Ok I know its been asked but I can't find the thread

cdngirl80

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Status
Ok so I really really wanted to apply to NYMC (cause there's no essay) and then now i can't cause i can't meet their LOR requirements (the science courses they mentionned I took those classes back in 1999-2000 so its not like I remember who those profs were let alone they remember me in a class of 500).

Anyways now i'm starting to worry about the other med schools I applied to because for the science LOR i've been using letters from the dept of Pharmacology because that's where I did my master's and I know those profs really well and know they will write me a really strong letter. So I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I've screwed myself over in considering that these people are "science LOR" (some of them are cross-appointed to another depts such as microbiology, neuroscience, and physiology) and in fact are not considered so and I now need to go find new LOR.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
id call and ask, but i think that you should be fine. Realistically, I bet you that the students they admit into NYMC are in humungous classes where the prof knows you as a number, situations in which the LORs you have now are just fine. I cant imagine any school realistically requiring stringent LOR requisites and admitting only students who fulfill them. As long as your LOR writers write a strong one, it will be much better then getting a prof who barely knows you anyday of the week.

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
braluk said:
id call and ask, but i think that you should be fine. Realistically, I bet you that the students they admit into NYMC are in humungous classes where the prof knows you as a number, situations in which the LORs you have now are just fine. I cant imagine any school realistically requiring stringent LOR requisites and admitting only students who fulfill them. As long as your LOR writers write a strong one, it will be much better then getting a prof who barely knows you anyday of the week.

DOES nymc screen?

About the Ads
OP
C

cdngirl80

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Status
actually i just called them and they said they don't consider a pharmacology LOR to fulfill the science LOR and that I could use the letter to fulfill my non-science LOR. I also explained the whole situation of when i took the classes but because I graduate in 2003 and not one year earlier they said I have to make their requirements. My concern right now though is for future schools (and the ones i've submitted to) that just state they want science LOR if they would consider pharmacology as a science or is implied that science is supposed to bio, chem, or physicis.

About the Ads