OHSU C/O 2009!!!!! Sweet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats to all you peeps who are going to ohsu. has anyone been accepted after being put in the "hold category" yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Ambs said:
Count me in! Got the good news today! :)

Ambs...

Congratulations on the good news!! I talked to the folks in the Dean's office and here's the general schedule for the start of next year.

Aug 8th - 12th : Optional "observationships"
Aug 15th - Orientation starts
Aug 22nd - Classes start

Ambs said:
Count me in! Got the good news today! :)

Congrats Ambs! It sounds like you're definitely coming then? It's a big change from Vegas! See you in the fall! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
duffy03 said:
I just called OHSU because I am curious as well- they said that people are being accepted from the hold pool each week. On May 13th more people will be accepted and the rest will be converted into the Alternate List.

this is interesting. i recently called the office and was told of this may 13th date also. however, i was told that no one had been taken off the hold list yet AND no one got taken off the hold list last year before may13 2004. how annoying. i would like to hear from someone (or a friend) who has actually been taken off the hold list this year as proof.

CONGRAT MISTRESS S! If everything falls in the right places, you could be my attending in a hospital setting. :D

...Do keep us updated on how the school and first classes are. I'm itching for an inside perspective.

Mistress S said:
Congrats Ambs! It sounds like you're definitely coming then? It's a big change from Vegas! See you in the fall! :thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm looking at attending OHSU. I really liked everything about it! :)

jillenekc said:
Ambs, when did you interview?

I interviewed on March 3rd, and I got the letter on April 1st. It's funny because OHSU was my very last interview. Strange how things work out.

bdt said:
Ambs...

Congratulations on the good news!! I talked to the folks in the Dean's office and here's the general schedule for the start of next year.

Aug 8th - 12th : Optional "observationships"
Aug 15th - Orientation starts
Aug 22nd - Classes start

Thanks for both the congrats and info! :thumbup:

A little more info about the schedule...I called OHSU last week and was told that the first week of orientation (8/15) would only last a couple of days, and then you have the rest of the week to get settled in if you just moved to Portland. Then they have more orientation and begin some classes on the 22nd. That's what I was told anyway, hopefully we'll get some kind of written schedule sent out soon.

btowngirl said:
this is interesting. i recently called the office and was told of this may 13th date also. however, i was told that no one had been taken off the hold list yet AND no one got taken off the hold list last year before may13 2004. how annoying. i would like to hear from someone (or a friend) who has actually been taken off the hold list this year as proof.

They do not typically reject/accept out of the hold pool until all the interview/committee reviews are complete, which usually is around May 15th. My understanding is that those of us who have received letters of acceptance were never in the hold pool. A certain percentage are accepted/rejected each year without having to go into that pool. Hope this helps!

Pchsgirl said:
They do not typically reject/accept out of the hold pool until all the interview/committee reviews are complete, which usually is around May 15th. My understanding is that those of us who have received letters of acceptance were never in the hold pool. A certain percentage are accepted/rejected each year without having to go into that pool. Hope this helps!

I think you're right. I wasn't put in the hold pool.

Ambs said:
I think you're right. I wasn't put in the hold pool.

I wasn't put in the hold pool either.

Also, if you go to the OHSU SOM website it still says:

ALTERNATE LIST WATCH:
For the 2004 entering class, as of 8/13/2004 we have accepted through alternate #64.

They haven't even switched over to 2005. I think Pchsgirl has got it right. I bet they go until all reviews are in. Then they rank, offer spots, and start takin' folks off the alternate list. It sure would be nice if they would post they're process.

Good Luck to those on hold!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mistress S said:
A little more info about the schedule...I called OHSU last week and was told that the first week of orientation (8/15) would only last a couple of days, and then you have the rest of the week to get settled in if you just moved to Portland. Then they have more orientation and begin some classes on the 22nd. That's what I was told anyway, hopefully we'll get some kind of written schedule sent out soon.

Thanks for the info! I can't wait! :D

Don't mean to hijack the thread either, but if any of you have ?s about the non-technical parts of ohsu, feel free to email me ([email protected]). I'm a first year who just housed one of the interviewees, which totally reminded me how this forum thing saved my sanity whilst I was freaking out over the waitlist numbers. Good luck to everyone and have some fun this summer!

I know there are only a few folks accepted at OHSU so far, and it's a bit early to be mentioning things in august but....

Orientation starts August 15th. If you're looking for something to do the night before... Pink Martini is playing a concert at the zoo here in portland (aug 14th). Pink Martini is a portland original and one of the best live shows you'll see.

It'd be a great intro to all of you who are moving here. Can't beat Pink Martini at the zoo on an august evening in Portland. You will be in love with this place afterwards... Trust me (unless of course you're super into punk or heavy gansta rap. then you might not like it). P. Martini is very cool lounge slic sung in english, japanese, french, portuguese.....

Check out the whole whole zoo summer concert series at...
http://www.oregonzoo.org/Concerts/

And give Pink Martini a lil' listen here...
http://www.pinkmartini.com/index.html

Hope the hold list gets done soon and things start movin' for folks

Does anyone the number or what percentage of the class has been accepted up until now?

tennisdude said:
Does anyone the number or what percentage of the class has been accepted up until now?

I don't have numbers on how many have currently been accepted, but I do remember at the interview they told us they only accept 5-10% of the class initially and the rest come off of the waitlist. Since they do not appear to have started accepting people off that list yet (if someone knows otherwise, please share), then probably only 5-10% or so of the class has been accepted. So those of us who are in already should definitely feel lucky! :thumbup:

At my interview we were told that 5-10% of those INTERVIEWED are accepted right off the bat, not 5-10% of the class. (That would be like 10 offers). Which means that they've offered more like 40 acceptances so far, with another 70 people to pull from the "holding pool" come May 15th. Then comes the waitlist movement. The crux of what we were told is that last year ~400 people were interviewed, and when all was said and done, ~200 spots were offered to fill their class of about 110. Good Luck folks.

Wow, to think that only 40 or so acceptances have been given so far ... :eek:

On that note, I definitely feel lucky to be accepted! :D

They said at my interview that this year they're interviewing closer to 600 people since their application numbers rose significantly from last year. Also, I remember hearing the same 10% of people who interviewed will get acceptances and the remainder will go to the hold pool or rejected.

So, classes start August 22nd while orientation is on August 15th.

Anyone moving to Portland? If so, when do you anticipate arriving?

And also, is there a white coat ceremony? (Just curious)

Ambs said:

If I attend OHSU, I'll be moving up from Salem about a week before orientation. I'm not sure about the white coat ceremony.

Ambs said:

There is a white coat cermony, I think at the end of the orientation week. I just found out I got in a few days ago after interviewing 3/15. I'll be working in Glacier Park in Montana up until the Friday before orientation, so i have no idea at this point how I am going to find a place to live. But I cant wait!

blacklisted said:
At my interview we were told that 5-10% of those INTERVIEWED are accepted right off the bat, not 5-10% of the class. (That would be like 10 offers). Which means that they've offered more like 40 acceptances so far, with another 70 people to pull from the "holding pool" come May 15th.

Yeah, that makes more sense. :oops:

About the white coat ceremony, I was told that it will be around 8/27. And fin aid says they will be mailing offers around the end of may/beg of june, a little late for those of you waiting for them to decide between schools.

Ambs, are you still planning on coming to OHSU? Inquiring minds want to know!

Mistress S said:
Yeah, that makes more sense. :oops:

About the white coat ceremony, I was told that it will be around 8/27. And fin aid says they will be mailing offers around the end of may/beg of june, a little late for those of you waiting for them to decide between schools.

Ambs, are you still planning on coming to OHSU? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hello =)

I am 90% sure that I'll still be coming to OHSU. I loved it so much!

I got a huge surprise today from the UWisconsin; they're offering 1/2 tuition scholarship. So, now the choice is between OHSU and UWisconsin. If it weren't for the amazing UWisc scholarship, OHSU would win. I'm decided on not going to my state school though.

Thanks for the info, and I'll keep you posted.

Wow, congrats Ambs on your scholarship.

Anyone know if there is a date we can call OHSU and find out our post-hold status? I am going to be out of town when the letter is supposed to come.

Ambs said:
Hello =)

I am 90% sure that I'll still be coming to OHSU. I loved it so much!

I got a huge surprise today from the UWisconsin; they're offering 1/2 tuition scholarship. So, now the choice is between OHSU and UWisconsin. If it weren't for the amazing UWisc scholarship, OHSU would win. I'm decided on not going to my state school though.

Thanks for the info, and I'll keep you posted.

Sheesh ambs

Medikit said:
Sheesh is an expression of overwhelming amazement

oh :oops:

thanks....can you make the decision for me?

sorry guys to hijack the thread. in spirit, ohsu rocks!!!

I called the FA office on Monday, and they said they haven't even started working on the packages yet. Apparently they're going to begin later this week. :eek:

I asked about scholarships, and they said that we won't hear about those until the school year starts. What the hell? :confused: I must have sounded like a ******, but I said, "I know the scholarship(s) won't actually go into effect till classes start, but won't we know of our offers much before that?" And he goes, "no."

So, I know OHSU has gone through budget cuts and what not, making me thinking they don't have much money to give away. :(

Does anyone mind calling the FA office (503-494-7800)? Maybe I just got wrong information or incomplete information...

Ambs said:
oh :oops:

thanks....can you make the decision for me?

sorry guys to hijack the thread. in spirit, ohsu rocks!!!

Well if you are a huge fan of indie music then the decision is easy.

If I were you I would have gone with Reno simply because when Carbon described the program to me it really sounded cool. Wisconsin is an excellent school but you would have to decide if Madison is right for you and if you want to be located that far from home. The bottom line is that whenever you talk you sound like you're in love with OHSU.

Medikit said:
Well if you are a huge fan of indie music then the decision is easy.

If I were you I would have gone with Reno simply because when Carbon described the program to me it really sounded cool. Wisconsin is an excellent school but you would have to decide if Madison is right for you and if you want to be located that far from home. The bottom line is that whenever you talk you sound like you're in love with OHSU.

aww... thank you for the advice. :) You're right; I do :love: OHSU. I am going to UW on May 8-9th for a second look. Maybe then I'll make a more informed decision.

Ambs said:
Does anyone mind calling the FA office (503-494-7800)? Maybe I just got wrong information or incomplete information...

Hey Ambs, I just called them and the person I spoke with reiterated the June date for when FA offers will be sent out. He said that will include any grant money we are eligible for, when I asked about scholarships he said there is a med school scholarship whose application doesn't come out until after the school year starts and is then awarded "late that year." So, that's kind of weird, but it sounds like what you were told so at least it's consistent. Good luck with your decision!

Mistress S said:
Hey Ambs, I just called them and the person I spoke with reiterated the June date for when FA offers will be sent out. He said that will include any grant money we are eligible for, when I asked about scholarships he said there is a med school scholarship whose application doesn't come out until after the school year starts and is then awarded "late that year." So, that's kind of weird, but it sounds like what you were told so at least it's consistent. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for calling!

Yeah, I'm bummed about the scholarship deal at OHSU. But oh well... I'm in! :D

BUMP!

Where is everyone?

I withdrew from all schools except UWisconsin & OHSU, and I'm planning on withdrawing from the former this week.

So, I've decided that it's OHSU for me! :)

I was reading about the OHSU curriculum, and I'm really excited. It sounds great! Anyone else overly/annoyingly/obnoxiously excited?!

Hey Ambs! Glad to hear that you'll be joining us! PM me if you have more portland questions. :thumbup: As far as the lack of activity here, I think that the OHSU waitlist will start seeing a lot of movement after may 15th. I don't think a lot is happening right now.

Mistress S said:
Hey Ambs! Glad to hear that you'll be joining us! PM me if you have more portland questions. :thumbup: As far as the lack of activity here, I think that the OHSU waitlist will start seeing a lot of movement after may 15th. I don't think a lot is happening right now.

I am still on hold... so I'm not sure if they have even made a waitlist yet. It seems as if they are waiting until the very very last minute to decide on the rankings of all of the students. I think it's a bit much if you ask me. May 15th to know if youre even waitlisted or not? It's such a late start to the waitlisting process. What if you have to apply with AMCAS again for 2006? Do you pay the money to do it in June if youre 50th or 60th on the waitlist? You could be waiting until July or August to find out, and then not get in, and if you haven't applied on AMCAS already, youre already getting a late start. But, on the other hand, if you do apply and pay 500 bucks, and then you get in from the waitlist, you just wasted 500 dollars. Kinda sucks. Congrats to you guys who have gotten in already. I hope I have the privilege of seeing you there :).

Jon

Ambs said:
BUMP!

Where is everyone?

I withdrew from all schools except UWisconsin & OHSU, and I'm planning on withdrawing from the former this week.

So, I've decided that it's OHSU for me! :)

I was reading about the OHSU curriculum, and I'm really excited. It sounds great! Anyone else overly/annoyingly/obnoxiously excited?!

Hey Ambs

I've also withdrawn from all schools except OHSU and Case. The financial aid package I just got from Case was very, very bad, and consequently I'm planning on withdrawing from Case in the next day or two. So it looks like I'll be at OHSU this fall as well :D

Mistress S said:

Thanks!! :)

Mr. Seeds said:
Hey Ambs

I've also withdrawn from all schools except OHSU and Case. The financial aid package I just got from Case was very, very bad, and consequently I'm planning on withdrawing from Case in the next day or two. So it looks like I'll be at OHSU this fall as well :D

:D See you this August!

side note: to set the record straight, OHSU is about half way up the hill, not on top of the hill. You'll notice this when you fly into portland.

someone save me a spot in line for star wars.... i'll be camped out in front of my mailbox for the next five days. scratch that, i hate star wars.

Question, why is OHSU 69% Asian? I know for a fact that NO ASIANS live in Oregon. There nust not be any affirmative action there :p

no asians here? dude, we have Intel.

Anyone else get the "Tuition Letter" from the Dean yesterday? His letter stated that out of state tuition is going to be $34,000 (and change). If the state budget cuts stay as they are, In-state will be $30,000. He stated that the best possible tuition (ie all funding re-instated) will be $24,000 for in-state. Ouch!!!

Looks like they're about to release the waitlist. Good luck to everyone!!!! :thumbup:

it is weird that the best possible (24,000) is lower than the projected (27,000). wasn't the projected in-state tuition posted before they knew about budget cuts?

30,000 sure is a lot for in-state.

what makes you think the waitlist is being sent out? thanks!

I called the admissions office two days ago and was really excited to learn that I was accepted to OHSU! Do any of you guys know when orientation starts? Have you been mailed any information on housing? I'm on the East coast so nothing has gotten to me yet.

cmizzy said:
I called the admissions office two days ago and was really excited to learn that I was accepted to OHSU! Do any of you guys know when orientation starts? Have you been mailed any information on housing? I'm on the East coast so nothing has gotten to me yet.

Congratulations! Orientation starts on August 15th. Here is the for the housing website: http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/acad/housing/ . They pretty much just give you a copy of this homepage in your first letter. Lots of other people on this thread are from around Portland, so I'm sure you can get good housing info from any of them as well.