Ok to do away rotation first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJBX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to the inflexible nature of scheduling, the best time for me to to the away rotation at a program I'm very interested in will be my first EM rotation. Is this too risky? Should I make sure a do a "home" EM rotation first?

Members don't see this ad.

My school did not even have an EM residency program, so I did not even do one at home. I think it would be fine to do an away first.

Yeah, you can do an away first. Just don't suck at it. I would recommend doing another Sub-I first if you aren't used to writing orders, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first two rotations of MSIV were away rotations in EM. My home school does not have a program.

I did not think it hurt me. Make sure to point out to the PD that this is your first official month in the ED; and to anyone who will write you a SLOR because that information is included on the SLOR I believe...

Good Luck..

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I did it and got my first choice residency. I knew I didn't want to stay at my home institution. Just make sure you tell the program you are visiting it's your first rotation. Be sure to get letters from your home institution too even if you are planning on not attending their program.
A