OHSU Class of 2011 Official Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

f20cdentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is in for the class of 2011? I got my official letter couple days ago and I am going to send in my $500 deposit tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Who else is in for the class of 2011? I got my official letter couple days ago and I am going to send in my $500 deposit tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, when did you interview? I went on Jan. 11th but haven't heard anything back yet:mad:

Can't wait to start this fall! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be here before you know it!
See ya all soon.

Just out of curiosity, when did you interview? I went on Jan. 11th but haven't heard anything back yet:mad:

Hi cybermech. I was interviewed on late November...just hang in there, I hope you get the email from Mark soon.

Im there too... sent my deposit in the day I got the acceptance! I can't wait until august!

Wow, almost 10% of the class of 2011 has posted here...interesting:)

I got my letter last Thursday, but I had interviewed back in November. I'll see you guys in August!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there. I am looking forward to meeting everyone in August.

I thought that this thread needed a revival.

Has anyone thought about living situations. I am thinking about trying to get a house near Beaverton or Raleigh Hills areas and trying to commute by car/bus. The price seems more reasonable out there. What are others doing? Does anyone have any other good ideas?

I thought that this thread needed a revival.

Has anyone thought about living situations. I am thinking about trying to get a house near Beaverton or Raleigh Hills areas and trying to commute by car/bus. The price seems more reasonable out there. What are others doing? Does anyone have any other good ideas?

I live in Salem, and will be commuting each day :eek: . If after awhile, it isn't working out, I will rent a room somewhere near campus and stay there during the week so I can be home with my family as much as possible. One of my interviewers said it has been done before, so it is at least comforting to know it can be done!

I am going to be living in Beaverton during the week and catching the train home for the weekends to be with my family as well.

Just so you all know, there is a direct OHSU shuttle from the Beaverton/Hillsdale area to the D-school.

I got accepted 2 weeks ago, and sent in my deposit that day!!!

can you elaborate more about the direct shuttle or provide a link for more information. That would be really convenient.

There are many places you could set up shop in Portland. Two questions to ask yourself:

1. do I want to buy or rent
2. How long do I want my commute

My first year, I lived in Beaverton and rode the MAX (light rail) in - long commute, but many places to choose from (buy and rent). The next three years, I lived in Hillsdale - quick commute (7-8 min), nice neighborhood, but generally a little spendy to buy a house (condos are more reasonable). I did a little stint on the hill - apartment living, but free parking and walk to work. Now, I live in St. Johns, a north portland neighborhood - cheap housing to buy, relatively short commute (17 min), but developing neighborhood.

If you aren't too comfortable with Portland, I would recommend just getting into a place for <1 yr and get settled in with school. Later you can find the ideal part of Portland that you want to spent the next 3+ years. I would personally keep my commute to <30 min - I hate traffic.

Also, the front office ladies at the D-school will send you a list of possible rentals around the hill. There is a bulliten board at the D-school (2nd floor), and a larger one at the Med school (by Mackenzie hall cafeteria and the financial aid office) with housing listings that are pretty helpful. Have fun.

Thanks for the info that will be really helpful. I am planning on talking with some of the students that I know up there and getting there advice too.

I can't wait to start, but I am a little worried about the parking situation. I live in the clackamas-happy valley area and I obviously cannot park on the hill or waterfront unless I have a carpool and the transit system would take forever!
Is there anyone coming from this area? Or any suggestions?

I live in Milwaukie and work on the Hill -- normally, I carpool with my roommate who drops me off at the bottom of the Tram. When that doesn't work out for us, I drive to the Barbur Transit Center and take the bus from there.

I can't wait to start, but I am a little worried about the parking situation. I live in the clackamas-happy valley area and I obviously cannot park on the hill or waterfront unless I have a carpool and the transit system would take forever!

The Max will be going to that area by 2009...I think. Check out trimet online though to make sure.

Thank you for your responses. I will have to play around with different ideas.

Congrats to all of you accepted. I'm going to be applying the summer of 2008 so you will all be in your 3rd year if I make it in but I'm hoping to get into OHSU! Been an Oregonian my whole life, don't want it to change. Anyone have some words of wisdom for getting into OHSU? Any contacts that I can make for visits or anything?

The Max will be going to that area by 2009...I think. Check out trimet online though to make sure.

But that line, last I heard, will run along I-205 and then meet up at Gateway. That would be a LONG commute to take the MAX up to Gateway then across to Pioneer Square, then transfer to the #8.

Check out http://trimet.org/i205/project.htm

You'll probably be better off driving to a Park and Ride then taking the bus.

Congrats to all of you accepted. I'm going to be applying the summer of 2008 so you will all be in your 3rd year if I make it in but I'm hoping to get into OHSU! Been an Oregonian my whole life, don't want it to change. Anyone have some words of wisdom for getting into OHSU? Any contacts that I can make for visits or anything?

Any time the dean of admissions goes to career fair or talks to your pre-dental group go and listen. I would also go and schedule a tour of the school during the summer before you apply. Anyone that you meet that works at the dental school or has any say is good opportunity for you.

good luck

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will see some of you in the next couple of years. Good luck to all!

I am starting at OHSU this August as well. Quick question for anyone who knows - where are you going to pick up your scrubs for d-school? Thanks.