Okay everybody, I need your help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FutureM.D., Nov 10, 2002.

1. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

Hi, I'm a freshmen at the university of florida. Tomorrow(Monday) I have to register for the Spring semester(my 2nd semester). I have to take calc 1(4 credits), gen.chem 1(3), chem lab(1) and Spanish(5) . I know that is only 13 hrs and I could take a social psychology course that would bump it up to 16, but I'm afraid that might be too much and I'll screw up my GPA or something. Calculus is definetly not my strong point. So if I only take 13hrs(without the psych course), will that look bad to med schools? Will they think I can't handle it or something? I'm not trying to be lazy or anything, I work really hard, but I don't want to overload and risk messing up. What do ya'll think?:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FutureM.D.

7+ Year Member

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have talked to 2 advisors. One said that I should not take the psych course because the spanish is a rigorous course(as are chem and calc). Another advisor said It might be better to take the psych course as well, so that med schools see a good course load. So I'm in a bit of a jam here......:(

4. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I really wouldn't go down that low if I were you. Humanities courses are generally pretty easy and shouldnt be too much of a problem with that load.

5. siempre595

7+ Year Member

I think 13 credits is fine. I guess most people average around 15, but considering you're doing calc, chem, and a lab it makes it a heavier schedule. Why kill yourself with extra classes if you don't think you'll do as well overall? I highly doubt med schools are going to look at one semester of 13 credits, especially if all the classes come out well, and reject you for not taking 16. Do what you're comfortable handling and do it well.

6. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i think it depends on whether or not you find foreign languages easy. if they're difficult for you, i'd stick to the 13 credits. if not, i'd take a fuller load. but that's just me...

7. FutureM.D.

7+ Year Member

thanks for the help you guys! I also forgot to mention, this semester I only took 12hrs. and I'm planning to go to school over the summer for gen. chem 2 and possibly bio.

8. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    that said I would definitely take 16 hours. Most schools require about 128 hours to graduate in 4 years. if you were to take 12-13 hours per semester that would leave you short about 24 hours after four years. Now you could do summer school every summer but I know I wouldnt want to spend every one of my summers in school. Plus, your courses are only going to get harder so you might as well take a heavy course load during your first or second year while they are still somewhat easy.

9. STi555

STi555 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you are the only one that can really answer this question for yourself. If you can succeed at taking 16 hours then do it. Find out the reputation of the classes and judge yourself. I found gen. chem and calculus to be really easy but some other people had to study a lot for them. Most general psych courses are pretty easy and shouldn't require too much time, but the teacher can make the class really hard if he/she wants to so find out about the teacher's rep. I would try to take more than 13 credits as that is kind of low and it would be better to be more flexible when you are taking harder classes like organic, rather than having to take at least 16 credits while taking organic and your major classes.

10. STi555

STi555 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oh just realized that the psych course you are looking at isn't general, but the same advice still applies.

11. IlianaSedai

IlianaSedai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is a "normal" courseload for your college?

Since a "normal" courseload varies from college to college, I think you might want to take people's comments on this with a grain of salt. At my college, we didn't have credit-hours, and standard courseload was four classes; but at some places, four is really little, and at others....

I would say to do what is generally accepted at your own college. Sounds like it could go either way for you, but if I remember correctly, you can always drop a class before a drop deadline if it turns out too much?

12. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow, I must disagree with this one. This really depends on your school and its departments. At my school many of the "humanities" classes are quite difficult, with very few A's.

Future, you are taking two classes which are you core pre-med classes. My advice is to take the light load and ace them. Get those A's under you belt. Then if you get a B in Orgo you won't care as much. Take one summer school session, you can get a few credits there. Also, over the summer you could take a Community College course, if you school permits.

Good Luck

Ed

13. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

If you don't think you can handle more than 13 hrs of undergrad work in a semester... then med school is probably not for you. You need to be able to handle at least 16 hrs of undergrad work a semester. Not to mention that at most colleges if you don't take an average of 15 hrs per semester you won't graduate in 4 years unless you take classes over the summer... and if you have to take classes over the summer, that's really going to limit your summer experiences. Most pre-meds use the summers to do research and volunteer work or go abroad to volunteer.

Bottom line... you really should be able to handle 16 credits of entry level undergrad courses... especially if you're thinking of med school.

Of course, I'm assuming that the average course load is 15 hours and the max course load is 18 as it is at most univeristies that go on a semester system.

Just another note, since you can't have too many semsters in which you take less than 15 credit hours... you might want to "save" your lighter course load for when you'll be studying for your MCAT. That's what I did. I took heavy course loads my first two years... then only 12 credits the semester before the MCAT.

Either way... good luck :)

14. dr.day

dr.day Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am currently taking Calc, organic and physics. Its certainly not easy, but it is managable. I would personally think it might not be a bad idea for you to add the other class just to show that you can handle a tougher course load, but like the others have said, if you don't feel like you could do well, don't risk it. Only you really know how well you can handle it. Good luck!

15. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

look, its your freshman year, you can afford to take risks and make a few mistakes. go with the additional class. if I were you I'd rather get the heavier courseload upfront than be dealing with 18 credits as a junior or senior. is this psych class something that you really want to do?
    what I used to do was throw in one class that was done just for love and use that as my motivation for carrying the heavier courseload.

16. FutureM.D.

7+ Year Member

I'd like to thank eveyone who responded to my question. I've already registered this afternoon, and I went ahead and signed up for the extra psych course. I figure i'll give it a try the first week, and if it doesn't work out I can drop/add without penalty. Thanks again so much for your input!

Dark child: Yes, i love psych, it is also my major. One of the reasons why I think i should try for the 16hrs is because i think the psych is the only thing that will keep the calc and chem from turning me into a basket case! lol

Relatively Prime: I personally hate calc. Chem, well, I'm learning to get along with it. However, i don't think my dislike of calc is a reason to not go to med school. I'll do everything possible to get where I want to go, no matter how hard it is or how much i hate the things I have to do to get there. P.S. I'm not fond of physics either, but bio is cool

17. Mwz1024

Mwz1024 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    DROP SPANISH!!!!!! It isn't as important as psyc...I also highly recommend u taking Bio with lab...from what it looks like, u are a little behind...i wouldn't worry about the foreign language.

18. FutureM.D.

7+ Year Member

I would drop the spanish course, but it is part of my university's foreign language requirement. I took a spanish course this semester as well, so this Spring is when I'll be taking my last spanish course.

19. bella_dottoressa

bella_dottoressa make it happen
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't take the extra class. 13 hours is kinda low, but still. I'm taking calc II, chem w/ lab, english and a intro to the university class which is now over. Calc and chem occupy so much of my time that it would be very hard to have another class on top of it all. I think it really depends on how easy math comes to you and how hard you think Spanish is going to be. Better grades are going to be better than a big courseload. Next quarter I have scheduled Bio, Chem w/ lab, Psych 300 and Anthropology...19 hrs...I am 99% sure I will end up dropping the Psych or Anthro.