OHSU C/O 2009!!!!! Sweet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Monkeyguts,

Thank you for the insightful post. :) I actually do have a few questions for you... I really appreciate your help!

I need/want to buy a laptop. I'll still have my desktop, but I'm a huge geek and keep things neurotically organized and therefore want the convenience of a laptop. Any way, are parts of the campus wireless enabled? Are lectures posted online?

Did you use your books primarily, or are you supplied with lecture notes?

Lastly, how do you feel about the grading system?

Oh wait - one more question! :p Do guys get to have a social life? Any group outings?

Thank you so much! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ambs said:
Monkeyguts,
Any way, are parts of the campus wireless enabled? Are lectures posted online?

Did you use your books primarily, or are you supplied with lecture notes?

Lastly, how do you feel about the grading system?

Oh wait - one more question! :p Do guys get to have a social life? Any group outings?

Thank you so much! :D

1. The basic science building (where you will have your lectures), the old library (where the locker rooms and some study areas are), and the BICC (the new library) all have wireless access. I believe the rest of the campus has wireless, but haven't really tried it out.

For the first course (GIE) they are pretty good about getting the lecture notes online, but it can vary from the same day to a few days after the fact that it actually gets posted.

2. Personally, I use lecture notes for the most part. This is especially true for the first class. You will get something in the mail this summer called the Sage which is a pamphlet/book that will let you know what our class thought about the different courses, which books were helpful, which were useless etc. For the first block I really only found myself using Netter's Atlas, Netter's flashcards, and A Color Atlas of Anatomy which is a textbook that is made not of drawings, but pictures of cadavers. It was a good resource in my opinion.

3. The grading system is well.....the grading system. There's not much you can do about it. It is fairly arbitrary and doesn't make a lot of sense. There are plenty who completely happy with Satisfactory and there are some that work their tails off to get honors. I like having a grading system because, for me personally, it does add some extra incentive to work harder.

4. Yes, there is a social life. People are going out and doing lots of things. Especially when one gets used to the work load then there is ample time to have fun. There is actually a class camping trip next weekend.

I'm glad to know there's wireless capability in areas. At first the grading system scared me, but I also think that it'll be more incentive to study harder/work harder.

Thank you, again, for the information. :) :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I just got a call from Carolyn! I'm in!!! :) :)
Finally, the over-a-year-long process is OVER!!!!

See you guys in the fall!! Look forward to meeting you all!

-V

Vinniemac888 said:
Hi guys!

I just got a call from Carolyn! I'm in!!! :) :)
Finally, the over-a-year-long process is OVER!!!!

See you guys in the fall!! Look forward to meeting you all!

-V

Were you on the waitlist? If so, what number were you? Just want to gauge how far they are on the list. Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything from financial aid yet? It seems they may be waiting until the in-state tuition gets settled, but the summer is quicky passing.

Idaho grown said:
Has anyone heard anything from financial aid yet? It seems they may be waiting until the in-state tuition gets settled, but the summer is quicky passing.

Yeah, it is a frustrating wait. I posted something about this earlier, basically they are not waiting for the tuition thing to get settled because the legislative session may run into September so instead they will send out awards based on the higher estimate and adjust it later if needed. They previously said they would be sending out offers end of May, clearly that hasn't happened so I called today and they said that it's "up next" and should be done in a week or so. I just hope they send them out before I leave for a month in July so I know what my financial situation will be when I get back. :confused:

for those that have been accepted off of the waitlist: how long did they give you to accept their offer? I am trying to gauge how long it will take for them to accept more people off of the list if those accepted from the beginning of the waitlist decline. Thanks!

Mistress S said:
Yeah, it is a frustrating wait. I posted something about this earlier, basically they are not waiting for the tuition thing to get settled because the legislative session may run into September so instead they will send out awards based on the higher estimate and adjust it later if needed. They previously said they would be sending out offers end of May, clearly that hasn't happened so I called today and they said that it's "up next" and should be done in a week or so. I just hope they send them out before I leave for a month in July so I know what my financial situation will be when I get back. :confused:

Hey you!

I really, really hope that they send FA packages soon! I'm stressed because not only do I have no idea what my budget will look like, but I also need to figure out housing! I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. If it's different from what they told you, then I'll be :mad: !

Ambs said:
Hey you!

I really, really hope that they send FA packages soon! I'm stressed because not only do I have no idea what my budget will look like, but I also need to figure out housing! I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. If it's different from what they told you, then I'll be :mad: !

What up Ambs! It's stressing me out too. My credit card is going to be maxed out by the end of summer if things continue to progress along their current trajectory, and I have no idea if I'll even have enough to pay rent, let alone keep them from breaking my knee caps. Let us know what you find out!

Mistress S said:
What up Ambs! It's stressing me out too. My credit card is going to be maxed out by the end of summer if things continue to progress along their current trajectory, and I have no idea if I'll even have enough to pay rent, let alone keep them from breaking my knee caps. Let us know what you find out!

Awww girl...I'm stressed about finances too! I quit work in a few weeks, and from then on it's all about the savings that'll deplete FAST. I'll def post what I find out tomorrow.

Bump so EvoDevo can move this thread on out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just read the entire thread and am super excited all over again.

I got in a month ago and just got my tattoo this week to celebrate!

I highly recommend the pink martini concert at the zoo aug 14th (www.oregonzoo.org). It is a good way to chill out the night before we decend upon the campus.

Anyone else live out here in hillsboro/ beaverton area?

jmk said:
Just read the entire thread and am super excited all over again.

I got in a month ago and just got my tattoo this week to celebrate!

I highly recommend the pink martini concert at the zoo aug 14th (www.oregonzoo.org). It is a good way to chill out the night before we decend upon the campus.

Anyone else live out here in hillsboro/ beaverton area?

You just got your tattoo? of?

On another note, I'm sorry guys, but I totally forgot to call the FA office on Friday. Work was crazy busy, and by the time I realized I hadn't called, it was nearly 5 PM. I will call on Monday, and maybe I'll have some good news when I come back, i.e. scholarships for ALL of us. YEAH! :laugh:

Ambs said:
You just got your tattoo? of?

A simple water wave around my right ankle.

Any word on financial aid?

Hi everyone!

I called the FA office today. She said they're just now getting started with processing applications, and packages should go out by two weeks. That being said, I asked whether we'll for sure have them by the end of June. She said that we would.

Let's hope. :rolleyes:

Hi again everyone...

So I'm in the final steps of organizing my Europe trip for July. Shoot, now I really hope we've got our packages by the end of June. I don't want to come back broke and unaware of how to finance my education, lol. I'm sure that WILL NOT happen, but I really just want it squared away NOW. NOW NOW NOW! :laugh:

so I just found out that I get to leave work at noon tomorrow and monday is a "plan at home day" - gotta love the few perks of being a teacher.

anyway so I figured I would swing by the FA office just to confirm what ambs found out by calling

I'll post my findings tomorrow

Well....

They must be getting sick of us in the financial aid office, but I had a couple of specific questions for them so I gave them a call too. Here's some info I got that I thought might be interesting to others (note, I'm non-trad and have been working for a few years. That's where I'm coming from in terms of FA)....

1. I put my parents tax info on my FAFSA (because I thought I had to) and I was worried their income would affect my EFC (estimated family contribution- The number used to help calculate how much federal $$ you can get). The FA office guy said that because we're graduate students, we're automatically considered "independent" and our parents' info isn't calculated into the EFC. Apparently, we don't "have" to put our parent's info on the FAFSA, but...

He did say that parents' info is needed for later in the year when Dept. of Health & human services grants/loans for low income students become available (they can help provide a low interest fixed rate loan).

2. Because my EFC was ~ $10,000, I was worried that I might not qualify for all of the $38,500 in stafford loans ($8500 subsidized, $30,000 unsubsidized. Best loan you're going to get). He said not to worry. They're fin aid budget is pretty big so they don't have to pick and choose who gets the staffords. So... sounds like we should all qualify for the $38500 in staffords.

3 If your EFC is under 5000, you should be able to qualify for a perkins loan ($6000 at 5%. No interest accrues while you're in school) which is another type of federal loan

4. They do have a list of private lenders they have worked with. They'll supply this list when we get our FA offers.

5. He said the incoming class was next up so we should be getting our offers sometime in june.

6. As with all things money... I can't guarantee my info is correct, but I think it's right.

Hope everyone is well.

I too went this morning. amazed they haven't put up a sign banning our class:

-disclaimer- do not quote me on any of this but the following is what I was told-

fin aid for SOM first year students starts monday. he hoped they would mail it out next week!!!

I also stopped by the dean's office (I'm not stalking the admin I just need to make sure a clerical error was cleared up)

Orientation starts the 15th and is only on monday and tuesday for clerical work and that sort of thing. We get the rest of that week off. The following week we have a mix of classes and orientation to "ease us into classes". It is mainly to inform us of our responsibilities as student physicians. Then on the friday of that week, aug 26th, is the white coat ceremony.

sounds like the first two weeks will be pretty chill.

jmk said:
I too went this morning. amazed they haven't put up a sign banning our class:

-disclaimer- do not quote me on any of this but the following is what I was told-

fin aid for SOM first year students starts monday. he hoped they would mail it out next week!!!

I also stopped by the dean's office (I'm not stalking the admin I just need to make sure a clerical error was cleared up)

Orientation starts the 15th and is only on monday and tuesday for clerical work and that sort of thing. We get the rest of that week off. The following week we have a mix of classes and orientation to "ease us into classes". It is mainly to inform us of our responsibilities as student physicians. Then on the friday of that week, aug 26th, is the white coat ceremony.

Thanks for the info!!! I really hope we get our offers in the mail soon!!! :)

Just wondering if you guys had thought about what neighborhood you will be living in. I am partial to the NW23rd area, but I'm curious as to how many students in our class will end up down there. I don't want to live somewhere where I feel isolated from the rest of the class. I'm not sure what fraction of previous classes have lived on the hill versus other places...

Also, I talked to a financial aid person on the phone last week and they said that they had an estimated budget of about $1600/month for living transportation and personal costs over a 9 month period. I don't know if that answers any of your questions.

When do all of you intend to move into your apt/home? Are you guys already in Portland???

cmizzy said:
Just wondering if you guys had thought about what neighborhood you will be living in. I am partial to the NW23rd area, but I'm curious as to how many students in our class will end up down there. I don't want to live somewhere where I feel isolated from the rest of the class. I'm not sure what fraction of previous classes have lived on the hill versus other places...

Also, I talked to a financial aid person on the phone last week and they said that they had an estimated budget of about $1600/month for living transportation and personal costs over a 9 month period. I don't know if that answers any of your questions.

When do all of you intend to move into your apt/home? Are you guys already in Portland???

I was told by finaid last week that we should estimate a budget of $1400/month... $1600/month would be much nicer, though. I'm going apartment hunting this weekend, and while I first looked around NW, my search has turned to SW, the South Park Blocks in particular. I think that transportation up the hill is something to check out when you're looking at apartments. Look up the bus routes to get an idea of what you'll have to do to get up there everyday. How many different buses are you willing to take to get to class at 8am... How many blocks are you willing to walk in the rain at 7am to get to these bus stops, etc...
If anyone has any advice on finding an apartment and wanting to live downtown, let us know!

emills said:
I was told by finaid last week that we should estimate a budget of $1400/month... $1600/month would be much nicer, though. I'm going apartment hunting this weekend, and while I first looked around NW, my search has turned to SW, the South Park Blocks in particular. I think that transportation up the hill is something to check out when you're looking at apartments. Look up the bus routes to get an idea of what you'll have to do to get up there everyday. How many different buses are you willing to take to get to class at 8am... How many blocks are you willing to walk in the rain at 7am to get to these bus stops, etc...
If anyone has any advice on finding an apartment and wanting to live downtown, let us know!

Yeah, $1600/mo would be nice. Does anyone know if OHSU increases your fin aid budget so you can get a computer? I'd like to get a laptop for school in the fall.

As far as apartment hunting advice, look back in this thread--several Portlanders, including myself, gave some rather lengthy advice earlier. NW around 23rd or the Pearl is nice, but expensive. Parts of SW could be a cheaper option. Public transportation is an important consideration, as parking on the hill is difficult and expensive.

I have the same question: does OHSU do what other schools do and give you a one time loan for a computer?

jmk said:

Hey Everyone,
I was just wondering if you guys know if the white coat ceremony is a student only thing, or if it is something for parents & people too. That might sound like a stupid question, but I really have no clue. Also, I'm sure there are separate housing threads, but for those of you stressed about housing, I have two rooms for rent my really nice, completely remodeled house in SE Portland. I don't want to take up a ton of space on this with details, but feel free to PM me if you want some more info. I have plenty of pics I can e-mail as well. At only $500 including all utilities, that leaves plenty of the $1400 (or $1600 if we're lucky!) for other fun stuff!

I actually got a reply about the computer question today, from a student though not fin aid so I can't say if it is 100% true. The student said they don't increase your fin aid budget for a computer, but that the fin aid is generous enough that most people can afford a computer if they want one. I guess we'll see!

Pchsgirl said:
Hey Everyone,
I was just wondering if you guys know if the white coat ceremony is a student only thing, or if it is something for parents & people too.

typically people invite family and friends. there seemed to be a mix of students w/ people and students w/out, the year I was working on the hill.

personally I invited my mom but it was more of an excuse to get her out here to see my house.

Hi everyone,

How's it going?

I haven't gotten my FA package yet, but I'm hoping it'll get here by the end of this week or next.

Are most of you going to live off of the hill? I'm coming up next month to get housing, and I don't want to be in some random area with no med students.

Howdy everybody,

Does anybody know if there is a website for our class (2009)?

Idaho grown said:
Howdy everybody,

Does anybody know if there is a website for our class (2009)?

I don't think we have one... but I'm not sure... :confused:

Hey everyone...I called the FA office again yesterday (they must be sick of me by now), they told me they had finished awards for "some" of our class. She looked me up and said mine was done 6/21, but I still haven't recieved anything in the mail (and I live in Portland, so OHSU mail usually arrives at my place the day after it's sent). I don't know why they would do it and not mail it to me. I'll post something whenever I finally get it, so all you out-of-staters can get an idea of when to expect yours.

I don't know anything about a class website. It would be cool if someone started one. I personally lack the technical expertise or I would volunteer.

Update, if anyone cares: I got something in the mail from OHSU today, but it was just info and a promissory note for a perkins loan--nothing else about my FA award. Did anyone else get their FA offer yet? Maybe tomorrow...

Mistress S said:
Update, if anyone cares: I got something in the mail from OHSU today, but it was just info and a promissory note for a perkins loan--nothing else about my FA award. Did anyone else get their FA offer yet? Maybe tomorrow...

Nope... nothing in the mail yet. Thanks for calling the office. ;) I'm going to call on Monday to see if they've gotten to or done my package.

Good morning, everyone!

I'm officially unemployed now! My last day at work was Friday. It feels so good to sit around and sleep in! :D

Where are all my classmates!? How's everyone doing?

Ambs said:
Good morning, everyone!

I'm officially unemployed now! My last day at work was Friday. It feels so good to sit around and sleep in! :D

Where are all my classmates!? How's everyone doing?

I quit work tomorrow!

I'm jealous! My last day isn't until July 8th. I have major short-timer's syndrome--I'm typing this at work now instead of doing something productive. :rolleyes:

Mistress S said:
I'm jealous! My last day isn't until July 8th. I have major short-timer's syndrome--I'm typing this at work now instead of doing something productive. :rolleyes:

Dido on all of the above, but even worse I am on until July 15TH!!!!

top you all august 5th is my last day... but at least I get a week vacation starting this wednesday. If it wasn't for the kids I would have check out by now.

I'm starting to not believe that fa packages will get to us before orientation

PS is anyone else getting a laptop. I'm currently debating the necessity of one. I have a six year old laptop that could be converted to "usable" for $200. I seem to remember students not highly recommending the need to have one. thoughts?

jmk said:
top you all august 5th is my last day... but at least I get a week vacation starting this wednesday. If it wasn't for the kids I would have check out by now.

I'm starting to not believe that fa packages will get to us before orientation

PS is anyone else getting a laptop. I'm currently debating the necessity of one. I have a six year old laptop that could be converted to "usable" for $200. I seem to remember students not highly recommending the need to have one. thoughts?

I'm going to get one because I'm a have-to-be-super-organized-nerd. From what I've gathered and heard, the campus has lots of wireless areas, so that's nice. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have one, but I'm sure it's useful.

Hi everybody!
How are people's living situation going? Who's gonna be living on the hill with me?? :)

Vinniemac888 said:
Hi everybody!
How are people's living situation going? Who's gonna be living on the hill with me?? :)

As far as my living situation goes... I haven't a clue! I'm coming to Portland in July to figure it all out. :scared:

I'll be coming mid july to check things out as well.

I've already looked around for places to live on/off the hill. Surprisingly, I've found a lot cheaper apartments on the hill than off the hill. Albeit, the apartments on the hill are kinda old, but for me, I'm saving at least $100 in rent!

Some suggestions - find the apartments on 11th street - one-bedroom apartments (NOT STUDIOS!) starting at 475 plus all utilities besides electricity... and I'm living at the end of 12th - one bed-rooms all at $515 (plus it's the only place I could find a dishwasher!)

The ones off the hill in Hillsdale, at the bottom of the hill, are around $600 for a really, really nice and spacious apt... i didnt want to pay that much for it though!

Anyway, goodluck in July, and look me up! I'll help you find an apt!

V

So after some thinking, I'm looking into buying a condo or townhouse. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a two bedroom or even a single.

I just got off the phone with the financial aid office, and they said my package is going in the mail today. Whew. Still can't believe how late it is, though.

That's good news! They told me my fin aid was complete 6/21, but I still haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. :confused: I don't really want to call again, but I wonder when they're going to send it.

Mistress S said:
That's good news! They told me my fin aid was complete 6/21, but I still haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. :confused: I don't really want to call again, but I wonder when they're going to send it.

I would call them and ask whether it's been sent. Tell them that you're getting ready to travel overseas, and it'd be a great help to know your financial situation prior to leaving.

Yeah, I guess I should. I really would like to have the peace of mind before I go, but I don't want to be annoying. Maybe it's too late for that already though. ;)

So you're thinking about buying a townhouse, Ambs? That's great! How can you afford it though? Buying a place would be nice, but I don't see how I could while living off of loans. Are you doing it by yourself, or with someone else (someone with a stable income and good credit history, perhaps)? Not trying to be nosy, just wondering how this can be done as a student. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.