ok which of these schools would you guys pick over another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shimmerz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Med School students help!!

I have interviews at Touro U-Las Vegas, Touro U- Mare Island, Western U, CCOM, PCOM, Nova, WVSOM, and UNECOM. I have already interviewed at Touro-Vegas and Nova. I'm accepted at Nova, which is a school I really liked.

Now before I break the bank flying to all these different interviews, please tell me which medical schools have high board exam pass rates and which ones are highly reccomended. All I was really basing it on so far was location, especially being in a big city, because I can't stand living in small towns, which I did for my undergrad, bleh. I have already cancelled my interview for UNECOM, because I have lived in TX my whole life, and didn't think I could stand being that cold. I realize though that basing my decision strictly on location isnt the smartest thing to do, so wanted to get some other factors, like how well the students do factor into my decision. Anyone have ideas??

Thanks !!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to Western U..CCOM...PCOM

shimmerz said:

I have interviews at Touro U-Las Vegas, Touro U- Mare Island, Western U, CCOM, PCOM, Nova, WVSOM, and UNECOM. I have already interviewed at Touro-Vegas and Nova. I'm accepted at Nova, which is a school I really liked.

Now before I break the bank flying to all these different interviews, please tell me which medical schools have high board exam pass rates and which ones are highly reccomended. All I was really basing it on so far was location, especially being in a big city, because I can't stand living in small towns, which I did for my undergrad, bleh. I have already cancelled my interview for UNECOM, because I have lived in TX my whole life, and didn't think I could stand being that cold. I realize though that basing my decision strictly on location isnt the smartest thing to do, so wanted to get some other factors, like how well the students do factor into my decision. Anyone have ideas??

Thanks !!

CCOM is one of the oldest schools and has fantastic match lists - especially if you would like to do your residency in the Chicagoland area (I don't go there by the way).
WVSOM is very primary-care oriented and most of the students stay in West Virginia. If that, and a rural atmosphere, appeal to you, that would be a good choice. If not, not.
TUCOM-LV is new, so there's no match lists to look at. TUCOM-CA has had fairly impressive matchlists, especially in California sites. If you'd like to train in California, great choice. Same goes for COMP.
PCOM does not publish match lists. Good reputation though, been around a long time. Lots of specialization I believe.
NSU of course has a great location. Their matchlist is fairly good - once again, fairly regional.

Where do you want to train and what do you think you want to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
oops I forgot to mention another school.. KCUMB.. how is their school?

I want to come back to TX to do residency, hopefully Houston, TX. I am thinking mostly primary care right now, although I have a strong interest in dermatology as well.

(nicedream) said:
CCOM is one of the oldest schools and has fantastic match lists - especially if you would like to do your residency in the Chicagoland area (I don't go there by the way).
WVSOM is very primary-care oriented and most of the students stay in West Virginia. If that, and a rural atmosphere, appeal to you, that would be a good choice. If not, not.
TUCOM-LV is new, so there's no match lists to look at. TUCOM-CA has had fairly impressive matchlists, especially in California sites. If you'd like to train in California, great choice. Same goes for COMP.
PCOM does not publish match lists. Good reputation though, been around a long time. Lots of specialization I believe.
NSU of course has a great location. Their matchlist is fairly good - once again, fairly regional.

Where do you want to train and what do you think you want to do?

shimmerz said:

Thanks !!

I have alot lived in Texas all of my life. I would absolutely base my decision on the schools that both have the highest pass rate AND have well established residencies and post-graduate opportunities. Those that have their own hospital are a major plus. The schools that are brand new will not have these kinds of things.

If it were me, I would choose:

CCOM 1st and PCOM 2nd.

shimmerz said:
I want to come back to TX to do residency, hopefully Houston, TX. I am thinking mostly primary care right now, although I have a strong interest in dermatology as well.

Then you are in luck because a lot of DOs match into UT Houston primary care (mostly from OSUCOM and TCOM mind you, but this may be because more of those students apply). Lots of other DO friendly programs throughout TX.

As for derm - as you may know, that is one of the toughest residencies to get. In all practicality you would be limited to the DO programs, of which there are 18 - none in TX.

Anyway, I think CCOM would give you the broadest opportunity. Then NSUCOM/TUCOM/COMP, then WVSOM/UNECOM.
Can't speak for PCOM since no match lists available.

thanks so much for all of the advice you guys!!!!! best of luck during medical schools! U guys are already there! im so jealous :)

shimmerz said:
thanks so much for all of the advice you guys!!!!! best of luck during medical schools! U guys are already there! im so jealous :)
Of the schools you mentioned, I chose to attend Western U over Touro (and turned down UNECOM interview invite) ... don't be jealous of us being in medical school. As for me, I'm jealous of you for all the free time you have. Enjoy your time b4 the sht hits the fan ! ;)

Yeah. UNECOM would be cold. I am from Texas and out of the ones you mentioned I had an interest in CCOM and NOVA, didn't really know that much about PCOM but have heard good things...its a well grounded school. Probably the best overall for you MIGHT be CCOM. I have met students from CCOM and they seem to have good match lists and strong boards. Both CCOM and PCOM will have their share of chilly nights so you may prefer NOVA. NOVA looks like it has a great campus, but the downside for me was the mandatory attendance. I don't know if attendance is required or dress code for that matter but those were two things I didn't like at all, especially for the first two years where you sit in a classroom all day long. A big factor though is when you visit, do you like it and could you see yourself happy there for four years, which you said you already could about NOVA so that helps your decision.

TUCOM-LV is new and I would rather go to a school more grounded that has a longer history. Having prior graduates get into programs I think can help out when it comes residency application time...because doors have been open. TUCOM-CA I didn't care for because they really have to farm out students for rotations from what I understand because of all the other medical schools in the area...and I haven't been too impressed with their match list, and other things.

The thing I learned most from going through medical school and the residency application process/matching etc....is that location can make a big difference. Some program directors really like ties to the area so for those of you reading this, keep that in mind. For the original poster, he/she will "have" his ties to Houston should he want to come back for residency, but definitely more students who let's say, go to medical school in Florida, might stick around and do residencies in that area, and the reason I bring this up is that the OP mentioned he was interested in Dermatology, which he would probably HAVE to do a residency outside of Florida in should he go to Nova, because Florida requires the AOA internship year, and there aren't that many DO Derm Residencies from what I understand. One of the little things to think about if you are going to DO school in one of the 5 states that like to keep things difficult for DO grads.

Coming from TX I was hoping to match into TCOM, but I didn't get an interview there. I decided to go to WesternU/COMP. And I won't even start on the complaints that I have had about the school, which in hindsight some seem valid and some don't now that I've graduated and seen a "bigger picture."

What I can say is that I think I got a relatively strong education at COMP, but it really took a lot of initiative and self-learning to do well in the match and on boards. That probably goes for any school. And from what I've heard COMP's board passing rates aren't even average for the DO schools in general, but for those applying to DO schools don't let that weigh too much on your decision(not just about Western), because you need to study hard on your own no matter where you go and just because a school has a below average board passing rate, doesn't mean YOU can't do better than average as an individual. Also, I wouldn't have gotten into the residency that I matched to had I gone to another program, because I think the ties to SoCal helped by going to a SoCal school and also Western has a relatively good name in the area. Regardless of board pass rates, when I interviewed, I liked the area, the things to do when not studying, the people were fairly friendly, the rotations were good, and I thought I'd be happy here for four years. I didn't really think about where I'd be going for residency when I applied for DO school, and the specialty I thought I would be going into, EM, was changed before I even did the rotation.

So with that said, and from what the original poster (OP) said his/her goals are, here's my humble opinionated rank list, which the OP will need to make his/her own decisions on based on how the interviews go, etc...(some are ties):

1. NOVA (you already said you liked it and you won't be cold)
1. CCOM (good school, ? better chance at specialty, but you might be cold)
3. Western/COMP (you won't be cold and its primary care oriented, although you could specialize if you work really hard)
3. PCOM (you WILL be cold...not that much farther south than UNECOM, ? better chance at specialization)
5. WVCOM (you might be cold, really really primary care oriented, and tend to take and keep lots of students in WV like other poster said)
6. TUCOM-CA
7. TUCOM-Vegas

As a Texan, I have been happy in SoCal the past four years in medical school and I'll be here another 5-6 for residency, but I don't think I'll wanna practice here. I have spent lots of time in Florida and people and the environment in Florida is definitely more similar to Texas than California, so I can see one reason why NOVA was probably appealing to you. But, see how your other interviews go and go with your gut....Good Luck.

P.S. See if you can see match lists when you interview...I think that's a reasonable request, especially since you are already accepted somewhere.

P.P.S. No I don't want to go back to Texas to practice, and I don't want to go to Florida to practice either....people always ask me that for some reason.

P.P.P.S. As far as Derm, I don't know of anyone in COMP 2004's class that matched into derm, and we only had one in my class who matched into a derm program (a military program in Texas actually). Lots of PM&R in my class, Anesthesiology, and then IM, Peds, FP...with others less common.

ONE MORE THING. AND THIS GOES TO EVERYONE WHO READS THIS. I REALIZED I WANTED TO ADD THIS AFTER I RE-READ MY POST.

Regardless of what you "KNOW" you are going to go into after med school, things change. You might come to the conclusion that Family Practice is lame, and that you really want something more active than Derm....you might start your clinical rotations and realize you want to be a surgeon, maybe OrthoSx!!!

I went to school with many students who set their goals too low....don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong with going into Family Practice, or Internal Medicine, or Pediatrics, or whatever...but you don't want to settle for a specialty because your grades weren't good enough or your board scores didn't meet the "cutoffs." Some of my classmates probably aimed to just "pass" the boards, or to just "pass" the exams the first two years...and then when it comes to rotations, you realize you like a specialty that is fairly competitive and you have an even bigger uphill climb now....

Regardless of which school you choose, work hard during medical school and study hard for the boards because you want your doors to remain open in case your goals change, which they inevitably will if you don't prepare.

sorry for the newbie question..
PCOM, does it stand for Philadelphia College of Medicine and CCOM is for Chicago right? All these abbreviations! :)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, PCOM is philly and CCOM is chitown.

In regards to Vince's post - actually, FL has the most DO derm residencies nationwide. Not really surprising - half the residencies are in FL, CA, and AZ (skin cancer).
If you KNEW you wanted to do dermatology - and as Vince said, most people's goals change multiple times throughout medschool - NSUCOM would be your best choice. They do well at matching at the FL programs (3 of them are NSU affiliated). The required AOA internship year isn't an issue in derm (you would be doing a DO residency anyway - that requirement really comes into play when you want to do an MD residency, which you would not be doing in derm).

First of all.. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the advice Vince and NiceDream.. it is really helpful.. this is a big decision that will stick with me the rest of my life..

Vince and NiceDream.. What do you guys think of KCUMB? I also have an upcoming interview there that I forgot to mention in the original post..

Don't know anything about KCUMB.

shimmerz said:
First of all.. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the advice Vince and NiceDream.. it is really helpful.. this is a big decision that will stick with me the rest of my life..

Vince and NiceDream.. What do you guys think of KCUMB? I also have an upcoming interview there that I forgot to mention in the original post..

Never seen a match list available for them. They are an older school though, just changed their name. Heard it's in the ghetto. Sorry, don't know more.

(nicedream) said:
Never seen a match list available for them. They are an older school though, just changed their name. Heard it's in the ghetto. Sorry, don't know more.

Have you ever lived in a city before? any city has parts that are not amazingly fancy, but kcumb is not in the ghetto

kumark13 said:
Have you ever lived in a city before? any city has parts that are not amazingly fancy, but kcumb is not in the ghetto

I knew someone from there would defend its honor, and I'm glad - that's why I said "I heard" and did not state it as fact.

kumark13.. how does KCUMB rank amongst its peers as far as board pass exams and post grad opportunities???

kumark13 said:

Hey guys, I'd like to get an idea of how many DO's go into Diagonostic Radiology and Radiation Oncology? I got my graduate degree at UCLA in Biomedical Physics and my area of specialty right now is pretty much in radiation oncology. I understand that both are a highly competitive field, and if going to a DO school will seriously hurt my chances, I was thinking of just going the MD route.

What do you guys think?

Go over to the Rad-Onc forum...this question has been rehashed ad-nauseum. Rad-onc is killer competitive now...you'll have to have research, contacts, LOR's, and great scores (USMLE) and rank...

Pewl said:
Hey guys, I'd like to get an idea of how many DO's go into Diagonostic Radiology and Radiation Oncology? I got my graduate degree at UCLA in Biomedical Physics and my area of specialty right now is pretty much in radiation oncology. I understand that both are a highly competitive field, and if going to a DO school will seriously hurt my chances, I was thinking of just going the MD route.

What do you guys think?

Rads is also very competitive - big emphasis on high boardscores. Whether it's easier for MD students or DO students is debatable. The advantage that DO students have is the availability of the AOA programs in addition to the ACGME ones. Possible disadvantage would be preference for MD candidates from some programs - whether that preference exists, and to what extent, is also debatable. Around 15 DO students match into ACGME programs each year, and then of course the AOA programs are filled by DO students.

Location is a big deal. A school might have Ivy on the walls and a 100% board pass rate and be in NYC, but if I went there I'd be unhappier than an Eskimo in Panama.

Go where you want to go, study like you've never studied before, and the boards will take care of themselves.

Old_Mil said:
Location is a big deal. A school might have Ivy on the walls and a 100% board pass rate and be in NYC, but if I went there I'd be unhappier than an Eskimo in Panama.

Go where you want to go, study like you've never studied before, and the boards will take care of themselves.

This is great great advice. It's actually kind of annoying sometimes because I'd to like to train in the northeast because of the great programs there - but I would be miserable.

shimmerz said:

Thanks !!
Hmmm...
I'd say that you should experience CCOM and PCOM, these are two of the first few schools that were founded after ASO (KCOM) and both graduate some fine physicians. I didn't like PCOM, but it was personal with me, I can tell it's a fine school and you will get a great education. CCOM is quarter-based rather than semesters, so I decided to withdraw. It's a fantastic school as well with great match lists.
Western/COMP was interesting, I found it to be less friendly than what I wanted, which is likely due to it being in SoCal. Also, I didn't like their core rotation locations. Although I've heard you can rotate through County and LB Memorial is also a possibility. So it was mostly the clinicals that I found lacking, still they produce fantastic docs too, just look at their lists and such. Another thing about COMP is their administration has had some rocky times, which made me nervous...it can be far more impt in a private school.
WVSOM is outstanding for rural care, one of the top med schools period for that, up with PCSOM and MSU. :D
Touro I never visited as I wanted an established school and knew I'd be able to choose my school, plus I didn't like the location (not so picturesque, although Fee Hall isn't a beauty either).
Nova, I honestly don't know almost anything about.
In all seriousness, choose the school where you're most comfortable. Also consider residency placement and such, and finances/location/support, but realize that the most impt thing is to minimize your stressors during this process, as such, happiness is paramount!!! :thumbup:
Hope this helps, best of luck!

Thank you so much for the advice you guys..... I have now narrowed it down to CCOM, PCOM, Western, and Nova.. the other schools where I had interviews at I dont feel like I really matched with and didnt have as much to offer as some of the other schools.. I still haven't heard back from TCOM, which is another school I will rank high. if you guys have any more advice.. keep it coming!! I have this thread suscribed so I check it as soon as someone posts something.. :)

Pewl said:

What do you guys think?

Not many. Less manipulative medicine in those fields. :laugh:

Seriously, if you really think you want to pursue Rads or Rad Onc, you should strongly consider MD school.

I went through the match process for Radiology as a DO and it was pretty frustrating....much more anti-DO sentiment in a specialty like Radiology vs. something like Internal Medicine, etc. Why should a program take a DO when they can take a MD? That is an important question when it comes to competitive residencies/specialties. (And before any of you med students start attacking me, with all due respect, unless you have gone through the residency application/matching process, you don't have any clue).

I think Rads would be a little more attainable as a DO than Rad Onc, and not just because there are DO Rads programs, but because there are so few Rad Onc spots in comparison. But even as the other poster said, 15 DO's getting into ACGME programs out of all the available spots is not that many...and I don't know where he/she got that data, or if it is true, but that's pretty tough if it is true...

If you are a DO and with the background you gave, if you can get involved in some good Rad Onc research and get to know well-known Rad Oncs in the field, and do good(REALLY GOOD) on your boards, then you could probably pull it off......but know that Rad Onc would really be an uphill battle as a DO. Your undergrad would also work well if you wanted to go into Rads, just do the same thing, get to know some people, and try to get some research. Problem is, it is difficult to get involved in good research when going to a DO school, because not many have strong research opportunities....might have to look for a special program between first and 2nd year or something.

I know of only two people in my class (WesternU/COMP 2005) who went into Radiology...1 Military match, and 1 ACGME. I think there was only one last year who matched into a DO program in Michigan. No Rad Oncs that I know of at all from my school...at least the past two years.

So in summary, I'd shoot for MD if you want to do Rads or Rad Onc, but if it means taking a year off and reapplying, then you'll have to decide if you want to take a year off or just go to DO school. If you do go to DO school, study hard for your boards to keep your doors open, and who knows, you may fall in love with OMM and want to do family practice focusing on manipulation. :rolleyes: lol

Good Luck!

Obviously if he could have gotten into MD he would have. Most ppl go to DO as a backup. I am NOT bashing DO's, actually i got accepted to 2 DO school, western and Nova, but i would rather go to an MD. As you stated, most ppl dont know or will change their ideas on residencies, and as a DO you have a hrader time, even if it only means taking the usmle. I picked Nova over western, i didnt like the western campus that much, and in Nova i felt closer to the city, but it is going to be soooo damn hot for a few months every year.

Ski2Doc said:
Obviously if he could have gotten into MD he would have. Most ppl go to DO as a backup. I am NOT bashing DO's, actually i got accepted to 2 DO school, western and Nova, but i would rather go to an MD. As you stated, most ppl dont know or will change their ideas on residencies, and as a DO you have a hrader time, even if it only means taking the usmle. I picked Nova over western, i didnt like the western campus that much, and in Nova i felt closer to the city, but it is going to be soooo damn hot for a few months every year.

Yeah...when I first interviewed at WesternU/COMP and saw the campus, I was like "What the deuce?" :laugh: But it looks nicer on the inside...

Ski2Doc said:

Well I am currently in the process of interviewing everywhere for both DO and MD. I did a ton of research in grad school for radiation oncology and I know personally the radiation oncologists at UCLA, Torrance, and Palm Springs Desert Regional center, but then that's just in SoCal, haha. It's gonna be an uphill battle for radiation residencies regardless of which degree I have.

Ski2Doc makes an excellent point. I feel kinda crummy about doing it, but the DO programs I got into are currently on the backburner right now. I have five MD interviews that I'm working on right now and I actually look forward to Wayne State's interview. They have a strong biomedical physics program (almost as strong as ucla and wisconsin) and they are home to the renown Karmanos Cancer institute =D. About 40% of their reserach is in oncology.

Well, either way my first task is to get into an MD place first, maybe even as an ego thing. I wanna prove to myself that I'm competitive enough to get into a MD program as well. After that, residency stuff will take care of it self later on =P

shimmerz said:

Thanks !!

The administration doesn't really give you much love at NSU. we have all sorts of problems and it seems they don't care about our opinions.

Vince said:
I think Rads would be a little more attainable as a DO than Rad Onc, and not just because there are DO Rads programs, but because there are so few Rad Onc spots in comparison. But even as the other poster said, 15 DO's getting into ACGME programs out of all the available spots is not that many...and I don't know where he/she got that data, or if it is true, but that's pretty tough if it is true...

Just to provide some solid data:
From the September 7, 2005 issue of JAMA:
4,160 total residents in radiology, 139 are osteopathic (spread over 5 years = avg 28/year so I was a little off)
526 total residents in radiation oncology, 8 are osteopathic (spread over 5(?) years = 2/year)

HoodyHoo said:
The administration doesn't really give you much love at NSU. we have all sorts of problems and it seems they don't care about our opinions.

do you say this mainly about the whole attendance/dress code/intensive classroom schedule issues? it seems like nsu has a lot of unhappy students, and i'm just looking for details.