OHSU vs UW psychiatry residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spazz911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all--

There aren't any threads historically on comparing these two psych programs explicitly. I find this interesting considering how many folks are hoping to match in the Pacific Northwest which means you're either matching OHSU or UW.

I would appreciate any/all insights onto these two programs. I am leaning towards OHSU because of location, fit, and resident cohort. For context, I did an away at UW, I am interested in C/L and child (sorta). I know OHSU has their community focus-- though I'm not sure exactly what "community" psychiatry is other than not being inpatient and not being academic... which is pretty much my goal.

My personal struggle is:
UW: incredible faculty, incredible resources, residents kinda tough to relate to and somewhat arrogant
OHSU: faculty is a wild card (haven't worked with them directly), good resources, lovely resident cohort

I'm having difficulty reconciling the big badass academic UW with their impressive residents (Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, etc), and the good ol' wholesome OHSU with happy humble residents. I learned IMMENSELY on my UW rotation though. I wonder if I'd learn as much at OHSU or gain as many valuable mentors? Thoughts?

Would especially love feedback from OHSU and UW residents, med students, or visiting med students.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have made up your mind but have trouble reconciling ranking a smaller community program over a major academic center. I would suggest that if you would prefer to live in Portland, and feel that you would fit in better there, then go with OHSU. The main issue with OHSU is they have invested in this Unity project which my spies tell me is an utter **** show. I am not sure how that would affect your residency experience, but the project is very poorly managed which is what happens when you have too many masters trying to run something. You never mentioned what your interests are. OHSU has community psychiatry as a major strength (this has been somewhat of a weakness at UW though they were supposed to rectifying this). OHSU has an early psychosis program (UW does not currently have one though they are developing services in this area, but not clear what opportunities for residents there would be). OHSU also has a notable intercultural psychiatry program (UW residents can rotate in an international medicine clinic but the services are nowhere near as robust). cost of living is lower in portland (though is rapidly increasingly). The medicine months are tougher at UW (and I believe they still have q4 28hr call but they would have mentioned that if that's the case). You will get to rotate at the state hospital at OHSU which is a pain to get to (at least a 45min drive) but at least gives you experience w/ refractory patients or forensic treatment setting. UW no longer sends its residents to the state hospital because the local state hospital is a snake pit and threatened with closure because of how dangerous it is. I believe OHSU has no call PGY-4 but UW has call all 4 years.

The only reason I would suggest going with UW in your case is if you happen to have a strong interest in collaborative care/integrated care, or want to have an academic career. There would obviously be more opportunities to get involved in research in a number of different areas (but most notably collaborative care, HSR, addiction, child psychiatry).

I know several excellent psychiatrists who trained at OHSU. I am sure you will have no difficulty finding a job or establishing a private practice, though you probably wont learn how to start a cash based practice unlike at UW (Portland is one of the best paying areas for insurance in the country, the best insurance pay $350 for a 99205 [initial intake] and even a worker's comp assessment pays $350 bucks there. the medicaid rates seem to be better than in seattle too.)

I was looking at jobs at the Portland VA they are supposedly hiring lots of psychiatrists, they have yet to get back to me. My friend had the same experience. That was months ago...

Hey there Splik. I remember you from years ago when I was last on SDN. I believe I emailed you early on, so it's lovely to see a familiar username :)

Thanks for the thorough response as well. In terms of my interests, I am most interested in psychotherapy and C/L. I have a strong psychosocial tint to me. A bit unique but I also am hoping to create a niche for myself in narrative psychiatry / medical humanities. I am not particularly interested in collab-care, but it seems interesting. But I do have an interest in OHSU's intercultural clinic and early psychosis clinic.

You're right in my dilemma of "name" in a way, though mostly it is my concern for faculty and training environment. That's a big shame to hear about your concerns for Unity-- I was actually really stoked about it considering their inpt unit used to be in a basement. I'm sure it'll be a ****storm but hopefully it'll die down by my intern year. I actually find Unity to be a big sell considering they are quite innovative in terms of their approach (based on the Alameda style from John George). In lieu of what your spies may say, I'm still convinced I'm stoked about Unity. Portland needs it immensely. Crossing my fingers it will be a good place to train as a resident since a huge chunk of time will be spent there (25%).

Hi all--

There aren't any threads historically on comparing these two psych programs explicitly. I find this interesting considering how many folks are hoping to match in the Pacific Northwest which means you're either matching OHSU or UW.

I would appreciate any/all insights onto these two programs. I am leaning towards OHSU because of location, fit, and resident cohort. For context, I did an away at UW, I am interested in C/L and child (sorta). I know OHSU has their community focus-- though I'm not sure exactly what "community" psychiatry is other than not being inpatient and not being academic... which is pretty much my goal.

My personal struggle is:
UW: incredible faculty, incredible resources, residents kinda tough to relate to and somewhat arrogant
OHSU: faculty is a wild card (haven't worked with them directly), good resources, lovely resident cohort

I'm having difficulty reconciling the big badass academic UW with their impressive residents (Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, etc), and the good ol' wholesome OHSU with happy humble residents. I learned IMMENSELY on my UW rotation though. I wonder if I'd learn as much at OHSU or gain as many valuable mentors? Thoughts?

Would especially love feedback from OHSU and UW residents, med students, or visiting med students.

It sounds like you are already familiar with UW and have a sense that it might not be a great fit for you. They are both great programs. Whatever you choose, you can't lose with this decision! Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Splik is obviously more versed in these two programs than anyone else on this board, but one thing I tell applicants is that it behooves the applicant to try to match into the best program possible because your interests can and most likely will change. More specifically- you do not want to be limited in career opportunities. OHSU is a solid and respectable program, but UW is top 5-10, and you will have more opportunities/doors opened/etc coming from UW. Also the mentorship opportunities (a HUGE component of residency about which no one really talks) are probably much stronger at UW.

Reactions: 2 users