doraxplorer

7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi guys,
is it ok to take prereqs at a cuny? for financial purposes.

Last edited:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It's a red flag, you'll be asked but honestly if it appears as a question on the interview you'll be able to explain. Honestly at my school its 1,2k at my university over the summer w/lab. You can do alot with that extra 8k honestly.

CityLights

7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Status
I think CUNYs are pretty reputable. I know Hunter attracts many post-baccs from ivy undergrads who do well there, and I've read that Brooklyn has an up-and-coming post-bacc program as well. If you have a good reason for taking the course there (saving $$), I think it would be ok, as long as you can explain why.

TaylorMDhopeful

Here comes trouble!
10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Oakland, PA
Status
Medical Student
I think CUNYs are pretty reputable. I know Hunter attracts many post-baccs from ivy undergrads who do well there, and I've read that Brooklyn has an up-and-coming post-bacc program as well. If you have a good reason for taking the course there (saving $$), I think it would be ok, as long as you can explain why.
Taking Orgo 2, Phys 2 and studying may be challenging but it could also be seen as supplemental work and strengthen your understanding of the coursework. I know a couple people that have done it and turned out fine.

I am accepted into medical school this cycle and I am currently finishing up my Orgo Lab 2 requirement at Hunter. I just put on my application that I was missing Orgo Lab 1 (taken late summer 2009) and 2 (taking now). A few schools that I interviewed at questioned me about why I am taking it outside of college but I just told them that my schedule didn't permit me to take it alongside the Orgo class while I was in undergrad. I know some schools (from my knowledge some AECOM adcoms) don't like it when you take CUNY courses and are not CUNY undergrad because they view it as a kind of gpa enhancing. But if you have a good science GPA from undergrad and you take a few classes outside of your school it won't remove you from consideration.

doraxplorer

7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Status
thanks for the info guys! I think I'm just going to take orgoII without the lab first like taylormdhopeful since labs have been complete waste of time in terms of understanding the material (or at least I could still understand the material without spending an extra 7 hours of lab time per week). I should probably spend my summer earning $$ instead of spending 9000 just to get 2 credits. I guess studying abroad isn't really my priority right now.

doraxplorer

7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Status
No, i live in the city, so sunys would be too far to commute to.