Ok to describe prelim (more like probable) research in AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perutz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to submit AMCAS but I need to verify on one thing. I have been working in a lab for 2 years and finished my first assignment; took me a long time (7 months) since we needed to accumulate enough protein for crystal screening. However, we got some surprising results and we were thinking of pursuing future studies in this area in which I would have a much bigger role 9experiment design, ect). However, for this ongoing/planned work, I have only done preliminary experiments and after mulling about it for a while, we are thinking of changing the direction for the project (making my initial work only "good to have" but not really useful) but haven't reached a decision yet. I was wondering if I could still talk about this ongoing and planned research, considering that it might change considerably (it's pretty exciting, showcases independent thinking, ect). Also, if we fail to get any results this summer, we could end up putting off the project and working on less ambitious work. Would it be ok then to say, we were thinking of pursuing such research in my AMCAS but the details remain in the air or just leave it out all together? On a side note, do schools want us to talk about research very in depth technical in the AMCAS work/activities or just in general and then focus more on what we got out of it: got to problem solve, think independently, learned about time management, other soft stuff? Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

its always good to be able to talk enthusiastically about what you've done and where it could potentially go, even if it might not go.

If you haven't done it, don't include it. Save it for future update letters so you have something interesting to say. Keep your narrative description succinct, include procedures you became adept at, and time involved. Many who read your PS won't have a clue what you're talking about anyway and will be bored if it's too involved. Save the "soft stuff" for your PS, if you think it impacts on your reason for becoming a physician.

At the time I submitted my AMCAS, I thought I had my senior thesis project lined up. Of course that changed as soon as I got back in the lab, and I'm now doing something I'm much more excited about. It's not going to kill you to put what you think you'll be working on in the future. Worst case scenario is that they ask about it and you explain how your plans change. If they know anything about research, they'll know plans change all the time.