FutureMD2014

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello Everyone!

I am going to be an undergraduate freshman at UNC-Chapel Hill this month...so yes obviously it is MUCH too early for me to even be here but I'm really want to have information on the following...

I plan to be a surgeon (100% sure...no ifs ands or buts...it's the only field in which I have had an experience in since I shadowed surgeons) but more specifically I want to be a Pediatric surgeon because I love to help children

I wanted to know if anyone on this board has any information on becoming a pediatric surgeon...I know you have to do some kind of fellowship since It's a subspecialty but do I begin residency in general surgery first or residency in pediatrics first? how long does it take? and...how much will I plan to make (my family's only concern :sleep: ..blah I personally don't give a damn)

sorry for the questions but I think it's always good to know some information early :D

TxMed

SpottieOttieDopalicious
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Status
Medical Student
FutureMD2014 said:
Hello Everyone!

I am going to be an undergraduate freshman at UNC-Chapel Hill this month...so yes obviously it is MUCH too early for me to even be here but I'm really want to have information on the following...

I plan to be a surgeon (100% sure...no ifs ands or buts...it's the only field in which I have had an experience in since I shadowed surgeons) but more specifically I want to be a Pediatric surgeon because I love to help children

I wanted to know if anyone on this board has any information on becoming a pediatric surgeon...I know you have to do some kind of fellowship since It's a subspecialty but do I begin residency in general surgery first or residency in pediatrics first? how long does it take? and...how much will I plan to make (my family's only concern :sleep: ..blah I personally don't give a damn)

sorry for the questions but I think it's always good to know some information early :D
dude(tte)...slow down. for the moment you should be focused on killing gen. chem., bio, physics, organic, MCAT...etc... unc is no slouch school, so if you do well there you should have no problem getting into medical school. thinking about medical school and surgery too much will only take up precious time that you could be studying what is relevent to you right now (and having fun...b/c lemme tell you...college is AWESOME!). ..ok...sorry for the preaching. the answers to your original questions....

path to pediatric surgery...
4yrs undergrad
4yrs medschool
5yrs gen surg residency + 2yrs of research ((not required for all)...preferably relevent to pedi surg)
then you can apply for fellowships
it can get variable after this depending on what kind of peds surg you wanna do...
for peds ct...gotta do ct surg...then peds ct

as you see it can be a long process. pediatric surgeons are some of the most highly trained individuals in medicine. also...i have no clue what the exact numbers are on what they make...but you won't be poor.

tm

madtowngirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2002
in the hospital
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
100% sure huh? Its a little early to rule out other professions . . . especially since its the only field you've shadowed. There's tons of neat stuff within medicine, and its a little dangerous to come in so one-track minded. Makes it hard to get really interested in other stuff, and makes people roll their eyes at you a bit too.

Don't get me wrong though, peds surg is a neat field. I'm not sure if I like parents enough to go through with it though! :)

FutureMD2014 said:
Hello Everyone!

About the Ads

TxMed

SpottieOttieDopalicious
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Status
Medical Student
madtowngirl said:
100% sure huh? Its a little early to rule out other professions . . . especially since its the only field you've shadowed. There's tons of neat stuff within medicine, and its a little dangerous to come in so one-track minded. Makes it hard to get really interested in other stuff, and makes people roll their eyes at you a bit too.

Don't get me wrong though, peds surg is a neat field. I'm not sure if I like parents enough to go through with it though! :)
mtg is soooo right. there's a guy in my class who basically lives to be a surgeon and has said so since the first day of class. he qualifies his statements by saying "i just wanna preface this by saying that i want to be a surgeon..." and then he goes on to say something lame. its fine to enjoy something, but don't be a crazy gunner for it (being a sniper is ok). mtg is also right about your lack of experience. if you've only shadowed one specialty, how do you know that others are inferior (for you personally)? you sound bright...so don't sell yourself short by narrowing your sights just yet.

Miami_med

Moving Far Away
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Now the opposite of Miami
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My wife went to college wanting to be an OB/GYN (no ifs ands or buts) and ended up studying Classics and Anthropology. When I went to college, I knew that I didn't want to be a doctor. Keep an open mind.

OP
F

FutureMD2014

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I guess I made a very dramatized first impression haven't I? :p Thanks for all the input and I will keep an open mind in the next few years :D But I know that I do want to be a doctor (I just can't imagine doing anything else hehe) I'm so excited for what's to come! I'm leaving in 13 days YAY! hehe

ghost_its

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2006
somewhere east of the Mississippi
Status
Resident [Any Field]
FutureMD2014 said:
I guess I made a very dramatized first impression haven't I? :p Thanks for all the input and I will keep an open mind in the next few years :D But I know that I do want to be a doctor (I just can't imagine doing anything else hehe) I'm so excited for what's to come! I'm leaving in 13 days YAY! hehe

good luck, have fun, there'll be plenty of time to work your butt off, TRUST US :) Enjoy college, learn about different things, this is the best time to do it. Travel, see the world, go on a Spring Break trip to London, whatever else hits you... Then if you still wanna do this medicine/surgery thing, you'll know where to find us :)

Lots of luck to ya

sscooterguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
TxMed is right on. To get into Peds Surg, it is VERY competative. There are of course exceptions, but most likely you will have to go to a top academic surgery program, which WILL be 6 years minimum, very possibly 7 years (as mentioned 5+ 1 or 2 years research). Then you apply for 50 or so incredibly competative peds surg fellowship spots. Then further specializing as mentioned.

Have no doubt, this is a long arduous road. I can't give specifics about what they make either, I'm sure they can be rich, but I suspect they will make much less than private practice surgeons in other specialties. Peds surgeons are almost exclusively based out of academic Children's hospitals, and peds in general does not get imbursed as well as other specialties.

Everyone's advice has been good so far. Think about these things before you are all gung ho about it. My own desire to become an orthopaedic surgeon is constantly being tested as my life changes. Keep an open mind.

sscooterguy

Dunce

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Good advice above, but here a few more quick points:

1. Rock your classes and tests.

2. Do NOT take all science classes. You will not be well rounded and will miss out on a ton of great learning. Pretend you are at a liberal arts school and mix it up some. You will thank me in the longrun for this advice.

3. Have fun while you can.

4. Keep getting experience in medicine. If you want to continue with the surgery stuff go for it. I would also suggest some shadowing or volunteer work in other areas of medicine also. Pick something that you think might be cool and just check it out. You don't have to like it, but it's good to get a broad impression of medicine before knowing exactly what you want to go into and why you want to do it.

5. Come back in two decades and revive this thread to tell us how you're doing in peds surg if that's what you do end up in. . . . that's right . .I said two decades!!!

automaton

drone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2004
assembly line
Status
it's funny that a lot of the gung ho surgeon wannabes in my class are turning to lifestyle fields now that it's time to commit to a specialty on ERAS. now it's suddenly all about radiology, anesthesia, EM, etc. anyway, peds surg is a cool field but as a recent high school graduate you probably don't appreciate what it takes to get there. it's a lot of commitment that frankly not very many people are willing to make. it's easy to be 100% certain at this point. as others said, keep an open mind. there are many specialties out there, and there are other things to think about than doing something "cool". in fact, do you really even need to go into medicine? i would use college to explore all the options out there. maybe you are meant for law, politics, engineering, journalism, etc... good luck.

Blake

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
automaton said:
it's funny that a lot of the gung ho surgeon wannabes in my class are turning to lifestyle fields now that it's time to commit to a specialty on ERAS.
Really ? I've got a limited experience, but pretty much all the upper-class gung hoes I know went into their initially-desired surgical fields.

TxMed

SpottieOttieDopalicious
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Blake said:
Really ? I've got a limited experience, but pretty much all the upper-class gung hoes I know went into their initially-desired surgical fields.

alot of those people ( i know quite a few) have parents in a specific field and have been taught that if you are not in that field than you're not a real doctor. seriously...i promise you i heard it come out of an orthopod's mouth when i was at dinner with him and his son (my classmate)

Blake

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
TxMed said:
alot of those people ( i know quite a few) have parents in a specific field and have been taught that if you are not in that field than you're not a real doctor. seriously...i promise you i heard it come out of an orthopod's mouth when i was at dinner with him and his son (my classmate)
I guess it's true though, my most recent example is the son of a ENT guy, and he's now a PGY-1 in this field. Dreamed of it since he was a kid... I guessed statistically-wise, I should have been born in a surgeon family (I want to make it there in the end. I'm probably gung ho too, but I rarely talk about it) ;)

Lebesgue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
FutureMD2014 said:
Hello Everyone!

The only information you need right now is the syllabus for each of your classes, how to get A's, how to have as much fun as possible and still get A's, where you might travel over the summer, and maybe (maybe!) find a surgeon doing some research and see if you can help out.

Work hard always!!! Life will work itself out.

If you're still interested after all the time that will pass between now and then, if you've worked hard the whole time you'll be in a good position to do what you want.

If you change your mind 30 times, no big deal, it will probably happen...

Good luck, and relax.

:)

Plastikos

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2005
Sunny SoCal
Status
Attending Physician
I had exactly zero experience outside of my own/families medical visits with medicine at all before med school, and i knew i was going to be a surgeon with 100% conviction. I didnt need to qualify everything i said or did, it was just something i knew. Sometimes you know where your likely to fit in, a gut feeling or whatever, i dont necessarily think theres anything wrong with that at all. Though i did try to picture myself in radiology very very hard, but couldnt stand it.
I didnt know i was going to be a plastic surgeon, but i knew the big difference-surgery vs. medicine.

B

Blade28

Agreed that you should keep your mind open. Focus on doing well in college, but have a well-rounded experience - college is a great time!

You still have a LONG time until deciding all this...

3 years until applying to med school
7 years until applying to residency
14 years until applying for a peds surg fellowship!!! :eek:

BTW, I knew I wanted to go into surgery when I was 18 also - maybe not 100%, but damn near close! :thumbup:

OP
F

FutureMD2014

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks for the advice everyone! :D :) It's so cool to hear everyone's experiences...if you all have more to share..keep it coming haha! :D

Unfortunately, right now I am dealing with a class registration process...because I'm out of state and have to go to the last orientation...practically all the classes that I want to take are full (even electives!)..and now I'm praying for someone to drop

no love for us out of staters I guess...but I'll remain optimistic :)

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I applaud your desire and I truly hope you stick to your intended career path.

Take things one step at a time. I think when I was in your shoes I was more concerned with relations with the fairer sex than what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Stay strong, study hard, party harder and dont lose sight of your goals.

Knight_MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2006
Status
Medical Student
When I was a freshman, I was 100% sure I won't do/like/consider surgery, ever.
It's the complete opposite now.

Like a previous poster said, u should be thinking about totally different issues ;)

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
That was me as well - I believed all the nasty things you hear about surgeons. It wasn't until 3rd year when I actually did it (and stood around for hours a day on IM rounds), that I discovered it was pretty fun. Never make up your mind early - you never know (and you look like an **& if you change your mind later).

About the Ads