OIS Graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobernavy

cobernavy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My family was asking me what OIS graduation is like and were wondering whether or not it would be worth attending. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My family was asking me what OIS graduation is like and were wondering whether or not it would be worth attending. Any thoughts?

It's not really worth attending. I was a finalist for battallion commander and then my wife would've made the trip, but I didn't get it so she didn't make the trip.

If they're only a couple/few hours away it might be worth it, but otherwise I would tell them not to bother making the trip for a couple of hours just to see a boring ceremony. (nice run-on sentence huh?)

I would agree with bignavypedsguy. The only other situation it would be worth it is if you come from a military family and this graduation was a big deal for the whole family. It really takes less than an hour and is not worth the money of a plane ticket.

I must agree as well. It's only worth it if you live within a few hours drive or have a big family history with the Navy. Some of the chaplains there will have to do another 8 weeks or so after OIS and it's worth it for them because they will be able to see their family between programs. If you're just doing OIS and going home, you'll see you family later the same day. What's the point?