Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Ok to do away rotation first?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by SJBX, Mar 11, 2007.

1. SJBX

SJBX Member
    7+ Year Member

Due to the inflexible nature of scheduling, the best time for me to to the away rotation at a program I'm very interested in will be my first EM rotation. Is this too risky? Should I make sure a do a "home" EM rotation first?

2. c.bear

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My school did not even have an EM residency program, so I did not even do one at home. I think it would be fine to do an away first.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, you can do an away first. Just don't suck at it. I would recommend doing another Sub-I first if you aren't used to writing orders, etc.

4. EM_Rebuilder

EM_Rebuilder Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My first two rotations of MSIV were away rotations in EM. My home school does not have a program.

I did not think it hurt me. Make sure to point out to the PD that this is your first official month in the ED; and to anyone who will write you a SLOR because that information is included on the SLOR I believe...

Good Luck..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. drdrtoledo

drdrtoledo Pharm Delicious
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Shouldn't be a problem at all. I did it and got my first choice residency. I knew I didn't want to stay at my home institution. Just make sure you tell the program you are visiting it's your first rotation. Be sure to get letters from your home institution too even if you are planning on not attending their program.
    A