OK....tell me all about Pitt!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can any of you guys take a minute and tell me about Pitt? Stuff dealing with the school's academia, area, etc. BTW, do they have a A/B/C.. or H/P/F system?

Thx guys,

Also, how was your interview like?

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt is H/P/F for the first two years and H/HP/LP/F for years 3 and 4. Very strong research but also great clinical exposure, as UPMC ranks in the top 15 hospitals. Curriculum is PBL/small group mixed in with lecture. Great extracurricular opportunities in their areas of concentration. The hospital and med school are in the same area and undergrad campus is adjacent to them. Only drawback for me is the area, but I've lived in LA, Boston, and Chicago so I have high standards. Great school and thats why I'll be there in the fall.

Most people seem to underestimate the coolness of Pittsburgh. It's an extremely safe and affordable city that has somewhat of a Boston-ish feeling (of course it's much smaller!) without the ridiculously high rents! I totally loved Pitt when I visited. The students, on the whole, seemed VERY laid back and non-cutthroat. I think it's pretty similar to Sinai actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything that has been said it true. I was actually leaning towards Pitt over Sinai for May 15th, until Duke came calling of course :D .

The curriculum is awesome. Block system. Not more than 1 hard core science class at a time (correct me if I am wrong guys) for the first year. If you ever talk to a Pitt student, they always talk about the supportiveness of the administration and faculty. Pittsburgh is okay. Downside is that it lacks diversity but the people are great! Also UPMC is the medical center for Western PA so they see everything there. While other academic medical centers are losing money around the country they seem to be buying up everything in its path.
Another plus is that you can ride Pittsburgh city buses free with a Pitt student ID. Plus the new athletic center they are finishing looks awesome, the facilities no doubt will be incredible when it opens.

Oh, I forgot during your first and second years you have 2-3 afternoons off per week. Sometimes only 1 during 2nd year, but mostly 2.

Okay, that is all I can think of now. Hopefully, Pipper and SuperGrover will post soon. They have become Pitt experts by now!

bebe

I'll be attending Pitt next year...grew up in Pittsburgh and Iam actually working in a research lab over the summer at both Presbyterian Hosp. and the Med School. Needless to say Iam a little biased but I love this place.Everybody is real supportive and they seem to really care that you learn everything you possibly can. Pittsburgh is an affordable place to live with a lot to do for a city its size....hope this helps!!