Ok. So far so good. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a longer post-- just a warning.

Ok, So I think I've done ok. I decided about a year and 1/2 ago to pursue medicine. I work full time as an economic consultant and I started taking classes part time. I studied engineering in college and managed to get a 3.65 GPA. In my post bacc at Northwestern I turned around a 3.9. (A's with a couple of A-'s) Then, the final big hurdle was the MCAT. Nabbed a 35S (12 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS). So my combined GPA is in the neighborhood of 3.7 and the MCAT works.

So what am I missing? Well, I have been working in a free clinic for awhile... Doing triage work. Also, I've been shadowing and ER doctor and have set up a 5K for 2 years now for an African charity. The 2 clinical experiences will measure about 8 - 10 months in duration by the time I actually apply. I also have a myriad of other non-medical extracurriculars like piano playing and martial arts and so forth.

For research I haven't done anything medical, and I'm a little concerned about that. I worked in an Engineering R&D lab in college and then my current job largely consists of economic research and analysis. I'm hoping that some decent descriptions in AMCAS and a good LOR will spin the latter in a good way for me.

So I'm happy with the progress, and I plan to apply in 2007.

Now:
I'm looking for people to be picky here. Is there anything else you would do if you were me? Would you quit your job and try to do more medically related stuff? How about some volunteer research?? I am a little worried that I might look like I'm padding my resume towards the end, but I decided only a year and 1/2 ago that I wanted to do medicine. I feel like I have a good chance of admission, but I really want to make the best out of my remaining 7 or 8 months before AMCAS goes in. So what would you do? Anyone? How do I maximize my chances in the remaining time?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no problem with non-medical research. Don't pad your application with something you don't want to do for the sake of getting in. Your application looks solid.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no problem with non-medical research. Don't pad your application with something you don't want to do for the sake of getting in. Your application looks solid.

I should mention that doing research would not be for the sole purpose of getting in. I would like to do some at some point because I think it would really interest me. I have enjoyed all of the other kinds of research that I have done, largely because I like to learn about things and how they work. Medical research not only is in the field I have choosen, but also has the potential to satisfy my desire to learn about new things and possibly create new areas of interest. That is very exciting. The question is should I try to fit some in now, or just wait and keep heading in the same direction. I'm getting the impression that the latter may be a better idea for the time being.

It sounds like you want to do research and want to be sure it's the joy you think it is. In that case, why wouldn't you do it?

Basically, we're saying that you don't need anything specifically added to your application. So do what you want.

Also, don't overlook opportunities for personal and interpersonal enrichment. The right attitude and the ability to work well with others are going to be keys to your future success in medicine and in life.