1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

OHSU secondary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xaelia, Sep 20, 2002.

1. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I thought I noticed someone out there had received an Oregon Health & Science University secondary application.

Has anyone received one? When? And are you in-state, or out-of-state?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pinki

Pinki Sassy Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm an out of stater, got my OHSU secondary this past Monday and mailed it in yesterday. Pretty straighhtforward form to complete, with optional comments if you so desire.

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i got it a couple of days ago.
    i'm out of state.
    it's pretty easy -- no essay except something like "tell us something about yourself".

5. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i got it last week. out of state. i got thru 13 secondaries and when this one came (last one) i just decided i had had enough and didn't fill it out. one less applicant for OHSU. :)

good luck all! :)

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

You should fill it out. When I interviewed there last year, I absolutely loved it. I have a lot of family in Oregon , so I already knew I loved the city. If I'd gotten in, I might have chosen to go there over Columbia. 13 secondaries is not really a lot. I did 20+ last year. Of course, Columbia was the only one without a secondary :rolleyes: but there was no rhyme or reason to my other acceptances/rejections, and if Columbia hadn't taken me (and it was a miracle they did) I would have been really glad I filled out all those secondaries. So, get back to work!! :)

7. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

shh!! i don't want anyone taking up my spot at ohsu :) i love portland!

8. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I still have not gotten mine yet, and I'm an out-of-stater in the dumbest state of them all, Florida. Hopefully I am deemed qualified to receive a secondary, if not they would be the only school that screens to not send me a secondary. I've heard great things about this school and Portland is a place I would love to go. I suppose though that OHSU prefers students from out west and not us eastern folk by the Atlantic.

9. CD

CD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I heard this last year although I can't back it up with facts. OHSU went semiprivate a few years ago which allows them to accept more out of state applicants. I heard it was around 30% out of state. By out of state they mean out of the regional agreement states. BTW I'm an Oregon resident and LOVE Oregon. As a parent of an OHSU patient, I'm quite familiar with the facilities. If anyone needs directions...........

10. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

11. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Tweetie also got one. Here's the thread where she talks about it. :)

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

13. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

a friend's brother is an oregon resident and graduated from ohsu a few years ago. he encouraged me to apply even though i'm out of state. he loved it there and said they are now letting in more out of state students. i think he said it's to get more money for the school, but i can't remember. maybe i made that up?? i don't think so, though. i'lm pretty sure he said that.

14. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Lola, no you didn't make it up. That's what they told my group when I interviewed there last year. That's also pretty much what CD said above. :)

15. buglady

buglady We need more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got my OHSU secondary this past Saturday...very excited! My best friend, who is also applying to med school (and of course OHSU), lives in Portland and I will be visiting her this next week...might just have to personally drop off my secondary at OHSU since I'll be in the neighborhood ;).

Although I'm a CA resident and have a very OUTSIDE chance of getting an interview, how cool would it to be in Portland for med school? Wait, let me just ask, WHO DOESN'T LOVE PORTLAND?! I love it, love it, love it.

Oh yeah, and I think the reason why they're admitting more out of state applicants is due to the quadruple in NIH funding? I think that's what I read on their website.