ok 3rd and final time taking mcat.. what should i prep with for april

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wall$treet

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok folks well im applying this year but i have the time from dec to april to pretty much eithe rbe lazy or do devote all that tiem to taking the mcat, in case i dont get in to improve my app for next summer. i took this aug and got a 8v 11b 11p.. its the verbal that is pissing me off and my downfall. so this time around i konw about EK.. so im going with EK materials,, aamc tests 4, 5 and 6, my old kaplan review books, and the EK prac tests. Anyone else have advice? and also does anyone know wheer to get explanations for the AAMC science practice items?? anyone else going for the 3rd and lucky time???

Members don't see this ad.

I think your review strategy sounds good. Can you tell us virgin MCATers what you might have done wrong in he previous attempts?

I don't see why you are retaking? The avg. MCAT for most matriculants is 29-30, so you're right on the button. An 8V is nothing to write home about (i got an 8V also), but you should be able to get in somewhere. If you apply to a broad range of schools and don't see progress, I would look to some other flaw in your application besides the 8V- that's not enough to prevent you from landing in med school.

3 times is sorta excessive. have you talked to your premed advisor about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by BobbyDylanFan
I think your review strategy sounds good. Can you tell us virgin MCATers what you might have done wrong in he previous attempts?

what an a*s...

wallstreet,
i think your score is fine. a 30 mcat will get you in somewhere if the other parts of your application are solid. but it's your decision. i would just advise you not to take it unless you are very confident that you'll be able to improve from a 30.

Thanks guy for the input. I woud say for the virgin mcaters, i have learned alot by taking it twice. My strategy probably wont change for the sciences this time, i foudn it effective the first two times actually but im jus tnot a brillian type person who is capable of getting 13s or something. i am hoping for alteast one 12 this time! But i built a foundation with text book, and review books, and after each subject i would do practice Qs, both mcat and non mcat style to reinofrce what i learned.I kept old physiology books and others to review weak areas. Then after i did that i just did a **** load of practice. I did about 1 prect test a week for 5 weeks prior to the exam.. Used the aamc stuff. i dont kow i wouldnt recomend kaplan, they sucked, just get good stuff on ur own. I learned about EK and i think that will help. Frnakly i never practiced enough verbal, thinking id do fine on the real thing but this time im getting like 400 passages and just practicing and reading novels etc. so well see. Good lcuk to you 1st timers.. honestly i worked my azz off the 1st time, i nevcer thought id be here haha oh wel vebal

Why bother retaking it, seems like a waste of time to me. My friend got similar scores and she's a 3rd yr at Harvard med right now. If rest of ur application is excellent then even with an 8V, u can get in
You're only delayin ur med schl process, but hey whatever floats ur boat:p

Originally posted by lotanna
Why bother retaking it, seems like a waste of time to me. My friend got similar scores and she's a 3rd yr at Harvard med right now. If rest of ur application is excellent then even with an 8V, u can get in
You're only delayin ur med schl process, but hey whatever floats ur boat:p

Hey you ****in# idiot, read the post more carefully before you shoot off a stupid answer like u just did. I said im applying this year and im also taking it in april so imprepared to apply again next summer in case i dont get in, with a better score. So since u obvoiusly cant read.. hopefully your not planning on being a doc.

go with Princeton, I only had to do about 2 hws before I was scoring 11s while daydreaming about other things. their stragies are really good. someone in my princeton class had nothing better to do than take kaplan at the same time and they said princeton was way better because their review materials and hw were much more indepth. it may also depend on your learning style too, but I would rather have too much info than a thin outline.

Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
Hey you ****in# idiot, read the post more carefully before you shoot off a stupid answer like u just did. I said im applying this year and im also taking it in april so imprepared to apply again next summer in case i dont get in, with a better score. So since u obvoiusly cant read.. hopefully your not planning on being a doc.

I dont think it's your score thats keeping you out.......

Maybe you haven't been accepted yet because the adcoms have come to the realization that you may be "too cool" for the rest of the med students. Dude grow up.

Dr. Wallstreet, you are obviously a ***** and socially maladjusted. You screwed up the MCAT twice, and people with your attitude will manage to consistently mess it up. Dont even bother retaking the MCAT, you are going to just fail again. And even if you do improve your score by 1 point, your attitude will keep you out.

Worst of luck to you Dr. Wallstreet. May patients never have to deal with your ignorance and attitude.

Originally posted by AegisZero
Dr. Wallstreet, you are obviously a ***** and socially maladjusted. You screwed up the MCAT twice, and people with your attitude will manage to consistently mess it up. Dont even bother retaking the MCAT, you are going to just fail again. And even if you do improve your score by 1 point, your attitude will keep you out.

Worst of luck to you Dr. Wallstreet. May patients never have to deal with your ignorance and attitude.

Gotta lvoe these fuc#ups that cnat read! man oh man its hard to belive soo many premeds cant read and comprend simple english :laugh:

i am not taking sides here, but i dont think u guys should resort to wishing people bad luck, no offense or anything but that shows one's level of maturity :rolleyes:

Hey,
I noticed you said you're doing verbal practices and reading novels. I'd suggest reading journal articles also or instead of novels if you're pressed for time. Get some journals on unfamiliar subjects; I stocked up on art and philosophy ones. It forces you to read new and different material, which is what they throw at you on the mcat (anybody else get the august passage about the kangaroo using it's tail as a 5th leg, i thought that was hilarious). I don't see anything wrong with going a 3rd round if you think you call pull the score up. I had people tell me I was foolish to do it twice, my score went up 7 points, I went from sub-par applicant to competitive. Good luck!

Resortin to cursing, shows a lack of intelligence, which makes for a lousy doctor. So how about u shove it back where it came from, either that or back up your a$$, cause it really does stink :rolleyes: Goodness, u must have time for all this, here is another case where scores definitely dont equate intelligence

originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
Gotta lvoe these fuc#ups that cnat read! man oh man its hard to belive soo many premeds cant read and comprend simple english

ummm....I don't think its such a good idea to say that, considering you only got an "8" in Verbal Reasoning :confused: , and thats the reason you're retaking it for the third time....

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by siempre595
anybody else get the august passage about the kangaroo using it's tail as a 5th leg, i thought that was hilarious) Good luck!

Yup, I had that passage. All I have to say about it is, *&%*@!@$@#!!! It was a 10 question passage too! :mad:

Originally posted by medhopefully

Gotta lvoe these fuc#ups that cnat read! man oh man its hard to belive soo many premeds cant read and comprend simple english

ummm....I don't think its such a good idea to say that, considering you only got an "8" in Verbal Reasoning :confused: , and thats the reason you're retaking it for the third time....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clap:

Originally posted by medhopefully

YES! Just what I was thinking! Dr WallStreet's posts often blur the boundaries of "simple english" (sic). A chore to read, a mystery to "comprend" (sic) as he so eloquently put it!