okay/bad interview but still got accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldreams2021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm feeling a little down because i recently had an interview at one of my dream schools and it was okay. just okay i feel; i made a few really good points here and there but i think it was counterbalanced by a couple blunders i made. idk if i'm underestimating how i did but i'm beginning to doubt my chances. i really hope i get in because i love their program and can see myself being very happy there. i also don't want to go too far.

just need some words of wisdom from you guys. the interview process is eating away at me to the extent i'm having trouble focusing on schoolwork and feeling kind of empty :(

has anyone ever had a terrible/mediocre interview (according to how you personally felt about your performance) but landed an acceptance at that school??? or have that happen at multiple schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
had an awkward video interview at temple and got accepted.

i really wouldn't worry about it. More often than not, the places you think you did the worst at, end up accepting you lol.

Reactions: 5 users
I had my first interview a few weeks ago, and felt like i did OK only. They was drilling me with questions non stop, and I was struggling to answers two of the questions they asked. Left the interview with mixed feeling. Felt like I didn't do anything to ruin my chances, but I didn't do enough to guarantee me a spot. Luckily it wasn't my first choice so i wasn't too concern with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you read back at the worst interview answers thread, I believe there were some people who got accepted in the end despite their blunders :)

had an awkward video interview at temple and got accepted.

i really wouldn't worry about it. More often than not, the places you think you did the worst at, end up accepting you lol.

I'm glad to hear you got accepted at temple! :) I'm really hoping I get accepted to this particular school. What worries me is just that the interview process seems to be meant to weed out students and I don't know how forgiving they would be of even little mistakes? :/ wouldn't it just make their job easier to eliminate me?

I had my first interview a few weeks ago, and felt like i did OK only. They was drilling me with questions non stop, and I was struggling to answers two of the questions they asked. Left the interview with mixed feeling. Felt like I didn't do anything to ruin my chances, but I didn't do enough to guarantee me a spot. Luckily it wasn't my first choice so i wasn't too concern with it.

I can completely relate to you about the mixed feelings! I feel like I did somewhat good, but idk if it was good enough :/ but I hope we both hear back with good news! :)

If you read back at the worst interview answers thread, I believe there were some people who got accepted in the end despite their blunders :)

I've read that thread! I need to add my blunders there too now hahaha (there will be quite a few)

Another question I have is that should I send thank you notes to my interviewer and the admission directors who led the interview day? I am genuinely interested in the school and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to interview there. And especially since my interview was just okay (at least in my eyes), would sending thank you notes help my case?

Another question I have is that should I send thank you notes to my interviewer and the admission directors who led the interview day? I am genuinely interested in the school and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to interview there. And especially since my interview was just okay (at least in my eyes), would sending thank you notes help my case?
I dont know if it will help, but i send it anyway after my interview. I just talk about what i learn about the school, and thank them for the opportunity to interview there.

I dont know if it will help, but i send it anyway after my interview. I just talk about what i learn about the school, and thank them for the opportunity to interview there.

Do you use email to send the thank you notes or do you send a physical card via mail?

I used email. It was just more convenient for me.

Do you use email to send the thank you notes or do you send a physical card via mail?

I used email. It was just more convenient for me.

I handwritten mine before but I feel email is WAY better. They can always go back to it. They throw those physical letters and notes out. Anyway, I read on SDN someone did so bad in their interview they cried during the interview and still got in. Maybe they felt bad. Maybe we should all cry. Lol. Jk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read an article written by a woman who had previously been on a med school (I'm sure it's similar for dental schools) admissions committee that stated the people who gave interviews and got thank you letters put them directly into your file with your application. She said that when time came to make a decision on your acceptance or rejection, it definitely was seen by everyone that you sent a letter.

I'd say send a letter.

It is the year 2016, email is the way to go. The entire office communicates by email. Do you really think they snail mail everything to each other?

Reactions: 2 users
All interviewers are aware that you are nervous. They also know you are there to try your best. Once you have been selected for an interview, it is an affirmation that your credentials are adequate for the school. Now they want to see if you will fit into the class they are trying to build. You are not privy to what they are looking for, or what they might need. Do your best. You can never be all things to all people.

Remember it is not your perspective of the interview that counts, it is theirs. You did all you could, and now its time to wait for Dec 1st to learn where your position is. Move on from the ones you've already done because you tried your best. Focus on the acing your other future interviews!

It is the year 2016, email is the way to go. The entire office communicates by email. Do you really think they snail mail everything to each other?

You'd really say that an email would be better than snail mail? I'm not arguing, I'm honestly curious. I just know that all the professors / pi's I know literally never respond to emails unless you bring it to their attention in person (these people are very busy). I just feel like if you do a physical letter there's a pretty good chance it won't get overlooked. Anyone else's input is useful here too, I just don't know what the current norm is.

You'd really say that an email would be better than snail mail? I'm not arguing, I'm honestly curious. I just know that all the professors / pi's I know literally never respond to emails unless you bring it to their attention in person (these people are very busy). I just feel like if you do a physical letter there's a pretty good chance it won't get overlooked. Anyone else's input is useful here too, I just don't know what the current norm is.

Im not saying its better or worst. Im mainly saying sending thanks via email is not completely absurd. In fact many people, according to SDN polls, about 50% don't send a thank you afterwards. Send a thank you as a genuine gesture because you want to. Don't send a thank you expecting you would get preference when they start voting on you.

Absolutely do not send something like "Thanks for your time (etc etc whatever you write). Also I believe I am a great match for your school and I have x and x skills along with all these extracurriculars etc etc" because that is something you already have on your AADSAS application and something you've probably already gone over during the interview. Chances are they already have their minds made immediately after the interview. Now trying to add more convincing is just unnecessary. They don't want to read another long page of text, faculty are extremely busy people who oversee not only students, but other administrative personnel so you can bet they have a very busy inbox.

FYI I throw away or delete thank yous. I do not need to be thanked for doing my job. I know most applicants think it is polite, or it will bolster their chances, but the reality is that the application and personal interview are really enough. I would be interested to hear what other PD's think, and perhaps I will raise this question at the next ADEA national meeting.

For what its worth... I have sent emails to all my interviewers thus far and they all personally replied and seemed pleased that I took the time to email them..

Never even heard about this before. Is it worth reiterating in the email that a particular school is my top choice? Or does that make me sound repetitive and pushy?

I was so akward and nervous at my interview, and was just worrying myself/kicking myself on the car ride back the whole time. First off, BREATHE. They adcoms know your human and that you're nervous!!! I still got accepted and it was a big sigh of relief!! I promise you, you are fine. Dont stress yourself out about something you can no longer change, just no it'll all fall into place

Anyway, I read on SDN someone did so bad in their interview they cried during the interview and still got in. Maybe they felt bad. Maybe we should all cry. Lol. Jk.

I talked to an old friend of mine last week who is currently a D1 at my dream school. She told me that she got too emotional and cried during her interview. It worked out for her apparently as she got accepted.

Within the past month I walked out of one interview feeling super good and feeling a bit nervous from another one. The interview style from those 2 schools are just different, one is a super chill 1-on-1 conversation while the other one is more serious, challenging with 2 interviewers.

I talked to an old friend of mine last week who is currently a D1 at my dream school. She told me that she got too emotional and cried during her interview. It worked out for her apparently as she got accepted.

Within the past month I walked out of one interview feeling super good and feeling a bit nervous from another one. The interview style from those 2 schools are just different, one is a super chill 1-on-1 conversation while the other one is more serious, challenging with 2 interviewers.

Would you mind sharing which school had the chill convo and which one had the more serious interview?

There are plenty of anecdotes were people thought they completely bombed their interview, but ended up getting in.