OK I seriously wanted to know this....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which is most Christian friendly? Which ostracizes them?

Cornell

MSSM

NYMC

Columbia

NYU

Vandy

Wake

Duke (probably not from what I read on other threads)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey PD.

Though I may not agree with your views, I think it's everyone's prerogative to try to figure out where they would be most comfortable for med school.

Most of the schools you named tend to be liberal schools (Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Duke). However, this doesn't mean that they're not Fundamentalist Christian-friendly. A good place to start might be by perusing their student groups and seeing which ones have a "Christian Students' Association" or something similar. Out of the ones you named, I'd guess vandy and wake forest, but that's not due to any particular knowledge, but just by guessing due to their location in the bible belt (though, as Duke is ample evidence of, being in the bible belt doesn't necessarily mean anything).

Depends what u mean by chrisitan friendly?

lightnk102 said:
Hey PD.

Though I may not agree with your views, I think it's everyone's prerogative to try to figure out where they would be most comfortable for med school.

Most of the schools you named tend to be liberal schools (Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Duke). However, this doesn't mean that they're not Fundamentalist Christian-friendly. A good place to start might be by perusing their student groups and seeing which ones have a "Christian Students' Association" or something similar. Out of the ones you named, I'd guess vandy and wake forest, but that's not due to any particular knowledge, but just by guessing due to their location in the bible belt (though, as Duke is ample evidence of, being in the bible belt doesn't necessarily mean anything).

thanks, I'd agree with that also due to location; but i was wondering if anyone personally knew any specifics about any of the schools from experience or if anyone had friends at any of the schools

Bigsheed920 said:
Depends what u mean by chrisitan friendly?

acceptable, not bashing, doesn't call them *****s or claim they don't know how to reason, doesn't bash the Bible or those who read it...you know, the typical issues...

Vanderbilt is very Christian-friendly. Not to say it's not friendly to other people, but there is a very active Medical Christian Outreach, a large portion of the class who attends church regularly, and open discussion of religion among students (and even mention of God quite often in lecture). Shocks some Northeasterners, but is home to most of the class.

Psycho Doctor said:
acceptable, not bashing, doesn't call them *****s or claim they don't know how to reason, doesn't bash the Bible or those who read it...you know, the typical issues...

Seriously, are a majority of med students non-Christian?

The best way to find out is probably to surf around their websites and figure out who has the strongest Creationism department. I hear thats a real strong movement at some of these research-minded institutions. It must be because the NIH is just giving away money to prove that the earth is 5000 years old.

Psycho Doctor said:

Cornell
MSSM
NYMC
Columbia
NYU
Vandy
Wake

I think all of the schools you mentioned will prove to be equally nonsectarian/ nondenominational/religion-indifferent. They tend to be tolerant to various religious viewpoints, but I think if you are looking for schools which infuse christian religious teachings or viewpoints into their lectures, take certain christian stances on stem cell research, etc., or have a student body which is substantially fundamentalist christian, you will be disappointed. Even schools with Jesuit underpinnings such as Georgetown wouldn't be like that. I tend to agree with the poster to your previous thread who indicated that you probably would be more likely to find what you seek in schools further into the midwest, not the northeast.

Law2Doc said:
I think all of the schools you mentioned will prove to be equally nonsectarian/ nondenominational/religion-indifferent. They tend to be tolerant to various religious viewpoints, but I think if you are looking for schools which infuse christian religious teachings or viewpoints into their lectures, take certain christian stances on stem cell research, etc., or have a student body which is substantially fundamentalist christian, you will be disappointed. Even schools with Jesuit underpinnings such as Georgetown wouldn't be like that. I tend to agree with the poster to your previous thread who indicated that you probably would be more likely to find what you seek in schools further into the midwest, not the northeast.

no, no, not at all. I just wanted to feel comfortable with other med students who wasn't going to bash me for my religious and conservative views; I wanted people to be tolerant and not consider Christians to be "in a dream world", "unable to reason", "*****s", etc, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
CheckMate said:
I must be way out of the loop on this one...why did a couple of you imply that Duke is not Christian-friendly? I assume because it IS in the Bible Belt that it will be more tolerant than others

i would have thought so too until I saw a snide anti-Christian comment on another thread

i didn't think any schools had reputations for being Christian-unfriendly...

NYMC & Gtown are both Catholic institutions, so i would think that they would be very Christian friendly

But honestly Psycho, I don't think it depends on the school, I think it depends on your fellow classmates. And I would hope that most med students would be tolerant and friendly.

Psycho Doctor said:

Cornell

MSSM

NYMC

Columbia

NYU

Vandy

Wake

i would say any of the liberal schools would accept you as long as you are accepting of people different from you. if you don't want to be around anyone who is not exactly like you, i would seek christian-affiliated schools. however, if you enjoy being around people of other religions, sexual orientations, socioeconomic backgrounds, races, ethnicities, etc. come to new york!! we'll teach you a thing or two. . .

FaytlND said:
The best way to find out is probably to surf around their websites and figure out who has the strongest Creationism department. I hear thats a real strong movement at some of these research-minded institutions. It must be because the NIH is just giving away money to prove that the earth is 5000 years old.

sorry, but how can a person who understands enough about science to be a doctor really believe in creationism? enlighten me, ye christians.

juniper456 said:
i would say any of the liberal schools would accept you as long as you are accepting of people different from you. if you don't want to be around anyone who is not exactly like you, i would seek christian-affiliated schools. however, if you enjoy being around people of other religions, sexual orientations, socioeconomic backgrounds, races, ethnicities, etc. come to new york!! we'll teach you a thing or two. . .

i have nothing against being with people of mixed religions, sexual orientations, socioeconomic backgrounds, races, ethnicities, etc.

and I go to school in New York.

tinkerbelle said:
i didn't think any schools had reputations for being Christian-unfriendly...

NYMC & Gtown are both Catholic institutions, so i would think that they would be very Christian friendly

But honestly Psycho, I don't think it depends on the school, I think it depends on your fellow classmates. And I would hope that most med students would be tolerant and friendly.

:thumbup:

Honestly speaking, I personally don't know of any medical school that is disrespectul to fundamentalist Christians. It is quite difficult to generalize a particular school as being Christian/non-Christian friendly, especially because each medical school has different social clubs that focus on different religions. I believe that it would be worthwhile to both investigate and contact some of the different active Christian clubs/organizations at these medical schools. Speaking to chapter leaders or members will definitely give you a clearer understanding of how these groups are treated.

Just a thought..

juniper456 said:
sorry, but how can a person who understands enough about science to be a doctor really believe in creationism? enlighten me, ye christians.
you'd be amazed at how many (famous) scientists do believe in creationism :thumbup:

Try loma linda.

Psycho Doctor said:
you'd be amazed at how many (famous) scientists do believe in creationism :thumbup:
How many?

docjolly said:
:thumbup:

Honestly speaking, I personally don't know of any medical school that is disrespectul to fundamentalist Christians. It is quite difficult to generalize a particular school as being Christian/non-Christian friendly, especially because each medical school has different social clubs that focus on different religions. I believe that it would be worthwhile to both investigate and contact some of the different active Christian clubs/organizations at these medical schools. Speaking to chapter leaders or members will definitely give you a clearer understanding of how these groups are treated.

Just a thought..

ok, thanks, maybe i'll do that.

and tinkerbelle, I didn't apply to Georgetown

Psycho Doctor said:
and tinkerbelle, I didn't apply to Georgetown

oh i know :D i mentioned gtown for other people who might have the same question as you :p

juniper456 said:
Most often, "intelligent design" is offered as a counter to strict Hardy-Weinberg macroevolution. Among scientists, belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis seems pretty rare. Intelligent design is appealing, though it's not my cup of tea.

The east coast sucks anyway, come here to Saint Louis, you wont be dissapointed.

liverotcod said:
Most often, "intelligent design" is offered as a counter to strict Hardy-Weinberg macroevolution. Among scientists, belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis seems pretty rare. Intelligent design is appealing, though it's not my cup of tea.

what is "intelligent design"? is it something like god-directed evolution? i guess i could believe in something along those lines. . . maybe.

MWillie said:
How many?

The following list is very incomplete.

Gerald E. Aardsma (physicist and radiocarbon dating)

Louis Agassiz (helped develop the study of glacial geology and of ichthyology)

Alexander Arndt (analytical chemist, etc.)

Steven A. Austin (geologist and coal formation expert)

Charles Babbage (helped develop science of computers / developed actuarial tables and the calculating machine)

Francis Bacon (developed the Scientific Method)

Thomas G. Barnes (physicist)

Robert Boyle (helped develop sciences of chemistry and gas dynamics)

Wernher von Braun (pioneer of rocketry and space exploration)

David Brewster (helped develop science of optical mineralogy)

Arthur V. Chadwick (geologist)

Melvin Alonzo Cook (physical chemist, Nobel Prize nominee)

Georges Cuvier (helped develop sciences of comparative anatomy and vertebrate paleontology)

Humphry Davy (helped develop science of thermokinetics)

Donald B. DeYoung (physicist, specializing in solid-state, nuclear science and astronomy)

Henri Fabre (helped develop science of insect entomology)

Michael Faraday (helped develop science of electromagnetics / developed the Field Theory / invented the electric generator)

Danny R. Faulkner (astronomer)

Ambrose Fleming (helped develop science of electronics / invented thermionic valve)

Robert V. Gentry (physicist and chemist)

Duane T. Gish (biochemist)

John Grebe (chemist)

Joseph Henry (invented the electric motor and the galvanometer / discovered self-induction)

William Herschel (helped develop science of galactic astronomy / discovered double stars / developed the Global Star Catalog)

George F. Howe (botanist)

D. Russell Humphreys (award-winning physicist)

James P. Joule (developed reversible thermodynamics)

Johann Kepler (helped develop science of physical astronomy / developed the Ephemeris Tables)

John W. Klotz (geneticist and biologist)

Leonid Korochkin (geneticist)

Lane P. Lester (geneticist and biologist)

Carolus Linnaeus (helped develop sciences of taxonomy and systematic biology / developed the Classification System)

Joseph Lister (helped develop science of antiseptic surgery)

Frank L. Marsh (biologist)

Matthew Maury (helped develop science of oceanography/hydrography)

James Clerk Maxwell (helped develop the science of electrodynamics)

Gregor Mendel (founded the modern science of genetics)

Samuel F. B. Morse (invented the telegraph)

Isaac Newton (helped develop science of dynamics and the discipline of calculus / father of the Law of Gravity / invented the reflecting telescope)

Gary E. Parker (biologist and paleontologist)

Blaise Pascal (helped develop science of hydrostatics / invented the barometer)

Louis Pasteur (helped develop science of bacteriology / discovered the Law of Biogenesis / invented fermentation control / developed vaccinations and immunizations)

William Ramsay (helped develop the science of isotopic chemistry / discovered inert gases)

John Ray (helped develop science of biology and natural science)

Lord Rayleigh (helped develop science of dimensional analysis)

Bernhard Riemann (helped develop non-Euclidean geometry)

James Simpson (helped develop the field of gynecology / developed the use of chloroform)

Nicholas Steno (helped develop the science of stratigraphy)

George Stokes (helped develop science of fluid mechanics)

Charles B. Thaxton (chemist)

William Thompson (Lord Kelvin) (helped develop sciences of thermodynamics and energetics / invented the Absolute Temperature Scale / developed the Trans-Atlantic Cable)

Larry Vardiman (astrophysicist and geophysicist)

Leonardo da Vinci (helped develop science of hydraulics)

Rudolf Virchow (helped develop science of pathology)

A.J. (Monty) White (chemist)

A.E. Wilder-Smith (chemist and pharmacology expert)

John Woodward (helped develop the science of paleontology)

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-scientists.html

tinkerbelle said:
oh i know :D i mentioned gtown for other people who might have the same question as you :p
ah ok, that's cool! :thumbup:

Psycho Doctor said:
It would be interesting to include these scientists' birth and death dates in the list to see how many of them got a chance to absorb Origin of Species. The essence of science is the ability to admit being wrong when evidence contradicts one's position. I have never been able to grasp why faith and science can't coexist. Genesis creationism and science, on the other hand, leaves me scratching my head. One is a belief system, the other a well-established scientific theory. It's apples and oranges.

Oh great, Psycho Doc has given birth to another creationism thread.

liverotcod said:
It would be interesting to include these scientists' birth and death dates in the list to see how many of them got a chance to absorb Origin of Species. The essence of science is the ability to admit being wrong when evidence contradicts one's position. I have never been able to grasp why faith and science can't coexist. Genesis creationism and science, on the other hand, leaves me scratching my head. One is a belief system, the other a well-established scientific theory. It's apples and oranges.

right, neither are proven facts

feel free to google the dates, I don't have the time, nor do i feel the need to do so...

Psycho Doctor said:
i would have thought so too until I saw a snide anti-Christian comment on another thread

Don't write off an entire school because of one person who may not agree with you. Anywhere you go, you will be welcomed, as long as you don't "spout the gospel" all the time or in patient meetings.

Pinkertinkle said:
Oh great, Psycho Doc has given birth to another creationism thread.

sure it's easy to blame me for everything, but if you actually read the thread you'd see it was juniper who started it:

juniper456 said:

does christian friendly= near bathhouses?

stinkycheese said:
Don't write off an entire school because of one person who may not agree with you. Anywhere you go, you will be welcomed, as long as you don't "spout the gospel" all the time or in patient meetings.
oh brother

now if someone made a comment like that on a gay thread "you'd be welcomed as long as you didn't talk about your sexuality all the time" you'd be all over them and so would everyone else...but you all fail to see the double standard of intolerance.

liverotcod said:
It would be interesting to include these scientists' birth and death dates in the list to see how many of them got a chance to absorb Origin of Species. The essence of science is the ability to admit being wrong when evidence contradicts one's position. I have never been able to grasp why faith and science can't coexist.

Me neither! It seems dumber to me when people say, "because evolution happened, that negates creationism." Nothing really negates G-d. He's not a scientific theory, he's a belief, and it's called faith because we just don't know. Those who choose to believe that G-d created the world don't neglect the theory of evolution at all -- at least, I don't -- G-d is all-powerful and his seven "days" of creation could have lasted millions and millions of years! He was the only one in the world around to see it, after all. And why wouldn't He make an intelligent design? He is all-knowing. I have always believed that evolution is absolutely true, but that it was guided by the Lord.

Psycho Doctor said:
right, neither are proven facts

feel free to google the dates, I don't have the time, nor do i feel the need to do so...
Actually, FayIND started it this time.
But PD, that's like saying "liberalism" and the "theory of relativity" are in some way equivalent.

I am a liberal because I believe in liberal principles, not because liberalism explains an observed natural phenomenon, or can be proven (or disproven).

I'm interested in the theory of relativity because it explains my observations of magnetic fields (among other things). The theory of relativity does not depend on my believing it for existence. It can be proven or disproven at some point in the future.

Creationism is a belief system. Note the suffix "ism," denoting "belief in." It is most certainly not an attempt to explain observable natural phenomena!

Anyway, I know this has been overly debated here. I have just never participated, and couldn't resist letting my fingers loose. I'll leave it alone now. You may have the last word if you wish.

Psycho Doctor said:
oh brother

now if someone made a comment like that on a gay thread "you'd be welcomed as long as you didn't talk about your sexuality all the time" you'd be all over them and so would everyone else...but you all fail to see the double standard of intolerance.

The difference is that you seem to feel the need to try to get people to see the "error" of their ways, whereas no gay person is going to try to "make you gay so that you don't burn in hell." Do you see why people are less willing to tolerate people who try to "save" them?

I find it highly ironic that the most "conservative" views, such as keeping guns legal, the earth is less than 10,000 years old, etc., womenkind were plucked from adam's rib ,etc. actually defy all sensibility.

Has Christianity done anything in the course of history that was positive? Or just tell us we're crazy when we say the earth isn't flat, or that minibabies don't exist in sperm, or that vaccination is the devil's work?

Here is one area where people really could benefit from having the "widsom to know the difference:"

The "Midwest"!

Now maybe Missouri is really gung-ho conservative Christian--I wouldn't know since I've never lived there--but up here in Minnesota we are a LOT more moderate. This may be the mini-van belt of America, and the Home Depot-Red Lobster belt and all that, but it is NOT the bible belt. And maybe we don't have the cultural diversity of the East coast but we have a liberal tradition of our own that goes back as far as Walter Mondale and beyond. Probably the same can be said somewhat of Wisconsin and Iowa and the Dakotas (which are more wild west than bible belt). Each state is its own place--we're not just one big undifferentiated lump. Please people, if you are going to stereotype an entire swath of the USA, define your borders accurately. If what you mean is Kansas, then say it.

Edited part:
P.S. I read my post and it sounds out of the blue, but I was responding to someone on page one who said to look into schools in the "midwest." Also, no offense to anyone in Kansas or Missouri!

medstyle said:
I find it highly ironic that the most "conservative" views, such as keeping guns legal, the earth is less than 10,000 years old, etc., womenkind were plucked from adam's rib ,etc. actually defy all sensibility.

Has Christianity done anything in the course of history that was positive? Or just tell us we're crazy when we say the earth isn't flat, or that minibabies don't exist in sperm, or that vaccination is the devil's work?

huh?????????????????? what in the world are you talking about :rolleyes:

Please, do not take this person seriously.

medstyle said:

History always remembers the bad but rarely the good.

Christianity is a religion of love and much charity has resulted from it.

Its not christianity's fault that the christians screw it up.

stinkycheese said:
The difference is that you seem to feel the need to try to get people to see the "error" of their ways, whereas no gay person is going to try to "make you gay so that you don't burn in hell." Do you see why people are less willing to tolerate people who try to "save" them?
I agree with stinkycheese. My faith teaches me to be tolerant of people whose beliefs differ from mine. Normally, I'm pretty good at that. But when the other person believes that my faith (lack of it?) dooms me to a fiery eternity, and that person feels the need to threaten me with that, I really struggle to follow my own principles.

heeter said:
Please, do not take this person seriously.
PsychoDoctor is a 3000+ poster who has contributed a lot to SDN. Some bad (in my opinion) and some good. It's not really possible to dismiss someone who isn't activerly attempting to disrupt the community, and I think PD is well-intentioned. You can certainly ignore him, if you want to avoid conflict.

tinkerbelle said:
And I would hope that most med students would be tolerant and friendly.
:laugh:
You are new on this site ? :confused: