1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

OHSU travel question

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Mumpu, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

Can someone give me a scoop on traveling to OHSU? Seems like there are no hotels within walking distance of the hospital. Where do most folks usually stay? How good/bad/reliable is the public transportation?

Many thanks!
    D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No, there's nothing within walking distance because the hospital's on top of a big hill with a windy road... take a cab from downtown - it shouldn't cost you more than $10 or so. I wouldn't trust public transportation on the way to an interview unless you give yourself an extra 90 minutes, at least (maybe I'm just too cautious).

4. Paranoid Android

7+ Year Member

The public transportation system in Portland is actually SUPER DUPER. If you stay downtown (which I would recommend...Portland's downtown is sweet!), you can take the #8 bus up to Marquam Hill, it should take roughly 10 minutes to get to the main hospital. You can check out the local public transportation website at http://www.trimet.org for complete schedule and route information. The buses can be a bit crowded at times, but they are quite reliable. Hope this helps.

5. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

That does help. Thank you very much!

6. karma4me

karma4me Member
    7+ Year Member

It would be more fun to stay downtown, but if you really want to be close to campus and not deal with public transit, there's a B&B super-close.

Hedlunds Bed and Breakfast
    Phone: 503 223-6617
    Address: 3412 SW 13th Avenue
    Located 6 blocks from OHSU

Rates: $55.75 - $66/night

Includes breakfast
    Walking distant to OHSU

Good Luck!

7. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

Thanks! I already found something else though. Not within a walking distance but they run a free shuttle to OHSU (and public transportation is right there).

Oh how I hate traveling...

8. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

*double post* BUHLETED!

9. Hog Daddy

Hog Daddy Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

The MAX light rail train costs $1.80 from the airport to downtown hotels, and is very easy to figure out. I paid for a ticket, but I never saw anyone collecting them, and saw many people just walking on.

The bus worked well for me, and drops you off right in front of the hospitals.

Bring an umbrella.

Good luck. Portland is a very nice city.

10. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    portland has really good public transporation. go to www.trimet.org and just type in where you want to, and they'll give you a schedule. if you stay downtown, you can easily catch a bus (i think the #8?) to ohsu. personally, i think that'd be preferable to staying right by the school.

and of course paranoid android already told you this cool stuff. listen to him/her! stay downtown, take the bus, and you probably won't need an umbrella.

11. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah, you only have to show your ticket if there's a fare officer on the train, which has happened to me maybe once. my dh takes the max to and from work every day, and he encounters them a couple of times a month but he rides at rush hour. i'm sure lots of people don't pay. of course, lots of the people just getting on without buying a ticket might have an annual or monthly pass.

12. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

I got it figured out I think, thanks for all your help. I come from a place that runs 10 buses once a day (and then complains no one rides them) so the whole concept of "public transportation" is novel. :)

13. waterz

Non-Student
    Yes, there is a good B&B within 5 minutes walk from OHSU.

Its called the Inn at Marquam Hill. www.innatmarquamhill.com

503-223-6617. Reasonable rates, nice people, great food.

14. orientedtoself

orientedtoself resident
    5+ Year Member

way to resurrect a thread that is two years old ? ? ? :confused: