1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Ok...so I have an interview at University of Chicago...Now what?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nypostbac, Dec 10, 2001.

1. nysurg

nysurg A chance to cut...
    10+ Year Member

I need some advice and a pep talk...I just looked at the stat's for University of Chicago on US News and World Report and got really depressed. They only take about 3-6% of applicants. I got an interview and I know that means that I am not in but I really need some help preparing so that I can come across like it would be their loss if they didn't take me. So please share with me some of your experiences at the U of C. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

First off, the stats in the US News mean next to nothing. 3-6% is the percentage of total applicants that MATRICULATED, not the number ACCEPTED.

With that said, congrats on the interview! You made it further than I did at U of C!

4. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

while the stat you saw may have been either the # accepted or the # matriculated, here's your pep talk: U of C only interviews about 600 people for their 104 slots. Somewhere around 40-45% of those interviewed will be accepted, so that's is your chance now (not 3%!!!). U of C is an awesome school, I loved it, I'll almost for sure be there next fall. I would say be confident in yourself and, your goals, and especially your road to medicine. Don't get all hyped up on selling yourself, just be true to yourself and present yourself in a fair light. The interview wasn't high stress, but they keep you on your toes more than most other places I've been where it's a pure conversation. Don't be afraid to not know something, just don't misrepresent what you do know. Good luck, maybe I'll see you next year!

5. nysurg

nysurg A chance to cut...
    10+ Year Member

Thank you guys sooooooo much. I do feel so much better. Can you tell me what kinds of questions were asked...I know that there are 3 interviews scheduled for that day. Seems so long. Anyway, let me about your interview experience...I really hope that I do get in and I can be in your class next year. :D :D ;)

6. Mage

Mage Member
    7+ Year Member

Ah, so that's how the USNews stats work. How about Case Western's? Anyone know what % of their interviewees get accepted?

7. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

congrats on the interview invite. Pritzker was my first out-of-state interview, so I was sorta nervouse too, but staying with a student really took the load off for me. As discussed in other threads, this is a personal preference.

Nobody mentions it, but it's really 2 1/2 or even 2.25 interviews. The .25 is the dean, who has a paper with ~4 questions: what you did in the summer since AMCAS, what you doing this year, why UofC, and maybe one more. It's a total of 15 minutes, and he writes it all down like a nice secretary. Of course having questions showing interest is a big +, but that's for all the interviews.

The faculty interview was my toughest, partially because it started off with her asking about my chemistry research this summer and after a few minutes of struggling to explain to her (blank face) she shrugged it off as the stuff she never really understood, stating how her Physics-person [what the heck, it's not Physician, so what is the word I'm thinking of?] husband always trys and explains her research and she barely gets it. Eventually got talking about her kids and joked with her about helping her back pain and spending time with her kids @ the same time..

Student interview was good. Toughest series of questions I've had anywhere. He came on the tour with us, so I was already comfortable speaking to him throughout the afternoon.

8. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

USeF- physicist is the word you were searching for

nypostbac, some of the questions I got in the student interview were 1)name 3 adjectives that describe you and why, 2)define what "service" means to you, and do physicians have a responsibility to fufill this definition?

those were the toughies, the rest was just stuff from my app, they give you lots of time to talk about whatever you like in all 3 interviews. both deans are awesome (sylvia and dean lombard) so don't stress that short interview, just tell them what you like about the school and why you want to go there. good luck

9. jftsai

jftsai Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed there after Thanksgiving, and all of the people I talked to were so incrediby nice! They didn't make me feel uncomortable, which was really good, because it was my first interview. The only tough questions that I caught me off guard were from the student who asked me to describe jazz to a deaf person and the color blue to a blind person. Wonderful, wonderful school though. I really hope I get in there. :)