ok, anyone work for America's best before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeod2583

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok i am trying to get some advice here, not start a royal rumble. Anyone work for America's Best before? I know they give you an excellent starting salary, but you have to see ~40 patients an hour (thats what I heard). Can anyone share their experiences as a doctor working for this company? Good or bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok i am trying to get some advice here, not start a royal rumble. Anyone work for America's Best before? I know they give you an excellent starting salary, but you have to see ~40 patients an hour (thats what I heard). Can anyone share their experiences as a doctor working for this company? Good or bad?

Of all the horrible commercial joints out there, American's Best if BY FAR AND AWAY THE ABSOLUTE WORST AND THE ABSOLUTE POND SCUM OF THE PROFESSION.

I would sooner leave optometry than work there.

Of all the horrible commercial joints out there, American's Best if BY FAR AND AWAY THE ABSOLUTE WORST AND THE ABSOLUTE POND SCUM OF THE PROFESSION.

lol. note to self, point taken. Any reasons why? I just read a complaint board that was a mile long. Looks like they don't even give a crap for their patients. Any any other reasons for you KHE (although that in itself is a huge one)
?

Members don't see this ad :)
America's best is a retail company that removes virtually all elements of healthcare from an "eye exam" by reducing it to a mere refractive eval. You will be employed to provide tech work for their optical salesmen. You will pump out refractions and ignore everything else. You will not be acting in people's best interest. You will forget most of what you learned in school, and your skills will wither away. You will learn the wrong way to provide eyecare, and will learn bad habits. You will become less and less marketable to anyone (except other shiithole corporate opticals), and if by some miracle you decide to open your own practice, you will be lost and have a hard time changing your mindset. You will get dumber. You will cease to be a doctor.

America's Best is the WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is coming from a recent graduate. Friends dont let friends work at America's Best or NVI (national vision inc.).

Horrible company that has no respect for optometrists and the eyecare industry. They dangle a small 100k salary to attract all those new graduates. You see >40 patients and walkins. Dilation...yea right.

They treat the patients even worse. $69 for 2 pairs of eye glasses and a free eye exam? Wait..you're >-3.00 myopia... extra charge... your doctor 'prescribed polycarbonate lenses'...extra charge... anti scratch coating...extra charge... want to look at our signature collection...extra charge... your $69 turns into $300. Bait and switch tactic company. Most consumers go there once and never return back.

:thumbdown:

I have done fill-in work for a National Vision store, and after just one day I wanted to slit my wrists. And that's when a relative was the office manager--I told her how I run my schedule and so they went along with it. It was educational, at least. I'll take my meager earnings along with my ethical standards. Made me thankful for my work situation, even though even that isn't ideal. My cousin doesn't work there anymore...no reason to help her out...no reason to make myself miserable for even a day. I won't be filling in there anymore.

But I want to know what socal2014 has to say?

lol. note to self, point taken. Any reasons why? I just read a complaint board that was a mile long. Looks like they don't even give a crap for their patients. Any any other reasons for you KHE (although that in itself is a huge one)
?

This is from an insider:

Pros: Starting at $100K+, full benefits, 401K, optional Flex spending account, all paid holidays, paid annual CE conference (they had Drs. Thomas & Melton last year for 3 days).

Cons: LONG grueling hours (930-630pm), loose assesment/plan skills with many diseases that can not be monitored in a retail setting, mostly undilated exams further dampening your skills and bringing you closer to a lawsuit for missing something, sign an agreement to see maximum 50 patients, and more importantly they have a plan called "The Club" for $99 it includes 3 years of FREE EXAMS and FREE RED EYE EVALUATIONS!

All in all, its a patients dream and a doctor's nightmare! :eek:

The pros are good but your $100K will get burned out fast and then you'll see the reality of it for what it is; an optical mill that ruins our profession.

I hope you find a better alternative, as I know its tough for new grads out there.

Last edited:
This is from an insider:

Pros: Starting at $100K+, full benefits, 401K, optional Flex spending account, all paid holidays, paid annual CE conference (they had Drs. Thomas & Melton last year for 3 days).

Cons: LONG grueling hours (930-630pm), loose assesment/plan skills with many diseases that can not be monitored in a retail setting, mostly undilated exams further dampening your skills and bringing you closer to a lawsuit for missing something, sign an agreement to see maximum 50 patients, and more importantly they have a plan called "The Club" for $99 it includes 3 years of FREE EXAMS and FREE RED EYE EVALUATIONS!

The pros are good but your $100K will get burned out fast and then you'll see the reality of it for what it is; an optical mill that ruins our profession.

I hope you find a better alternative, as I know its tough for new grads out there.

As bad as it sounds, I'd rather work for Americas so called BEST, than work for some greedy private practitioner.

Those great PP opportunities are dwindling down to the point of extinction...get on the corporate ladder while you can folks! But I would agree to avoid retail chains like sams club/americas best etc etc.....Walmart is where its at.

On the other hand, PP docs could learn from Americas Best. $99 for 3 free eye exams, every 2 years isn't so bad, when you consider the optical profits generated per new prescription...but obviously that would question the ethics of the doc, which I am sure AB cares nothing about.

As bad as it sounds, I'd rather work for Americas so called BEST, than work for some greedy private practitioner.

Those great PP opportunities are dwindling down to the point of extinction...get on the corporate ladder while you can folks! But I would agree to avoid retail chains like sams club/americas best etc etc.....Walmart is where its at.

On the other hand, PP docs could learn from Americas Best. $99 for 3 free eye exams, every 2 years isn't so bad, when you consider the optical profits generated per new prescription...but obviously that would question the ethics of the doc, which I am sure AB cares nothing about.

Are you even in optometry school?

And there we have it folks!

This is from an insider:

I don't think I could make it through a single day in that setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I could make it through a single day in that setting.

Yeah, many don't last. They prey on new grads and take advantage of them for as long as they can until they break; and then the cycle keeps turning.

The benefits do look nice, but at what expense? Dwindling diagnostic skills? Getting disrespect from an optician or in some cases a GED graduate who is your manager! :eek:

he's not. And he sounds like he has so much experience in the field. It's funny, do a search on him and see all the threads he has started. Last year, he was asking REALLY stupid questions. LMAO.

I don't know how to tell people that come to me for advice after going to America's Best for an eye exam. Really? How do you tell a friend "America's Best is HORRIBLE" without actually saying it?

Whenever I tell someone that's cheap (that's how they got there in the first place, right) that America's Best is horrible, it's from the OD's POV. Patients don't care about their ocular health when they go there. They just want their 3 years supply of Vistikon lenses + eye exams for only $250!!!

I'll say "They don't have enough time to spend with you to get through all that they need to" but really.. those patients could care less. The faster, the better. The cheaper, the better. Hey, they walk out of there with the same results as they walk out of a PP office. They can "see".....

i absolutely agree America's Best is pretty bad. As long as you can see the E your done. AUtorefractor and done. I am currently working for NVI and it doesnt seem as bad as what others think (not america's best). We do see a lot of patients but most of them with issues i spend bout 25-30 mins to give them a comprehensive exam for the low income people. As a doctor it is not your technican that controls the patient flow, if patients wants a fast exam they just leave my office, for people that see what i do, they usually have no complaints and would wait as long as they can to be seen. The majority of my patients would say nothing even if they wait for an hr plus. For those that complain, they either leave or wait to be seen. We cant please everyone, as long as we know we provided the best possible care for each and everyone thats all we can hope for.

This is from an insider:

I don't see the problem with how America's Best operates if you let me explain (before exploding). No student goes to school hoping that they will work for corporate, let alone America's Best. When you graduate, you start looking for jobs and find that the pay is not commensurate with what you are told to expect. You find that America's Best pays the most, but it also operates in a borderline unethical fashion. However, as a debt riddled student what options do you have? Yes, I understand that money is not the only reason you practice optometry, but a lot (not all) of the optometrists who post on this forum have less debt than current graduating optometrists.
So i face the prospect of being saddled with debt for the next 25 years, working for a more respectable institution and "saving" my clinical skills (more importantly treating my patients properly) vs. paying off my bills and surviving in an increasingly harsh economic climate (but pushing patients through the door as fast as i can). If you do get tired of this gig you will end up ditching it within 1-2 years, BUT you will be in a better financial situation to take control of opening a practice on your own. With the other open days you have, hopefully you would take some time to learn how to run a practice through careful study (optometric managment, other resources) and learn to cope with your bad habits. Maybe I am too optimistic on this front, or maybe I hope to plan better than others.....

In regards to the last post by the original inquirer....

The point that you laid out is a VERY valid one; that being that working for them will improve your financial situation. I was a recent grad with a residency and chose to work corporate for my 1st job (CostCo, which had just changed from being called "priceclub") due to my financial situation, among family needs (had an elderly family member to care for - I was the closest one). I am now (that was 12 years ago) a private practitioner, and while there were much better offers for me at the time that would have taken me away from that location, I am better off now as a doctor and especially as a businessperson because of my time there.

With this said, a big reason why it did me so much good was because of the responsibility I was given. I have no idea how it is run now, but back then I was allowed to receive a large cut from both sides of the business. It was not a fixed salary, and this put a lot of pressure on me to see as many pt's as I could. In that particular company, similar to Wal-mart's model, the optical exists primarily as one more reason for people to come into the store. The oversight was not that strong, and I was allowed to do, within reason, whatever I wanted. Also, my support staff was next to nothing, so I was left to do a lot of billing, ordering, recalls, etc on my own. I received a little crash course in EVERY aspect of optometry, and it provided a template for how NOT to run my places now.

The problem in working for America's Best, or a few others that are the same model, is that you do not receive any of this. You are simply a refraction machine, and are required by law to write their Rx's before they pocket the optical money....so yes, you will get paid well, but most private practitioners, myself included, will not misconstrue 2 years of phoropter work for being "experienced"...for this reason, your financial situation in the short term will be markedly better than someone that takes a more "prestigious" job, but your long-term competitiveness MAY be hurt. This of course will depend on where you want to go, the cash you have saved, and the relationships you have forged...

But all in all, places like America's Best are the Goliaths of the model for optometry that I hate. I once saw a guy that had been to a similar lens mill only 3 weeks prior to coming to my office with a CC that screamed of amaurosis fugax and CRAO ("I go blind for a min or two sometimes lately")...turns out he had a calcific (cardiac origin! NOT good!) emboli he'd been walking around with. It made me want to cry...so yes, to me, they operate on the "pond scum of the profession" model that I despise. I guess that sometimes, before you can really hate the Goliath, you have to see its house first :ninja:.

My goodness... reading about this makes me sad. You guys have it bad with these retail giants.

I have a question regarding America's Best. Some states such as Florida will not allow an OD to work for a corporation. They need a separate entrance and can not get kick backs from the glasses. How does AB get around this? Is there an ophthalmologist or an OD who signs the lease. Where does the paycheck come from? Who signs the OD's paycheck. Thanks.

I have a question regarding America's Best. Some states such as Florida will not allow an OD to work for a corporation. They need a separate entrance and can not get kick backs from the glasses. How does AB get around this? Is there an ophthalmologist or an OD who signs the lease. Where does the paycheck come from? Who signs the OD's paycheck. Thanks.

It's a valid question, but I'd forget about it since you're talking about an "optometric" entity that is analogous to a pile of old, fly-infested, semi-dried up llama feces, laying in the hot sun on a some grassy hillside. They are the epitome of all that is wrong with optometry right now. Even though I loathe my current position as a commercial OD, my situation is infinitely better than any OD at AB. I'd take a job as a gloveless livestock inseminator before I'd work for that scum pit. But let me tell you how I really feel......

It's a valid question, but I'd forget about it since you're talking about an "optometric" entity that is analogous to a pile of old, fly-infested, semi-dried up llama feces, laying in the hot sun on a some grassy hillside. They are the epitome of all that is wrong with optometry right now. Even though I loathe my current position as a commercial OD, my situation is infinitely better than any OD at AB. I'd take a job as a gloveless livestock inseminator before I'd work for that scum pit. But let me tell you how I really feel......

Thanks for the rant Jason but that doesn't answer the poster's question.

The need for a separate entrance is immaterial. In essence, what AB and other corporations do is they lease the space in the store to the OD and then the OD runs the office part as, at least in theory, their own independent office.

Of course, you're never really independent.

Thanks for the rant Jason but that doesn't answer the poster's question.

The need for a separate entrance is immaterial. In essence, what AB and other corporations do is they lease the space in the store to the OD and then the OD runs the office part as, at least in theory, their own independent office.

Of course, you're never really independent.

You're very welcome, but you actually didn't answer the question either.;) The post asked about who actually signs the OD paycheck. If you look at NVI's job listings, they list a base salary in states like FL which, theoretically, do not allow such an arrangement. I think that's what he was getting at, although I could be wrong. I don't know the answer to his question, but as I see it, there's never a good reason to avoid spreading negativity about National Vision.

In the state of New Jersey (which is a two-door state), an OMD has a contract with America’s Best and technically he/she is the person who hires ODs and signs their paychecks.

That makes sense. I think the confusion stems from the fact that the advertised positions usually give the appearance that they pay a salary with benefits from National Vision. It might just be that the postings are generic and not based on the true nature of the position. I'm sure they're not overly concerned with truth in their advertising.

In the state of New Jersey (which is a two-door state), an OMD has a contract with America’s Best and technically he/she is the person who hires ODs and signs their paychecks.

The issue of "two door state" is not relevant though. The issue is whether an OD can be employed directly by the corporation or not.

The issue of "two door state" is not relevant though. The issue is whether an OD can be employed directly by the corporation or not.

My understanding was that he was indicating that the OMD, in this case, would be the hiring entity and he/she would be a leaseholder. It looks like that's the case based on the clipped FL job posting below. It's quite deceiving because the headline of the post (not shown) implies that it's a corporate-paid position. The asterisk at the bottom of the posting says it all......

America's Worst Job Posting said:
Description
We offer generous, guaranteed base salaries, plus full benefits that include: Medical & Dental Insurance, Retirement Plan With Matching, Paid Vacation Time, PTO (Paid Time Off), Holidays, Flexible Spending, Direct Deposit, Continuing Education, Life & Disability Insurance.

We are committed to provide the highest quality in patient care. We are looking for candidates that are dependable, caring, doctors with an excellent chair side manner to ensure the utmost patient care. Our offices have full trained staffs, as well as VA technicians, to assist you in delivering quality eye care.
National Vision’s brands are part of the value segment of retail optometry and there is a steady flow of patients. In order to control this patient volume America’s Best employees numerous associates in each store trained in caring for the patients before and after they see the doctor. Thus our store design and staff training enable the doctor to examine numerous patients each hour.

The hours of the store are 9:30 to 6:30 during the week and 9:30 to 5:30 on the Saturday. The days off for the doctor are Wednesday and Sundays.

Let me know if you are interested and we can set up a meeting.

Please see more information about our company at www.NVIOPTOMETRY.com

Thanks,

Britt

*** Doctor employed by: N. Elgut MD and Associates, LLC

It is my understanding that there are only 8 states where an OD can work for a corporation and Florida is not one of them.

It is my understanding that there are only 8 states where an OD can work for a corporation and Florida is not one of them.

I don't want to get into semantics here.

What I'm trying to say is that one door/two door state is not what determines whether an OD can be employed by a corporation or not.

Don't assume because a state is a two door state that that offers you any more real independence or immunity from the corporate overlord than it would in a one door state.

This is exactly how its done. An MD creates an LLC company, which NVI then contracts with to hire docs. So you work for the LLC which is contracted by NVI.

Our profession has not done enough to fight this. They seem more interested in getting laser & lump&bump privileges. Meanwhile, the profession is being swallowed whole by these corporate scum....

tony198793 said:
jie1.jpg

jie2.jpg

jie4.jpg

Apparently, you need help with quotes so....

Jason K said:
It might just be that the postings are generic and not based on the true nature of the position. I'm sure they're not overly concerned with truth in their advertising.

I don't know what your links are since they don't come through, but I'm assuming you're attempting to show some nonsense about how well America's Best can pay. America's Best is not optometry. You're an OD who is a paid refracting slave. I don't know a single person who's been able to work there for more than a year.

If you're going into optometry based on the salary quotes from places like Sterling and America's Best - god help you.

Apparently, you need help with quotes so....

I don't know what your links are since they don't come through, but I'm assuming you're attempting to show some nonsense about how well America's Best can pay. America's Best is not optometry. You're an OD who is a paid refracting slave. I don't know a single person who's been able to work there for more than a year.

If you're going into optometry based on the salary quotes from places like Sterling and America's Best - god help you.

since you are in the chicago area, you should have heard of sarah, who has worked for americas best since 2005 and recruits ods by tricking them

since you are in the chicago area, you should have heard of sarah, who has worked for americas best since 2005 and recruits ods by tricking them

I'm actually not in the Chicago area. However, last year, I mistakenly walked by the America's Worst booth at the Academy meeting in San Francisco and I was concerned I may have contracted a new form of herpes from the incidental exposure. It was pretty pathetic. The "reps" were standing there like two fat girls with fishnet stockings and too much makeup on at the high school dance. No one was talking to them. They take the award for the absolute worst that optometry has to offer - on all levels.

Last edited:
I've worked as a sublessor for National Vision for years ... not America's Best ... but one of their smaller chains.

The people who recruit the docs are the same people for ALL the chains. In short, they're sociopathic. No concern for fellow man. No respect whatsoever for the doctors. Optometrists are expendable.

I could relate so many stories ... you could probably dig up some of my old posts for them. I won't repeat the sad stories and horrible experiences I've gone through.

I've also learned that, despite 15 years experience as an OD, that because I've worked commercial most of my career, that the private OD's won't hire me.

What they don't know is that, at the behest of National Vision, I did one-hour eye exams with dilation and threshold visual fields ... for a mere 50 dollars because National Vision froze my prices in 2008 when the economy tanked. I did GOOD work there! I am a good doctor.

I say behest because National Vision told me to do more exams per day and I ignored them. I was in a small town and in one of their smaller chains and the DM was a drunk and easy to defy.

It'll not be a plus on your resume to say you worked at America's Best ... the absolute bottom of the food chain. I think companies like that should be illegal. Maybe if Zurich, basically the only insurance company in the US who will insure OD's, really investigated these chains, they'd see a HUGE risk and maybe if Zurich declined insurance for OD's who work for these refraction mills, then maybe no OD's would ever work for them!!!

Plus, some private health insurers, if they knew the quality of work that was being billed as 92004, they'd decline coverage for OD's who work in such locations. As much as I despise VSP for other reasons irrelevant to this threat, I have to give them credit ... they were RIGHT to refuse payment to OD's who don't own the optical. Other insurers would be wise to follow suit.

Actually, with the coming HITECH Act, such circumstances are a possiblity. The EHR's REQUIRE certain questions, history of present illness, certain tests for an exam to qualify for "meaningful use." The new EHR's actually code the exam for you depending on the quality of your patient history and tests you perform and the follow-up and treatment schedule. If someone is just doing a refraction, that will not go unnoticed. EHR will soon be required. No way of getting around that elephant. So ... come 2015 ... the OD's doing junk exams will be penalized by Medicare! HA!

Soon, fellow OD's, you'll actually have to do a comprehensive eye exam to get paid for it! No more cutting corners. No more fudging the numbers. EHR programs don't leave you with any room for cheating.

OOPS! You caught me mono-logging! (I watched The Incredibles last night).

My point is ... working for America's Best, my young OD's, is career suicide.

If you insist on working commercial, look to one of the smaller chains. No private practice DOC will hire someone who's worked for America's Best. I know I wouldn't. And I am now going into private practice, finally! If I were looking for an associate ... some years down the road, if I got a resume from an OD listing America's Best as a practice location (other than occasional fill-in) I'd throw it in the shredding bin.

What is your logic for not hiring an OD who has worked for Americas Best?

What about OD's who have worked for Walmart, Lenscrafters, etc? Basically, all corporate/commercial entities.

What about graduates from new schools?

What is your logic for not hiring an OD who has worked for Americas Best?

What about OD's who have worked for Walmart, Lenscrafters, etc? Basically, all corporate/commercial entities.

What about graduates from new schools?

I would not hire an OD who was employed or leased from (other than part-time fill in because that's usually done out of a desperation for $$$) and America's Best IN PARTICULAR because after they've worked in such a location they're a ruined OD. America's Best has ruined many OD's because that doctor is no longer a doctor working for them. America's Best has the WORST reputation amongst all of the chains.

I mean ... requiring you to see a maximum of 50 patients a day???? Come on! If you're an OD willing to sign such a contract, that tells me that you're willing to sell out your patient to make a quick buck, that you're willing to sacrifice ALL of your training to make a quick buck, that you have no respect for the value of your patient's quality of life, and that you're willing to sell out your professionial colleagues who work their a*s off in order to provide real eye exams! Plus, they make OD's look like dumb oxes in the eyes of our MD colleagues.

If any OD were willing to sign such a contract at any time for any reason that tells me that person has no integrity, no morals and would be a liability, not an asset to my practice.

Now, part-time fill in OD's at such locations are different because they're private contractors that are working for the leasing OD. They haven't agreed to the faustian contract and in most circumstances are victims themselves. The leasing OD or the OD actually employed by America's best have no excuse. In my eyes, they are no longer real optometrists. There is NO WAY an OD could provide quality comprehensive eye exams in an environment where they have to see anything more than 20 patients per day (and that's will tech support - at least 2 tech's and an receptionist for that capacity).

As for the smaller chains ... the corporations don't have their thumb on them quite as much. I was able to get away with 1 hour exams for along time at rural locations. Busier places I got away with 45 min per exam. The locations were too small to have a receptionist or tech, so I did it all myself.

The JC Penney locations seemed OK. I'd interviewed with them.

Sears used to be wonderful to work for, but they've gone downhill and have adapted a more National-Vision like model since they were bought out by Luxottica.

I'd hire an OD that worked as a leasing OD at a Vista, Sterling, JC Penney, Sears. possibly Eyeworks or Binyon's (they're going downhill a lot though and I'd have to research in what capacity they were employed), Lens-Crafters (I'd have to do some research on their particular location and the particulars of how they practiced prior), Wal-Mart (again, I'd want to know how fast they were doing their exams) but NEVER would I in a million years hire an OD who had leased from an America's Best (WORST!!). Never.

Truth be known, all the older ODs HATE HATE HATE America's Best for all the aforementioned reasons.

Career suicide! If you did part-time fill in at an America's Best, I'd omit that from my resume. But just know that it's hard to hide the fact that you leased from a place though. We'd have to ask about the apparent gap in your CV employment history. Plus, we'd find out from your insurance credentialing applications or CAQH database.

Also, if you call your business a PC or LLC, we older OD's will look up the address of your business and find out where you practiced out of. Then cross reference it with the chain locations. A lot of OD's try to hide their association under another business name, but older OD's are smart enough to figure it out. We do background checks, now.

So, basically, if you start down this path from the beginning, you'll be stuck in commercial optometry FOREVER unless you start your own private practice.

And in my case, even though I'd worked the smaller chains, it's still scarred my reputation. If they won't hire me, they'd NEVER hire and AB doc. I opted to start my own private practice because no one will hire me. And it gonna be awesome!

Last edited:
I would hire a new graduate. Heck yeah. They're not ruined. Granted, they're inexperienced, but they'll be up to par with me within 2 years of practice. The biggest difference between new grads and experienced OD's is that the newbies tend to over-refer, and maybe over-test. But that's OK. Their referrals and ancillary tests are done out of humility and what they feel is best for the patient, not for themselves.

In fact, it's almost better to hire a new graduate because you can mentor them without facing obstacles of bad habits instilled by other entities.

Thanks for answering those questions :D

I have to say that I agree with your assessment.