OHSU OOS vs LSU-New Orleans In State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MollyCule

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very fortunate to have the "problem" of deciding between multiple medicals schools. I have narrowed down my choices to these two schools but I am still feeling very torn. I am a Louisiana resident, although I am originally from the west coast area. I have spent a lot of time in both cities and know I would be happy at either place. I also have good support systems in both cities. I see myself living in the west coast-ish area later on in my life. I am unsure of which specialty I want to go into but have thought most seriously about emergency medicine, OB/GYN and Urology. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

OHSU

Pros:
  • Very supportive/creative learning environment
  • P/F for preclinical years
  • Approx. six months less time spent in the classroom
  • More research opportunities
  • Good matches in regions I want to ultimately end up in/great reputation
  • Easy access to the outdoors!
Cons:
  • VERY expensive OOS tuition ($64,000)
  • Accelerated curriculum which means you take step one six months earlier
  • NO summer breaks, very long days
  • Worried about how oversaturated Portland is because of the amount of healthcare students
LSU
Pros:
  • Tuition would be roughly $30,000 less/year
  • New hospital is beautiful
  • Amazing clinical exposure/greater diversity
  • Students here seem genuinely happy/
  • Step scores above the national average
Cons:
  • Not P/F (although it is H/HP/P/F)
  • More traditional school (seems OHSU has a more innovative approach to education)
  • Not as nationally recognized, many students stay in LA for residency

Summary: I have spent the last few months going back and forth. I initially was leaning towards OHSU but now I am pretty much equally split. I know cost isn't everything, but the difference would be about $120,000 before interest. I feel like both schools will provide me with a great education, so is the extra money worth it? I was also very impressed with LSU when I attended my interview. The students seem very close and it seems like they spend a lot of time together both inside and outside of class. Ultimately, I know I can't go wrong and I am very lucky to have this problem. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Could people that voted/have an opinion please explain why they feel that way? It would be very helpful. Thanks!

Hi, so I voted much earlier and based on your bio and pros and cons I picked OHSU. To me it seemed like matching back in the northwest/west seemed a priority to you and OHSU puts you in a great position to do that. It's also P/F and gets you in the clinic earlier. It seemed to me like the extra money was worth it to set you up to match back in the west (which I hear is really competitive). Obviously the cost is a major con, but perhaps it is possible to become an Oregon resident for years M2-M4? Maybe look into that