OK, here is the deal

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Katie, Aug 20, 2002.

1. about 2 weeks ago, I was very upset at the way I was being treated by certain members of SDN. Even the stuff that wasn't directed at me such as the stereotypes perpetrated by bitter, whiny men like Dr. Kevin that white women are sluts with loose vaginas as a result of their constant sexual activity (um, since when??) while all Asian women are tight and virginal really pissed me off and disgusted me (and one of my best friends in MD is Asian and she would not appreciate hearing this kind of garbage either). I understand that minorities in this country have a right to be pissed off at the way the media and society treats you, but that doesn't make it right to throw out unjust stereotypes against whites. My ancestors were not slave owners or Japanese relocation camp leaders or Nazis, but poor Irish people and Scandanavians who lost everything in the Great Depression and ended up living in North Dakota. Many of my relatives today are living up in Montana and are still very poor (welfare poor) and never went to college, including those in my generation. My parents are college and grad-school educated, but not exactly wealthy either, and my dad marched in several civil rights demonstrations at UCLA and was arrested once along with a close black friend for doing so. My mom taught poor high school kids in East LA who didn't speak much English. On the first day of school yesterday, I sat at a lunch table with 3 friends, 2 black and 1 1/2 Mexican females, while everyone else seemed to "stick to their own kind" and it really disturbed me. I am not super proud of doing this and don't mean to imply that it was special, but it didn't matter to me what race they were, I was going to sit with my friends. I know jerky people like kaos would probably say that I am throwing this information in people's face, but I just want people to know that you can't assume that just because someone is white that they are some horrible disgusting bigot who has had everything handed to them on a silver platter.

That being said, I feel that the best solution for me is not necessarily to leave SDN altogether as I said before, but to visit only the Allopathic and Residency forums for the most part since I will probably benefit the most from those. I will check the Pre-Allo forum on occasion and answer ONLY threads on Tufts and other schools at which I interviewed. I will also respond to PM's with ONLY one or more the following schools included in the subject line: Tufts, SLU, Maryland, Penn State, MCP, NYMC. As for other schools, I am not trained as a pre-med advisor and feel that I will only get myself into trouble discussing them at length. You can go and ask Gower for help at medicalgold.com for questions about other schools, but be forewarned that he has not worked as an official advisor for a few years and that some of his information MAY be outdated (sorry, Gower, but most waitlist movement does NOT occur in August). I will no longer respond to messages about any other topics, yes, that includes any discussion on race, drugs, affirmative action, or abortion. Also, any messages from bobmarley77, kaos, racerx, drkevin40, and anyone else who has a rotten attitude will immediately be deleted. I hope this plan meets with everyone's satisfaction and wish most of you the very best of luck.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

She's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCKKK!!!! We love you, Katie!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

4. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :rolleyes:

Like I need advice from anybody THAT stuck up. But I do commend you for straightening out any preconceptions about what kind of background you've had. Also, the stuff people have been saying that you mentioned at the beginning of your post was just ridiculous. I can't believe you even pay any attention to it. But I haven't seen it, not since you left, at least.

5. Femtochemistry

Femtochemistry Skunk Works
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what does this have to do with anything pre-allo??

:confused:

I see your point though; right on sister!

I AM GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    funny kaite have you seen my thread? hee hee hee, i'm surprised that my name isn't on your list of evil...

seriously though katie, i think there is a line between being racist per se and being frivolous. Plus, I think it takes much greater courage to criticize your own race than defending it. Why are there stereotypes to begin with? It's not because sometimes people have prejudices...sometimes the stereotypes are true, and we must do something about it. of course an Asian MD would be easily disturbed if Asians women were derided. But would she be as disturbed if black women were? In fact, I know personally not a few Asian women who made out-and-out racist remarks about black people. so what do you say to that? huh?

Really the biggest thing that's causing the de facto racism is not the institution of racial prejudice, but deliberate censure from public debate. Blacks and Asians just have as much prejudice than whites, but we know so much less about it. The internet is the best place to rectify that censure, don't you think? I think once we get our opinions out and begin to understand what the facts are, that's when we could truly uproot racism in our society.

sean

7. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

if you're that sensitive to those member's bulls*hit then thats pretty sad.

congrats on not leaving but... on web forums, or the internet for that matter you should be used to that kind of cr*ap.

so in so many words just let me say.. suck it up.

8. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's what I'm saying! Not like I said anything to her in the first place, anyway, but then again, who cares...:rolleyes:

9. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i always found your posts quite informative :(

10. holler79

holler79 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ME too!! Way to set it straight girl!

11. Pickle Salt

Pickle Salt *curtsies*
    7+ Year Member

katie, you're a bit sensitive. You're gonna find this bullsh*t everywhere, including (and especially) in the medical field. Unfortunately, that's life. Just because there are some *******es who find the need to spread negative vibes doesn't mean ya can't ignore them. They're just looking to press your buttons.

12. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

eggs-actly..

keep your head up grrl!

13. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

isn't there an"ignore" button? :confused:

don't be afraid to use it... ;)

14. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

hey, i totally understand where she's coming from. i got into an argument with skip_intro a while back, and it drove me absolutely nuts. there are better things to do in life than read posts by people who are constantly attacking and saying obnoxious/rude things.

15. calbears84

calbears84 professional baller
    7+ Year Member

i understand why you are mad and totally agree with the things you said in your post. however, this world is full of discrimination and sterotypes. if you're going to get mad at everything people say, then you will have a pretty sorry life. keep in mind that you cannot control what comes out of other people's mouth, but you do have the ability to control what you think. let other people talk all they want and take anything that is harsh to the ears as a joke and laugh it off. you gotta learn how to live in this world with a sense of humor.

16. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm glad you're confident in knowing who you are. I just wish you were more comfortable about what other people say, even if it is directly against you.

I know it can get under your skin too, it's often a pride contest on this site and sometimes forums are full of arrogant people who don't watch what they say. but take that into consideration when you're reading these opinions.

I am worried that if you hear other things in the future that offend you, is running away how you deal with your problems? (AGAIN I DON'T KNOW YOU, just asking a question!) but if you plan to avoid entire forums so a person doesn't offend you, then what happens one day when an attending doctor pimps you and condescendingly corrects you. What about when a patient questions your ability as a medical student, or when you actually deserve to be 'humbled'.
    Words are sharp and they hurt. In James 3 it says,

"3When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. ...9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[1] water flow from the same spring?"

You can go about changing the world or running from it.
    It may not be right, but in this world, not every word you hear will be pleasing to you.

I'm sure you know this, you're in med school and you've gotten through life thus far. We all hope to be in your position next year, safe and secure that we will indeed be a doctor one day.
    I just wanted to write a little here to test out my new avatar. pretty cool huh? GO BLUE!

17. Focus

Focus crazy!!
    7+ Year Member

I don't want to call any of the above posters out but why does everyone see Katie's action as "running away," oh my goodness she can't take insults, you're too sensitive Katie you have to deal with this stuff in RL, blah blah blah. Save that stuff for the interviewer who you're trying to convince that you're some sort of hardcore no one can hurt my feelings type of person that will always be willing to help others no matter what. Please.

So maybe it's better to be able to put up with people who bother you in RL, but that's not the point of Katie's post.

The bottom line is that Katie, who is *already* in medical school, is helping others in the pre-allopathic forum on her OWN time. If you've been on SDN for awhile, you will notice that she has helped out many of us with her experience - even encouraging us to PM her should we have any questions on schools that she's familiar with. Of the many people on SDN last year, the ones in medical school now seldom comes back and post. (Jalby, Docotora Foxy, and a few more are some people who still comes back and help, but the majority are long gone from the pre-allopathic forum).

No one is making her help. She's doing it out of her own good nature.

If any of you were dedicating your time helping others for free and you did not enjoy it because of immature egoistic people, I highly doubt that you'd continue helping.

Don't judge Katie's action from one view point.

- Focus

18. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

well said, focus.

19. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

truly true!

Katie, I apologize for my suggestion that you were running away. You have a lot to offer for us, and I hope that you would realize that your opinions do matter.

I'm grateful for your giving sacrifice and attitude, and i hope you can brush off some of our unintended immaturity as simply that of application nerves.

20. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, I know that I'm one of those u're talking about. But look. She IS too sensitive. I mean, what about me? The reason why this all started was because I had a problem that I wanted to talk about in the forum, she responded in a manner I found to be rather offensive, and in the ensuing conflict (if it was large enough to even be called one), she "left."

I understand that she is doing things to "help" us by giving advice, etc. But she needs to know that I've never talked to her before, and I'm sorry that we got off on the wrong foot. She just came across to me as an arrogant know-it-all. But since apparently she isn't (as those of you who know her better have pointed out), I've moved on, and she needs to as well.