ok to take ochem I after one semester of chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkTooMuch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was looking at something like this

semester 1

chem I
Bio I
Physics I

semester 2

Ochem 1
Bio II
chem II

also, which of these premed courses would be most appropriate to take during the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many schools require chem I/II before you can enroll in OChem. I'd check on this.

If you pick up gen chem pretty easily, going into OChem I wouldn't be much of a stretch if it is allowed. There are a few things you would need to know from gen chem II (some rate stuff, etc.). If you're competent in chemistry it shouldn't be a problem, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends on how your gen chem I is structured. ours had all of the information we need for ochem and more. Gen chem II was not a pre-req for ochem I for me, and most people do not take it. I did fine in ochem without it and nobody else seemed to have a problem either.

I took Chem I during a summer, Orgo I and II during the year, and finished up with Chem II the following summer. I had no issues with the coursework, but I do wish I would have had the exposure to acid/base chemistry BEFORE going into Organic.

You can do it so long as you are the type of person who doesn't mind going into it with a disadvantage.

Good luck!

At least at my school we did all the hybridization and MO stuff in Chem I, so I guess you'd be fine on that front. I liked having a full year of General before organic because it helps you see thing better on all fronts.

Really though, everything we did in Gen chem that could be tied to Organic was talked about for MAYBE 2 lectures at the start of class and then moves on to stuff you've never seen before.

i was looking at something like this

semester 1

chem I
Bio I
Physics I

semester 2

Ochem 1
Bio II
chem II

also, which of these premed courses would be most appropriate to take during the summer?

I got C's in both Gen Chem, and their labs. (point is i didnt actually learn anything freshman year) then i got A- in both Ochems. (point is you dont need to know anything before OChem, you just learn it all again anyway)

OChem is definitely nothing like G Chem, don't listen to the people who try to deter you from taking it. I actually thought OChem was easier than G Chem. G Chem was pretty random.

The school I went to before transferring allowed only one semester of G-Chem before taking O Chem. Honestly, there wasn't a whole lot from GChem that I used in OChem. I was taking another bio class with it so my course load was pretty packed.

If you can handle it and your school allows you to do it, go for it.

oh darn, yeah i gotta take chem I and II before i can take ochem I. hope med schools wont mind that i wont taken ochem when i apply. :oops: ill just have to rock the mcat. :oops:

any advice on when to take the labs? same frequency per week as lecture, same days etc..?

any advice on when to take the labs? same frequency per week as lecture, same days etc..?

I tried to get them on the same day early in the week to get it over with. We also had a once a week one hour supplemental meeting that involved problem solving we were required to sign up for. Needless to say my Mondays were packed with OChem.

Members don't see this ad :)
OChem is definitely nothing like G Chem, don't listen to the people who try to deter you from taking it. I actually thought OChem was easier than G Chem. G Chem was pretty random.

+1

I thought it was tough to get a tow hold on the subject matter of gen chem because gen chem is parts from every area of chemistry and I thought it was difficult going from Acid/Base chemistry to electrochem in only 2 weeks time.

i think you should definitely know acid-base chemistry and hybridization/bonding before going into ochem. if you learned this stuff in chem 1, then you pretty much know everything you need to know for ochem.

Like everyone else has already said, Gen Chem II is probably a requirement for organic. If not, I don't see any problem with it. Orgo is an entirely different ballgame if you ask me. I mean, the fundamental understanding you get from Gen Chem is important, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity for orgo

Yep, I took Organic 1 after only one semester of Inorganic. Then I took my second semester of inorganic and then finished Organic. It was completely fine. If your school allows it, I don't see why not. I was so sick of general chem I needed something with pictures. It was fine, really.

my school's chem curriculum in this order:
Gen Chem 1
Orgo 1
Orgo 2
Gen Chem 2

not sure why, but it works.

Same here. I received permission to take OChem 1 before Gen Chem 2 and I thought it wasn't that hard.

i also thought ochem 1 was a lot easier than gen chem 2.

i didnt really find that they related to each other much. maybe a little w/ the lewis structures, acid/base stuff...but you can look at that on your own if you need to, and it is basically retaught to you in orgo 1.

i think you would be totally fine.

my school's chem curriculum in this order:
Gen Chem 1
Orgo 1
Orgo 2
Gen Chem 2

not sure why, but it works.

My school does it this way too. I've heard that it's to weed out kids earlier, so that they don't waste an entire year in gen chem only to get to orgo to find out they just can't cut it...

at a state school I know there is no gen. chem ii. they go straight to organic after gen. chem i. and take inorganic later to fufill the pre-reqs.

i didnt take either.. gen chem 1 or 2... i had ap credits from 11th grade..

i dont remember anything from then.. it hasnt been a problem yet.