OHSU (OOS) vs. ASDOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovelyDental

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was fortunate enough to have received an acceptance to both OHSU and ASDOH as an out of state student. I am torn between choosing between each school, and would love to get some advice!

School 1: OHSU (OOS)
Pros:
  • $74,436 tuition -- cheaper
  • The weather is rainy and overcast, which I love
Cons:
  • Portland is a potentially unsafe area when compared to Mesa due to the ongoing political climate
  • Further away from home
  • P/F curriculum where specializing would be dependent upon receiving a 92% or higher in a course to obtain a letter of commendation
School 2: ASDOH
Pros:
  • P/F curriculum where a dean's letter would be provided for those applying to specialty programs
  • Closer to home
  • The school is located in a safer area
  • I've heard fantastic things about ASDOH's clinical experience, and that they are able to get exposure to many procedures
  • The faculty I had the opportunity to talk to seemed very passionate about their school and their mission to help underserved communities
Cons:
  • $82,035 tuition -- more expensive
  • Very hot in the summer

Members don't see this ad.

A dean’s letter is given at every school upon request. It’s a formality. The P/F system seems more forgiving at ASDOH based on what you’re saying so it is something to consider if your considering specializing. All that being said, for an 80k difference, that’s a lot of coin to shell out based on the perception that it may be harder to specialize and that the area may be unsafe. Personally, it would be hard for me to justify spending that much more. But when in doubt, go with YOUR gut.

To help you understand what this means, for an 80k cost difference, you’ll be paying back approximately an extra $800 each month in loan payments using standard repayment over 10 years

Personally, I would go to OHSU for low cost. Specializing will be dependent on how you hard you work in school, no matter where you go, but like ^^ said, if you feel like you may regret your decision on where to go because you felt connected during your interview, then go where you feel will make you happiest

ASDOH! I have heard that they REALLY focus on teamwork and don't want competition between the students, so the students have healthier relationships with each other. The weather is very sunny and enjoyable in comparison to the depressing Portland, OR weather.