• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nessuno

Apr 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
I was accepted to both Miami Miller and Oregon Health Sciences as a California resident.

Miami because:
  • Students seemed very happy
  • Welcoming students faculty and staff
  • Great clinical experience
  • Felt Miami was a place I'd be happy living in (beach, sunshine etc)... though it was a perfect day when I visited

OHSU because:
  • Student body seemed more like me (not right out of college)
  • Better research opportunities
  • Better placements (and on the west coast where I want to ultimately be..)
  • It's ranked better (does this even matter?)

Overall, I feel very lucky to have been accepted to both of these schools but I'm having a terribly hard time choosing between them. Can someone (possibly from either school) lend some outside perspective?

Many thanks!

Bro Dude

Subaquatic Creel Engineer
Dec 16, 2011
Status (Visible)
I was accepted to both Miami Miller and Oregon Health Sciences as a California resident.

Miami because:
  • Felt Miami was a place I'd be happy living in (beach, sunshine etc)... though it was a perfect day when I visited

OHSU because:

Overall, I feel very lucky to have been accepted to both of these schools but I'm having a terribly hard time choosing between them. Can someone (possibly from either school) lend some outside perspective?

Many thanks!

Both are excellent programs. But as OOS, either one is gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

BTW: I'd pick OHSU just for that skytram, haha. I really enjoyed the ride when I visited.

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
NorCal --> Flyover Country
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Miami because:

OHSU because:

Many thanks!

OHSU because of this

About the Ads

Nessuno

Apr 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
Both are excellent programs. But as OOS, either one is gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

BTW: I'd pick OHSU just for that skytram, haha. I really enjoyed the ride when I visited.

... you have a point there :)

Nessuno

Apr 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
OHSU because of this

I wonder how much that really matters though. Perhaps the geographical bias is just because most people at OHSU are already on the west coast, and vice versa at Miami. I really don't know enough about how matching works. Am I SOL applying cross country?

mybubbles627

May 10, 2011
West Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I wonder how much that really matters though. Perhaps the geographical bias is just because most people at OHSU are already on the west coast, and vice versa at Miami. I really don't know enough about how matching works. Am I SOL applying cross country?

Not at all. You can apply/get a residency anywhere in the country regardless of where you attended medical school. Based on your comments it seems like you would rather go to Miami. So go there. You can still get a residency back on the East Coast. Medical school is 4 years, go where you will be happiest.

Nessuno

Apr 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
Not at all. You can apply/get a residency anywhere in the country regardless of where you attended medical school. Based on your comments it seems like you would rather go to Miami. So go there. You can still get a residency back on the East Coast. Medical school is 4 years, go where you will be happiest.

While I agree with your advice, it seems like you are heavily invested in getting a spot at OHSU from your post history.

mybubbles627

May 10, 2011
West Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
While I agree with your advice, it seems like you are heavily invested in getting a spot at OHSU from your post history.

I just call it like I see it. Yes I would like to go to ohsu. But you going doesn't equal me not going. I just answered your question about residency. I'm not going to bash ohsu to anyone to make them not go there if its there best option. Miami and ohsu are pretty equal schools so I didn't see a problem supporting what seemed to be the school you liked better. Sorry if you think my intentions are more than that. Good luck with whatever you decide.

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.