ok to leave out Dean's List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay not to include Dean's List on the post-sec experiences? It says on my transcript that I was on the Dean's List and plus one of my post-sec exp is an honor society which means that my average was high.

Members don't see this ad.

If your GPA is high enough, they'll know you were on the Dean's List. Use the space for something that makes you stand out from the crowd.

I didn't put down deans list because I put down 4 honors societies, and I figured they got the idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think that the dean's list is pretty useless. No one will notice at all of you leave it off. No one will notice if you put in on there either. I was on it every semester of college, but did not include it. My GPA speaks for itself.

Now if my MCAT only spoke for itself, I would feel good about my chances next year.

I recieved a National Deans Award a few weeks ago. Is that different from the Deans List or is it just an award showing that you have made the deans list?:confused:

i think its the same deal - i would definately not put both down - kinda triply redundant (unless it is something different completely)
-jot

some schools don't even have dean's list -- like mine!

Yeah, i was wondering the same thing for a while
in the end, I just put dean's list and in the explanation noted that b/c of these grades I'm in these honor societies + listed them without having to create separate entries.
the national's dean's list is different ; most secondaries will allow u to mention that since most seem to ask for honors/awards "or anything you;d like the adcom to know" esp. if you already submitted AMCAS.
btw is anyone doing this? - $12 bucks to be in some $70? book i won't buy?? sounds sketchy - i felt like they were selling me those collector's plate of the presidents or something.

that national deans thing is like "who's who among american high school students"

basically i feel it is a way to con your grandma outta money.

Actually,
I am on the national dean's list and it supposedly only allows the "top one percent in US" to get on it. Registrars, academic advisors, club/honor society adv. can nominate you.

I put it on there because my GPA was horrible in the first 2 years. I wanted to show that I have improved, so I put it on there. And no, you don't have to buy a book to be IN the book. :D

So granny can save the money for the trust fund. :laugh:

If you get a 4.0 then obsioulsy you are on the Presiden'ts list, no need to waste space saying it again. Use the space for something that will make you look different from everyone else..Dean's list is not that. If you had a bad year, then I think it's ok to show that u came back.
I always get those national thingys..but mom always sends them after the deadline...who reads them neway??
;)