text Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine helped define the discipline and set the standard for evidence-based practice texts addressing clinical procedures. Dr. Hedges’ research has broadly encompassed the field; he will continue his research activities in emergency medicine in addition to his duties as Vice Dean. Dr. Hedges was elected to the National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine in October 2000.

Good Luck

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1109336614283070.xml

"The School of Medicine would lose $5.6 million, requiring a $10,000 in-state tuition increase, raising resident tuition to more than $36,000 a year. Hallick said the increase would make OHSU the most expensive publicly supported medical school in the nation. The cut also would reduce the number of students and would eliminate a requirement that medical students study in rural areas."

NPursuit said:
How many other people read those letters and immediately think of Ohio State?

Curious if the poster who mentioned Case was thinking the same thing, too.

Nope. I live in Oregon, OHSU is my state school.

I'm almost certainly going to OHSU - I almost wish school were starting sooner. Can't wait to find an apartment etc.

xaelia said:
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1109336614283070.xml

"The School of Medicine would lose $5.6 million, requiring a $10,000 in-state tuition increase, raising resident tuition to more than $36,000 a year. Hallick said the increase would make OHSU the most expensive publicly supported medical school in the nation. The cut also would reduce the number of students and would eliminate a requirement that medical students study in rural areas."

This is what happens when your state has no sales tax (ie a very undiversified tax base). Those of us in Multnomah county already feel the pinch because we had to pass a 1.25% income tax to help out school's and mental health services (gotta say it's a good trade off though. Less $$ in my pocket, but kids learning and less crazy people on the streets).

It's doubly sad because Oregon used to have such a inavative health care system (OHP which is now in shambles). Too bad John Kitzhaber, MD isn't still the govenor.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully, this cut won't happen as severly as it's stated right now. At interview, the dean said they were looking to take more students and that they'd limit tuition increases.

I'd love to see this resolved before May 15th for folks trying to make up their minds (Case's tuition isn't seeming too bad now eh Mr. Seeds?). And for those of us planning to go there, it'd be nice to know how deep our debt will be. Thanks for nothing politicians!

Good Luck to all and let's hope something good happens(Like getting to change the name to the Paul Allen School of Medicine because he donates $100 million).

Good Luck

Colonsay said:
I'm almost certainly going to OHSU - I almost wish school were starting sooner. Can't wait to find an apartment etc.

Enjoy the summer Colonsay and congrats on OHSU!!!

Not sure where you live, but ... bit about finding an apt. I live up near the hospital and noticed that last June (maybe into July) there were a TON of places open for rent. All the med students and residents are graduating so there's lots of places open before the new residents start. If you're looking to move to Portland, that might be a good time to do it.

That being said, living up on the hill can be fairly isolating (one pizza place, finally a coffeeshop, no grocery). It's kinda all OHSU all the time. This is making me think I may move back down the hill (SE or NW) so I have a little separation. But, some people like being able to roll out of bed to class (very tempting after commutin 1.5 hours a day for a few years)

Also, doesn't look like class starts till late august (so we've got a nice long wait for school to start)

OHSU has its own peeping tom! Who needs commerce and entertainment when you have perverts who prey on nerdy girls?

Did you guys get an acceptance a month after interviewing or aprox. when?
OHSU is my first choice but I have a feeling I'll get waitlisted since I don't have the best stats.
Do you know how often they meet to discuss the applicants? I just hope they get my thank you notes and LOI in time. ahhhh. . .you guys are so lucky! Enjoy it until August!

Congrats!

is it realistic to think about commuting to ohsu using public transit? ie, not having a car.

beep said:
is it realistic to think about commuting to ohsu using public transit? ie, not having a car.

beep,

not only is it realistic, it's almost a must. You can't buy parking on campus as a student so here are you options.

- Live on the hill, walk to class
- Live "down the hill" and
a. Take the bus (Porltand has the best public transit system of any place I've ever lived). The number 8 runs all the time because so many people use the bus

b. Ride your bike (It's a big hill, you will be in good shape)

c. Sleep with a parking pass endowed employee (resident,admin, attending) and break them to your will so that they're at your beck and call for all commuting needs

d. "Rent" a spot from someone who owns a place on the hill who doesn't park there during the day.

Like I said, Public transport in Portland is great and you get a bus pass as a student. I think this is how I'll be commuting. Note that parking is free after 6pm so you can always drive if you've gotta do some night studying.

I have lots of friends who commute all over portland by bike and bus. There are lots of bike lanes and buses have "bike carriers" Portland is a non-car friendly place. Portland even has a Bicycle Transportation Alliance that advocates for bike commuters.

Good Luck

neuronerd said:
Did you guys get an acceptance a month after interviewing or aprox. when?
OHSU is my first choice but I have a feeling I'll get waitlisted since I don't have the best stats.
Do you know how often they meet to discuss the applicants? I just hope they get my thank you notes and LOI in time. ahhhh. . .you guys are so lucky! Enjoy it until August!

Congrats!

Neuronerd,

Mistress S and I interviewed the same week and both got our acceptance about 5 1/2 weeks later (at interview they said you'd hear something in 4-6 weeks). It came in a very thin envelope. We're both OR residents

I was surprised to get an acceptance because OHSU only offers a view slots before interviews are over (I feel very very lucky). Maybe there's a current OHSU student lurking around who can say if this is true (ie they send out a bunch of acceptances in march).

Here's hopin' you get an acceptance... and if you get waitlisted... It looks like OHSU has lots of movement.

Good Luck!!!!

Thanks guys, I needed to hear that.
I guess I'm being way impatient but this is just waaayyy stretching my luck.
Hopefully, though, hopefully.

bjackrian said:
On the other hand, neuronerd, I interviewed the first week in January (MD/MPH), and I still haven't received a decision letter. They keep telling me it's coming...

Did you get an email from Dr. Stull last week? I have a feeling I'll be waitlisted (at best). I wish they would just send the damn letter.

blacklisted said:
Did you get an email from Dr. Stull last week? I have a feeling I'll be waitlisted (at best). I wish they would just send the damn letter.
Yeah, I got that e-mail. And I'm feeling the same way. My MPH interview went poorly, so I'm hoping for an MD-accept/MPH-hold or reject, but who knows?

bjackrian said:
Yeah, I got that e-mail. And I'm feeling the same way. My MPH interview went poorly, so I'm hoping for an MD-accept/MPH-hold or reject, but who knows?

You're not alone, my MPH interview didn't go well either. It was miserable, really. And I agree, at this point I'd be thrilled with an acceptance into the MD program alone. Good luck to you--hope all this waiting comes to an end soon.

Count me in too, I got the good news last Thursday!

Pchsgirl said:
Count me in too, I got the good news last Thursday!

Congrats Pchsgirl! Are you doing MD, MD/MPH, or MD/PHD? Don't know where you live, but if you've got any questions about Portland both Mistress S and myself live here. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. mmmm.... Portland

portland.gif

does anyone know when people on hold will hear about their decisions?

btowngirl said:
does anyone know when people on hold will hear about their decisions?

I just called OHSU because I am curious as well- they said that people are being accepted from the hold pool each week. On May 13th more people will be accepted and the rest will be converted into the Alternate List.

Congrats to all. I got my letter a couple of weeks ago, but am still waiting on the MD/PhD acceptance. Hopefully, I'll see you there!

bdt said:
Congrats Pchsgirl! Are you doing MD, MD/MPH, or MD/PHD? Don't know where you live, but if you've got any questions about Portland both Mistress S and myself live here. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. mmmm.... Portland

portland.gif

I live in Salem, about 40 miles south of Portland, and I went to Portland State for awhile so I'm fairly knowledgeable with the area as well. Also, I've got some experience at both the portland VA and OHSU hospital, so anyone can PM me if they have any questions about the area/school.

Congrats to those that have been accepted, and good luck to those waiting...

bluegrass_druid said:
Congrats to all. I got my letter a couple of weeks ago, but am still waiting on the MD/PhD acceptance. Hopefully, I'll see you there!

bluegrass, where you from the hold list? or is this just post-interview?

bdt said:

portland.gif

Thanks! I'm doing the MD program. I'm actually from P-town, and work at OHSU now, so I pretty much know the routine. Love the pic, any of you who are moving to Portland for school will love it. I'm also more than willing to answer questions about Portland.

Count me in! Got the good news today! :)