Ok...Here's the deal!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whynotme?

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK...I know another personal "do I have what it takes?" , but I just want some honest opinions
smile.gif

I just graduated with my Masters degree in Psychometry with a GPA of 3.96. My undergraduate work is in special education and my GPA is only a 3.1. I am just beginning to work on my prereqs, but I anticipate that I will do well...I have never had a problem with science. I have experience in Physical therapy as a technician and I worked as a volunteer for children with specialized medical problems. I am a 29 year old female (which could be a plus
smile.gif
) I am planning on some volunteer work, but also will be working full time and taking my prereqs! Does this sound like a well rounded individual or a complete idiot? Any opinions welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed you asked a question on another post about non-medical graduate degrees. No matter what, a 3.96 will get noticed, however, psychometry is pretty unconventional.
smile.gif
It will make you an interesting candidate (no doubt), but whether or not it will push you past a candidate with a gradute GPA of 3.9 in Biomedical sciences is unsure.

Working as a volunteer with children with special needs is a great extracurric. How long did you do this for? Are you still doing it? I have been told that if you do volunteer work for only a few months and then stop, then do some more volunteer work later at a different place, it won't look as good as if you stayed at one place for a long time.

By the way, you probably already know this, but if not, here it is: On many medical school's secondary, they give you the opportunity to list your employment (including hours per week) so that they can take the big picture into consideration. If you're working in physical therapy, that's medically relevant. (FYI. The dean of Admissions at the Medical College of Ohio is a MD in Physical Therapy and Rehab medicine, plus she's really really nice).

A 3.1 undergrad GPA seems a bit low but there's ways of remedying it if you're striving to be a serious candidate for medical school. If you're not interested in the post bacs (I know, I know, I've been totally trying to sell these post bacs, but they got me a whole lotta interviews), then a strong MCAT (like 33+) should make your academic credentials competitive.

Hey! I double posted this note...not on purpose,but because I couldn't remember if I actually submitted it or if I cleared it and thought that I would do it later ( I was running out the door to work
smile.gif

About your question...I worked in that position with children for 2 1/2 years. I started as a volunteer and eventually ran the program as the director (paid of course)
I am interested in a postbacc program, but very limited in my area. Do you know of any postbacc programs in the Southern Ga/ Northern FL area? I am also very limited on where I can apply to med school because of my family...any help would be appreciated and thanks for responding across the board to my questions! Guess I am totally concerned about the whole process
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you...that was extremely helpful.
smile.gif