OK ECs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by futuredoc14, May 15, 2007.

1. futuredoc14

2+ Year Member

I'm applying this summer, and I think I don't have good ECs.

Freshman year: Tutored high school students, a member of pre-med society, a member of a student organization, volunteered at Institute of Autism, research but a waste of time (thought I would write a paper but I was wrong)

Sophomore year: Volunteered at Thoracic Cardiovascular Post Operative Unit at the hospital 3 hours each week (assisted staff with administrative tasks in a chaotic environment and had moderate patient contact), vice president of a student organization, a member of pre-med society

Junior year: Volunteered at Surgical Intensive Care Unit 3 hours each week(interacting with patients and assisting staff with errands, high patient contact), president of a student organization, a member of pre-med society

I took classes every summer. I wanted to go to a summer program such as SMDEP or go on a medical trip, but they unfortunately conflicted with other things I had to do. Are these ECs okay?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Which part is lacking?

4. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ditto this.

5. futuredoc14

2+ Year Member

I just feel that I don't have enough ECs.

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Looks good so far, except you don't mention physician contact. If you have had no shadowing experiences, try to get that in this summer, maybe via contacts you've made with docs in the Surgical Intensive Care. How long did you do research and what did it entail? Even though you did not write a paper (and many don't) it is a research experience. If it was 3 months long, and you can discuss your scholarly efforts in an interview, it may be sufficient if you don't intend to try for a research intensive med school. Some do no research and are still admitted. Research is not obligatory, but widens the range of schools you can apply to. Significant hobbies, paid employment, and honors are other categories to include in the AMCAS "Experience" category.

7. RowaH

2+ Year Member

Well, your volunteering EC is superb!

Can't say the same about research though (if research is considered an EC).

8. corbis11

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    quality over quantity

9. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I mean if it's quantity you're nervous about then don't be. In your app, it's how you spin your ECs. Some people will do amazing things like work as a corpsman in a frontline hospital in Iraq but everyone else will have ECs like you and me and nearly every other SDNer. It's all about how you present the significance of your work in your PS and in your secondaries and interviews.

The only thing I suggest is to get something more long-term--from now through your application season--since all your internships have been rather short. This can be anything you want it to be (e.g. clinical, research, community service), as long as you like it and as long as you're able to progress from a newbie to a contributor in the organization/project.

I don't think you necessarily need shadowing. Seems kinda... duty-less to me. All it entails is you standing and watching and that won't come off as impressive in a PS since you'll just be an observer.

Then again, I'm just an applicant and haven't been accepted so what do I know.