ok.. so I agree.... now how do we learn Organic to the MCAT level ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyAsianFeet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier I asked if I should focus on Organic or Genetics during the last few weeks before the Aug MCAT. I dont have time to do Genetics and Organic to the max. I have had biochem and cell bio so I have had some of the genetics. So I am going to focus on the organic material. I have been told by a few people the organic on the april test was waaay harder than usual undergrad organic. So how does one prepare for the more advanced organic material on the MCAT ?

Please dont say the MCAT just tests the basic organic because I heard from several people who did quite well on the bio section that their MCAT was in an entirely different category than usual undergrad organic.

Members don't see this ad.

PrettyAsianFeet said:
Earlier I asked if I should focus on Organic or Genetics during the last few weeks before the Aug MCAT. I dont have time to do Genetics and Organic to the max. I have had biochem and cell bio so I have had some of the genetics. So I am going to focus on the organic material. I have been told by a few people the organic on the april test was waaay harder than usual undergrad organic. So how does one prepare for the more advanced organic material on the MCAT ?

Please dont say the MCAT just tests the basic organic because I heard from several people who did quite well on the bio section that their MCAT was in an entirely different category than usual undergrad organic.

But it is basic... Isomers, Naming, and Reactivities...

gapotts2003 said:
But it is basic... Isomers, Naming, and Reactivities...

I have seen tests with Wittig reaction stuff and some mechanism stuff... So it isn't always absolute cake... A lot of times you can deduct the answers without really know stuff inside and out though...

Kikaku21 said:
I have seen tests with Wittig reaction stuff and some mechanism stuff... So it isn't always absolute cake... A lot of times you can deduct the answers without really know stuff inside and out though...

Yes... There will be odd reactions such as aldol condensation, but that's why you have to understand what is going on conceptually. You'll never be able to memorize every odd reaction. Except of course substitution and elimination. Maybe Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution. Hydrogenation. Some of the radical mechanisms... Ok that's enough. Go to a book with the complete review and look at it. Definitely know the concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.