Ok to explain low verbal score in PS or will it seem like an excuse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeluver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is considered a low verbal score?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how low it is. I had one low score compared to other two sections on mcat but didnt mention about it.

Good lord. Don't draw attention to it. Yes, it will seem like an excuse. The best comeback from a low *verbal* score is just to write well!

good luck :)
~sunflower

Members don't see this ad :)
Find a way to work your family background or your childhood into your personal statement. Mentioning experiences in a foreign country, moving to this country, cultural challenges you have faced or the difficulties of transitioning to classes being taught in English will tell the reader of your statement that English is your second language without bringing it up as a an "excuse' for a low verbal score.

Lots of people learned english as a second language and immigrated here, you'll have to show why you are special.

We've established that the only valid excuses involve video games (normally Everquest.) If you mentioned you were up all night playing a video game and were too tired to do well (the verbal section normally suffers most when you can't concentrate), you might be golden. :thumbup:

beanbean said:
Find a way to work your family background or your childhood into your personal statement. Mentioning experiences in a foreign country, moving to this country, cultural challenges you have faced or the difficulties of transitioning to classes being taught in English will tell the reader of your statement that English is your second language without bringing it up as a an "excuse' for a low verbal score.

Good advice. I want to hear an inspiring story about how you struggled to get here and why you want to become a doctor not some anal pre med obsessing about a score. :)

dhoonlee said:
Dear Medical School Admissions,

I recieved a 2 on my MCAT verbal section because the night before the test, I, Argindorf, a level 47 dwarven Paladin Dragon slayer, with a full set of holy armor and my trusty elemental Holy Avenger +3, slayed the the dark beast on everquest.

P.S. : I love medicine.

Perfect! I guarantee that will overcome any verbal score, no matter how low.

I got a low verbal score too, but I didn't address it in my personal statement. Instead I tried to show the ad coms. that reading and writing was not a weakness by getting good letters of rec from my English professors and getting A's in my English courses as well. Good luck with that. :D

dhoonlee said:
Dear Medical School Admissions,

I recieved a 2 on my MCAT verbal section because the night before the test, I, Argindorf, a level 47 dwarven Paladin Dragon slayer, with a full set of holy armor and my trusty elemental Holy Avenger +3, slayed the the dark beast on everquest.

P.S. : I love medicine.

<putting on grammar hat>

I'd suggest that you write about how you slew the dark beast. :D

</remove hat>

don't use your PS to talk about your weakness......big mistake.

Why do you guys take advice from SDN? I don't get it. I think this site is enjoyable, laughable at times, but mindless.

My cousin sits on a committee at a private medical school. I was concerned about one semester of grades and he said that readers always go to your PS when their is a deficit in your application. They're not looking for an excuse. They're looking for context. If you're from a disadvantaged background and had to work and lived under a bridge, well that explains your low GPA.

If you just learned English four minutes ago, well that explains your low verbal score.

What i'm saying is: Almost everyone on here is in the same situation as us. They know nothing and they offer conjecture based on ignorance. If you have weakness, answer it. Deal with it and address it.

I must be entombed in a salt mound by now...