Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ok, you may not respond but oh well!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CarolRossMD68, Nov 29, 2000.

1. CarolRossMD68

CarolRossMD68 GO BUCKS
    10+ Year Member

Ok, I'm still in high school and everyone who is reading this is probably closing this out right now and not reading any further.

For those wonderful kind people who are reading this the whole way through THANK YOU!

Ok, I want to eventually become a doctor and practice emergency/trauma medicine at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. I know you think I'm crazy already but please keep reading.

Would it better my chances of getting a residency @ County to go to a Chicago-area medical school and do my rotations @ Cook County? Or is everybody's chances the same no matter where you go to medical school?

Kate- Hopeful MD 2010

------------------
    If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
    I've never been to good at taking orders. Doyle

2. limit

limit Molesting my inner-child
    10+ Year Member

It's nice to see determination so early. Well, it would have been easier if you just lied and said you're a 2nd year med student and asked this in the Allopathic section of this forum and you'd get must more and qualified responses.

Nonetheless, I'm no expert, but I believe it's all about what and how you do it, not where you do it, although it helps to do it at as prestigious and friendly environment possible to succeed in it... What is it we're doing again ? [​IMG]

Good luck for your road ahead.

3. wooo

wooo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm not ignoring.....I just don't have a clue.

Good Luck

4. alceria

alceria Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I recently read in a guide to medical school and the years after that said it's helpful to do rotations at the hospital you want to do your residency at. That way you have an opportunity to make some contacts and impress them. Of course this isn't a requirement, but I don't see any way it could hurt unless you really messed up on your rotation.

The book I read had some interesting perspectives on rotations. Some students felt they should do the rotation that they felt they wanted to pursue first in their series of electives, that way, if they ended up hating it, they could go on to their next rotations with their minds open. However, another student had a plan that I thought was really good. He wanted to be an internist, but he scheduled his internal meds rotation after ob/gyn. That way he got to practice his basic clinical skills (like putting in IV's, etc) on patients that were generally in very good health. Once he moved on to internal medicine, he had enough experience to be trusted to do more interesting things in this rotation, which made it a more fulfiling experience. I think that is a good way to go about it, and I think I will probably do this too. By scheduling the rotation farther into the semster you'll have time to build confidence and skill so when you go to the one where you really want to make a good impression you'll be sucessful.

Finally, I would just like to say that you should keep your options open. It's awesome that you already know what you want to. I wish I would have been so sure of myself at your age. I went back and forth between going into the arts or going into science for years. But don't limit yourself. You might find out that you make a good ER doc, but you could be a terrific neurosurgeon or anything for that matter. Just try to get the most of your college experience and worry about specialties later. I've read that most people that go into med school wanting to specialize in one thing often end up doing something widely different. Just don't burn any bridges! [​IMG]

------------------
    ^v^

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As another poster has suggested, doing what is called an "audition rotation" at a particular hospital you're interested in will significantly improve your chances of becoming a resident there. So when you're a fourth-year medical student applying to Emergency Medicine programs, you'll do a rotation (usually about 4-weeks long) at Cook County Hospital and hopefully do well enough for them to take you as a resident the following Fall.

But what if you attend one of Cook County's many (major) affiliated medical schools? According to AMA-FREIDA those are the University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago Medical School, and Rush Medical College. I've always been of the mindset that those who know you for more than 4-weeks tend to like you if you do well, so I'd think that going to one of these medical schools and eventually doing a third-year rotation in the ER and then taking a fourth-year elective in the ER would increase your chances even more. Good luck in your career. You've got a long way to go, but keep interested!

Tim of New York City.

6. PimplePopperMD

PimplePopperMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you're sure of what you want to do, an option is this:

U of Illinois - Chicago offers a Guaranteed Admission program to competitive high school students... that is, if you get into the program (which from what I understand isn't easy) you're guaranteed a spot at UIC med school as long as you maintain a GPA. UIC-med is currently affiliated with Cook, as well as many other hospitals. Note that affiliations DO change, but you'd easily be able to arrange a rotation there.

I think the program is officially called "GPPA"... if you want to look it up on the www.uic.edu website.

Best of luck!

7. CarolRossMD68

CarolRossMD68 GO BUCKS
    10+ Year Member

Thanks!

Katie- MD?2010

------------------
    If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
    I've never been to good at taking orders. Doyle