OK to apply in June while completing requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheatbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a postbac student that planned on applying in June but completing biochemistry and calculus during that same summer right after I apply. I am applying to some schools which require biochem and calc but I don't want my chances to be diminished for applying after those two requirements are completed in August. Can I still apply without those courses done and graded? I assume they won't receive the transcripts for the two classes until September or late August. The alternative plan is to apply only to schools that don't require both or to wait until they are finished to apply. Do medical schools still consider you completing these requirements if you are enrolled in the classes while applying?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a postbac student that planned on applying in June but completing biochemistry and calculus during that same summer right after I apply. I am applying to some schools which require biochem and calc but I don't want my chances to be diminished for applying after those two requirements are completed in August. Can I still apply without those courses done and graded? I assume they won't receive the transcripts for the two classes until September or late August. The alternative plan is to apply only to schools that don't require both or to wait until they are finished to apply. Do medical schools still consider you completing these requirements if you are enrolled in the classes while applying?

Thank you in advance!

You are safe. Pre reqs must be completed prior to med school matriculation - lots of people apply with classes still to be completed.

A couple of schools (maybe Harvard?) require that pre reqs be completed by the fall semester, but that is rare and does not apply in your example anyway.

thank you very much! can anyone else confirm this? just want to make sure and get a second opinion...also, does it matter if you are not enrolled in the classes yet when your application is complete? how would that work? I plan to apply June 1st but my coursework in biochem and calc starts mid-June.

Last edited:
thank you very much! can anyone else confirm this? just want to make sure and get a second opinion...

I applied in June but didn't finish Ochem II until August and didn't even take the Ochem II lab until this semester (spring of the following year.) Out of 14 schools, only one school e-mailed me about it, and then it was just to make sure that I knew they were required. :rolleyes: E-mailed them back and told them I was enrolled, and they were like, "Cool, we figured."

But yeah, it didn't keep me from getting accepted or interviewed anywhere. Schools are used to this.